Did tap to wake ever exist for 950XL?

realjoebongo

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering as I have had a 950XL for 12 hours and once I'd discovered this missing (but key to my way of working) feature I have requested a return on it to Amazon - it appears to be vexing many people, some say it's a conscious software decision to omit the feature, some say it's hardware related (possibly would cripple battery life on that beautiful screen).

But has it ever existed on the preview builds for the 950XL? If so this gives hope it may return one day and I could join the 950XL club again.

Back to the 640XL for me for now but here's hoping!

Joe

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't think the absence of "tap to wake" on the 950XL is enough reason to return it.

The feature has never been there and seems to have been omitted by design, Microsoft seems to want people to use the Glance function instead. I too miss the double tap feature and find myself doing it to my 950XL out of pure habit.

There's a few items for this issue in the Windows Feedback app. I suggest you add your vote to any relevant items there.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I don't think the absence of "tap to wake" on the 950XL is enough reason to return it.

The feature has never been there and seems to have been omitted by design, Microsoft seems to want people to use the Glance function instead. I too miss the double tap feature and find myself doing it to my 950XL out of pure habit.

There's a few items for this issue in the Windows Feedback app. I suggest you add your vote to any relevant items there.

Even my GF that doesn't use my phone very often (had a 1020 and a 830 so always had the double tap) noticed it the first time I gave her my 950XL. She asked "why can't I unlock it by tapping on it?"

Well....

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Number one reason I returned mine. It was like getting a new car with auto dimming headlights and finding out that you had manual blink the turn signal.
Glance is useless as I never locked my phone.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Number one reason I returned mine. It was like getting a new car with auto dimming headlights and finding out that you had manual blink the turn signal.
Glance is useless as I never locked my phone.
So the number one reason you returned your phone was lack of a feature you never use? If you never lock your phone, why do you care if you can double tap to unlock it?

OK, makes sense.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if double tap to wake is a firmware deal or OS level. I don't know if it would really conflict with Glance. I would strongly prefer tap to wake rather than having to hit the power button, regardless of whether or not I use Windows Hello or normal PIN to log on.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It IS a great feature. Love it on my other Lumias. But there is no official word that it will never come to the 950. Even rumors that it eventually will, as part of an update.

Far from a deal breaker for me. But I will be very happy to get it back if it comes.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, Glance was not the right term, I mean I do not let it lock such that I need the eye scanner or pin to wake it. My complaint is unlike when I use my 1020, I merely tap the screen and flick it up and I am ready to go, I do not have to grasp it. As I have also complained while I am reading something and I get distracted and do not keep touching the screen, it goes to sleep, with the1020 tap the screen, 950 full hand grip to press the secret button. Not a good trade. Even the 99 cent AT&T LG tablet has tap the screen wake.

So yes, tap to wake was my deal breaker.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, Glance was not the right term, I mean I do not let it lock such that I need the eye scanner or pin to wake it. My complaint is unlike when I use my 1020, I merely tap the screen and flick it up and I am ready to go, I do not have to grasp it. As I have also complained while I am reading something and I get distracted and do not keep touching the screen, it goes to sleep, with the1020 tap the screen, 950 full hand grip to press the secret button. Not a good trade. Even the 99 cent AT&T LG tablet has tap the screen wake.

So yes, tap to wake was my deal breaker.
same as you, i never lock my phone. i used 930 before. i use 950xl now. 930 has double tap wake function while 950xl doesn't. but to me it's no big deal to have the double tap wake function omitted. if it come back in the future, it's good. if not, no problem.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what planet you guys are from, but here on Earth if you never lock your phone it's likely someone will take it, get into your stuff, and steal your identity.

jeronimo21

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm dying to get this feature back from a update in the future. I have grown very accustomed to the screen tap to unlock and cant imagine going backwards here..

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Would be great if got set up as double-tap-to-wake from a dark screen & single-tap-to-wake from the Glance screen. I miss tap-to-wake since moving to the 950XL from 930. I'm tempted to go back to the 930 because of this and some other issues.

mr_vpw

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

There's a guy in my office who isn't buying a Lumia partially because of this issue, he likes it, he uses it all the time and thinks it's basically pathetic that a flagship phone can't do something so simple. I can't help but agree.

anon(6012307)

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's pathetic indeed; I need this when running. Now I have to search for the power button and many times I accidently press one of the volume buttons and/or a combination of 2 which starts the Feedback app or makes a screenshot.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss