Real reasons for purchasing the Lumia 950/XL?

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I jumped from Icon to 950 primarily b/c I needed to separate my business from personal cell accounts, and I figured it was a good opportunity to try out the new machine. I figured the camera would be better and I wanted to try out WM 10.

Now that I made the jump, the camera rocks and it's SO nice to have Glance back! The whole OS works great for me, and I lack nothing in it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I jumped from Icon to 950 primarily b/c I needed to separate my business from personal cell accounts, and I figured it was a good opportunity to try out the new machine. I figured the camera would be better and I wanted to try out WM 10.

Now that I made the jump, the camera rocks and it's SO nice to have Glance back! The whole OS works great for me, and I lack nothing in it.

Shhhh. Praise should be given quietly on these boards. The naysayers have amazing hearing ;) lol.

PS, you are not alone, I like them as well.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I love my 950, but for some obscure reason, I still can't give up my old house brick 1320. Strange. I read all the doom merchant threads and posts and despite what I read, I have my own mind and I see things for myself. Ok, it doesn't have the same feel as my 930 or 1520, and yes, it does feel a bit fragile. It does everything I need it to. I don't run games, got an Xbox for that. I use the office suite quiet a lot, email constantly, one drive and lots of calls / texts. For me, the device works brilliantly as a device for using and multi tasking, and doing stuff on the go. The OS is robust for me apart from Cortana. It is now a car crash. No updates, live tile stops etc. Apart from that I love the device, and if shallow fashionista's buy a phone as a status symbol to brag about, they are welcome to it. I'll keep my 'grown ups' device, and it will be my dirty little secret!

md_bluelily

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded from Windows Phone 7 to Lumia 950XL last week and I should say despite the initial issues I faced, I really love my new phone. I was given "lectures" from friends and colleagues to just buy an Android or iPhone device but I prefer to remain in a unified (still forming and coming together) ecosystem. I cannot move to Apple cage as I compared Windows 10 mobile to iOS and very dislike the UI (personal preferences of course). In addition, I believe one pay more than what they get when on Apple products and still doesn't have all the productivity that could be gained on Windows. As a developer, more than half of the tools that I need is not on Apple platform or Linux and I'm more than happy to remain on Windows as I see how smooth and user friendly Windows is compared to Mac OS (Apple fans might kill me after reading this sentence). Android is a totally different story; my wife used to be on Android (She's jolly happy now with her beloved Lumia 930) and was always complaining about performance. I remember I tried learning to develop Android apps a while ago and honestly they were the most dreadful days of my life. I tried an Android phone as my second phone to see how it fits my needs. I decided that I can easily get all the tasks done on my Windows Phone and Android wasn't and isn't my cup of tea to be honest. Lack of consistency in the UI, sluggishness, unattractive UI and security issues all put me off.

As I said earlier, I upgraded to Lumia 950XL last week and initially it was all disappointment as I was surrendered by a lot bugs that I could not find any solution for them. The most annoying one was that as soon as I pressed the power button I was getting "could not recognize you. swipe up to enter pin"; it wasn't even trying to recognise me! Then there was another issue where pressing power button wasn't turning the screen on but Iris scanner was trying to scan without any further success. Another issue was after unlocking the phone, the brightness was really low and only a restart could fix it. It might worth to add that Cortana was ignoring me most of the times and I had to unlock the phone first, run the Cortana app and then she was paying some attention for a while and then again decided not to talk to respond! I also had three freezes; once by itself in my pocket and twice when I was trying to use Edge. After couple of days of desperation to find a solution, I decided to reset it and start fresh today. It's working like a treat now and none of those issues have come back yet! Will share my experience in the coming weeks if any of these happened to come back again.

Overall, I really like the Lumia 950XL and enjoy carrying it around with me. The screen quality is exceptional. The camera is just marvellous (even my Android lover colleagues are giving it praises). The design is 7 out of 10 but still the handset looks really nice (I love the Microsoft logo on the back). I'm sure adding a Mozo cover will add the premium and flagship quality to the phone. The OS runs very smooth and is very fluid no matter how many apps I keep open at the same time. My next step is learning UWP and trying to make some apps for Windows 10.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
At this point keep your Nexus. I came back because...well I thought Microsoft had gotten it's act together "based on nothing" :)
I think I know what they're doing, but the phone wont take off for years if ever. They would be better served to keep making Arrow and updating their services on other platforms. I think they'll keep the phone around as a POC for what it could be, but at this point the OS phone wars have been won.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I love my 950, but for some obscure reason, I still can't give up my old house brick 1320.
Device attachment?

My Lumia 950 has been superb in every aspect from stability, to performance, to battery life and camera quality... but me and my Lumia 820 have just been through too many times to chuck it out.

abelardo2

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Besides the simplicity of being productive, the way it interact with windows outlook, which is my every day at work, agenda, mails, contact, etc. as simple as that. Why have your desktop (windows 10 os) interact with other than windows? My advice, keep your computing needs spinning around the same Os :wink:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well for the cost benefit; 950XL has equal or better specs than the Note 5, mi other option, I prefer policarbonate to metal simple because I got a Amzer protection doble case for it, after updates it's been pretty stable... So basically: it's lighter, dual SIM, big screen, good aspect to size ratio, good ppi, 8 cores, micro SD uo to 2Tb, 20Mb camera, stereo recording, USB-C, Iris scanner, bigger battery and all at a bit lower Price!
View attachment 121366

I want to scream at everyone on this site who says the 950/xl is NOT flagship specs. That chart right there is proof. I wish people would quit their moaning or leave. The xl is a sweet phone. I am having one and a normal 950 soon. I love WP, it's not going anywhere. People either need to goto lagdroid or crapple, or shut the trap about all the negativity already. Sorry, RANT OVER.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I want to scream at everyone on this site who says the 950/xl is NOT flagship specs. That chart right there is proof. I wish people would quit their moaning or leave. The xl is a sweet phone. I am having one and a normal 950 soon. I love WP, it's not going anywhere. People either need to goto lagdroid or crapple, or shut the trap about all the negativity already. Sorry, RANT OVER.

Yes, the phone is great, but the OS on it is a complete garbage, ruins the experience. these would have been better off with 8.1

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The 950 XL doesn't seem faster?, it is faster. I haven't seen this phone say resuming.. once. The screen is beautiful! Camera is great, windows hello is cool, hey Cortana is a nice feature too, micro SD card can store everything now, maps, apps, videos, music, pictures etc. It really is a no compromise experience (after you install the firmware update because before that, the phone was really buggy). However I've noticed a bug when you try to change the brightness in the action centre when auto adjust brightness is off. The phone freezes for a while :(

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Had Android for a few years and wanted something different. No interest in iOS. Support a company where the breakdown is iOS-80%, Android-20%, WindowsMobile- me and another guy..

In the time I've had it (since Day One) the screen is simply beautiful..

Wanna know what premium looks like??? my 950XL sitting on a dark colored table with glance active.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I want to scream at everyone on this site who says the 950/xl is NOT flagship specs. ...

Yes, the 950XL has "flagship" specs. However, they are currently poorly executed specs thanks to the firmware and W10M utilization. Imo, the 950XL is about 90% from true flagship status, so close to being better than my 930. And I own both.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It will get much better very soon. AND.....everyone is moaning about SPECS. the SPECS for the 950/xl are as good and most are better than the crapple and android offerings. Can't please anyone.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It will get much better very soon. AND.....everyone is moaning about SPECS. the SPECS for the 950/xl are as good and most are better than the crapple and android offerings. Can't please anyone.

Who's complained about the specs?? The physical build is questionable in terms of flagship due to today's standards no high ends use polycarbonate anymore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Who's complained about the specs?? The physical build is questionable in terms of flagship due to today's standards no high ends use polycarbonate anymore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Many thinks this so call "standard" sucks as well. I wouldn't trade aluminium/glass for polycarbonate for 2 very practical reasons - 1. aluminium backs scratches like crazy unless you put it in a case, glass shatters and is a heat insulator causing phones to overheat (looking at you Sony Xperia) and 2) no wireless charging.

"Premium" build due to metal/glass is purely form over function.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss