Just wondering as I have had a 950XL for 12 hours and once I'd discovered this missing (but key to my way of working) feature I have requested a return on it to Amazon - it appears to be vexing many people, some say it's a conscious software decision to omit the feature, some say it's hardware related (possibly would cripple battery life on that beautiful screen).

But has it ever existed on the preview builds for the 950XL? If so this gives hope it may return one day and I could join the 950XL club again.

Back to the 640XL for me for now but here's hoping!

Joe
    01-28-2016 04:05 AM
    Personally, I don't think the absence of "tap to wake" on the 950XL is enough reason to return it.

The feature has never been there and seems to have been omitted by design, Microsoft seems to want people to use the Glance function instead. I too miss the double tap feature and find myself doing it to my 950XL out of pure habit.

There's a few items for this issue in the Windows Feedback app. I suggest you add your vote to any relevant items there.
    01-28-2016 04:11 AM
    I'm not really missing double tap but supersensitive touch.
    I don't know if it's a hardware or software omission.
    01-28-2016 04:21 AM
    Personally, I don't think the absence of "tap to wake" on the 950XL is enough reason to return it.

The feature has never been there and seems to have been omitted by design, Microsoft seems to want people to use the Glance function instead. I too miss the double tap feature and find myself doing it to my 950XL out of pure habit.

There's a few items for this issue in the Windows Feedback app. I suggest you add your vote to any relevant items there.
    Even my GF that doesn't use my phone very often (had a 1020 and a 830 so always had the double tap) noticed it the first time I gave her my 950XL. She asked "why can't I unlock it by tapping on it?"

Well....
    Ariman Amin likes this.
    01-28-2016 05:04 AM
    So, 930 missed glance, 950 miss double tap, i guess the new top gamma will miss both
    theefman and Ariman Amin like this.
    01-28-2016 05:19 AM
    Number one reason I returned mine. It was like getting a new car with auto dimming headlights and finding out that you had manual blink the turn signal.
    Glance is useless as I never locked my phone.
    theefman and Pirate Arr like this.
    01-28-2016 11:06 AM
    Number one reason I returned mine. It was like getting a new car with auto dimming headlights and finding out that you had manual blink the turn signal.
    Glance is useless as I never locked my phone.
    So the number one reason you returned your phone was lack of a feature you never use? If you never lock your phone, why do you care if you can double tap to unlock it?

OK, makes sense.
    01-28-2016 11:46 AM
    Not sure if double tap to wake is a firmware deal or OS level. I don't know if it would really conflict with Glance. I would strongly prefer tap to wake rather than having to hit the power button, regardless of whether or not I use Windows Hello or normal PIN to log on.
    01-28-2016 01:14 PM
    It IS a great feature. Love it on my other Lumias. But there is no official word that it will never come to the 950. Even rumors that it eventually will, as part of an update.

Far from a deal breaker for me. But I will be very happy to get it back if it comes.
    01-28-2016 01:34 PM
    Sorry, Glance was not the right term, I mean I do not let it lock such that I need the eye scanner or pin to wake it. My complaint is unlike when I use my 1020, I merely tap the screen and flick it up and I am ready to go, I do not have to grasp it. As I have also complained while I am reading something and I get distracted and do not keep touching the screen, it goes to sleep, with the1020 tap the screen, 950 full hand grip to press the secret button. Not a good trade. Even the 99 cent AT&T LG tablet has tap the screen wake.

So yes, tap to wake was my deal breaker.
    01-28-2016 04:51 PM
    Sorry, Glance was not the right term, I mean I do not let it lock such that I need the eye scanner or pin to wake it. My complaint is unlike when I use my 1020, I merely tap the screen and flick it up and I am ready to go, I do not have to grasp it. As I have also complained while I am reading something and I get distracted and do not keep touching the screen, it goes to sleep, with the1020 tap the screen, 950 full hand grip to press the secret button. Not a good trade. Even the 99 cent AT&T LG tablet has tap the screen wake.

So yes, tap to wake was my deal breaker.
    same as you, i never lock my phone. i used 930 before. i use 950xl now. 930 has double tap wake function while 950xl doesn't. but to me it's no big deal to have the double tap wake function omitted. if it come back in the future, it's good. if not, no problem.
    01-29-2016 12:55 AM
    I don't know what planet you guys are from, but here on Earth if you never lock your phone it's likely someone will take it, get into your stuff, and steal your identity.
    snakebitten likes this.
    01-29-2016 12:37 PM
    I don't know what planet you guys are from, but here on Earth if you never lock your phone it's likely someone will take it, get into your stuff, and steal your identity.
    it is annoying and time consuming to unlock the phone EVERY TIME i need to use it. i never set password nor use the hello.
    JRDEMASKUS and Rupert Holmes like this.
    01-31-2016 10:26 PM
    I'm dying to get this feature back from a update in the future. I have grown very accustomed to the screen tap to unlock and cant imagine going backwards here..
    Rupert Holmes likes this.
    02-01-2016 12:30 PM
    Would be great if got set up as double-tap-to-wake from a dark screen & single-tap-to-wake from the Glance screen. I miss tap-to-wake since moving to the 950XL from 930. I'm tempted to go back to the 930 because of this and some other issues.
    02-01-2016 01:09 PM
    The stupid button placement requires tap to wake
    02-02-2016 12:22 AM
    There's a guy in my office who isn't buying a Lumia partially because of this issue, he likes it, he uses it all the time and thinks it's basically pathetic that a flagship phone can't do something so simple. I can't help but agree.
    02-04-2016 04:15 PM
    There's a guy in my office who isn't buying a Lumia partially because of this issue, he likes it, he uses it all the time and thinks it's basically pathetic that a flagship phone can't do something so simple. I can't help but agree.
    +1
    02-04-2016 05:27 PM
    It's pathetic indeed; I need this when running. Now I have to search for the power button and many times I accidently press one of the volume buttons and/or a combination of 2 which starts the Feedback app or makes a screenshot.......
    02-10-2016 01:21 PM
    Still waiting on the double tap to arrive. Really sick of fumbling with the button.
    02-10-2016 02:12 PM
    It's one of at least three annoyances that should have a simple answer, but that MS have never commented on AFAIK.

- can we have double tap to wake? If so, when will we?
    - why can't dual sim devices get visual voicemail? Will they ever?
    - why doesn't AT&T already automatically recognize the 950XL as LTE capable (and when will it) ?
    Last edited by Joe920; 02-15-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    EMINENT 1 and Cache like this.
    02-10-2016 07:15 PM
    You could alternatively yell at the tops of your lung, "HEY CORTANA", then tap the home button. That is, IF Cortana responds. Been having a hell of a time with Hey Cortana not responding, even after training my voice.
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    02-10-2016 08:27 PM
    I miss both!
    02-11-2016 12:42 AM
    You could alternatively yell at the tops of your lung, "HEY CORTANA", then tap the home button. That is, IF Cortana responds. Been having a hell of a time with Hey Cortana not responding, even after training my voice.
    I've found that "Hey Cortana" is a bit temperamental. I'll set it to respond to everyone and it works for a while until it doesn't. I then have to set it to respond only to my voice and then it works for a while until it doesn't. That's my routine and it that keeps it going. I wish they would fix this bug.

Also, I wouldn't mind so much not having the double tap to wake feature if the button placement wasn't so terrible. Missed and mistaken button pressed constantly. I really wonder who was the genius who thought putting the power button between the volume buttons was a great idea for the XL. Dumb dumb dumb.
    midnightfrolic likes this.
    02-11-2016 08:31 PM
    I've found that "Hey Cortana" is a bit temperamental. I'll set it to respond to everyone and it works for a while until it doesn't. I then have to set it to respond only to my voice and then it works for a while until it doesn't. That's my routine and it that keeps it going. I wish they would fix this bug.

Also, I wouldn't mind so much not having the double tap to wake feature if the button placement wasn't so terrible. Missed and mistaken button pressed constantly. I really wonder who was the genius who thought putting the power button between the volume buttons was a great idea for the XL. Dumb dumb dumb.
    I agree. Cortana seems to work when she wants to.
    02-11-2016 09:38 PM