How can I fix an Lumia 950xl brightness issue?

md_bluelily

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950xl brightness issue

Hi,

I've recently bought a Lumia 950XL. After few days of usage it started to behave strangely which led me to think a hard reset was needed but all those problems appear again after a day or two of using the device.

The problem is when I leave the phone for an hour or so, when I press the power button the display doesn't turn on but the iris scanner starts scanning and even unlocks the phone and after 1 or 2 seconds the screen turns on! The problem doesn't end here unfortunately. The brightness of the screen sets to its lowest and changing it doesn't have any effect it at all. The only working temporary fix is to restart the phone which is not really convenient.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried a hard reset and didn't recover from backup but still I'm having the same problem.

Could you please let me know if anyone else the same problem?
Do you guys know if it is a known bug and (hopefully) is going to be fixed in the next update?

Many thanks.

md_bluelily

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950xl brightness issue

I don't believe disabling a feature that's meant to work can be considered as a solution! Anyway, I'll disable Windows Hello and will see if the brightness will remain the same throughout the next couple of days. Thanks for your suggestion.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

Do you have any screen protectors on the phone? If you have the wrong one it will screw up everything....brightness, phone calls etc...the proximity sensor does a ton of stuff

partha_padhee

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had the issue and I can say that the screen protector can create issues if it is not a proper one. Also this particular issue can be because of the malfunctioning beta iris scanner.

Harry Notermans

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Most probably your device has a hardware problem. Having it replaced would be the best option.
...my 2 cents...

md_bluelily

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

Do you have any screen protectors on the phone? If you have the wrong one it will screw up everything....brightness, phone calls etc...the proximity sensor does a ton of stuff

I have had the issue and I can say that the screen protector can create issues if it is not a proper one. Also this particular issue can be because of the malfunctioning beta iris scanner.

No, no case, no screen protectors.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

There are myriad of causes for 950XL to malfunction, like bad apps etc. At this time still I need to reset it from time to time because simply adjusting one or more setting not work then I know I must simplify my efforts to a reset usually removing battery SD SIMs.:shocked:

Cyric_Ozgur

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
it is the same. a normal reset solves the problem. but it does that every 2 or 3 days. it simply just uses the lowest brightness contrast lid whatever. no matter what I change, it will not bright the screen. but if I shutdown the phone and restart it again. it solves the problem for 2-3 days.

Cyric_Ozgur

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
which update? .122 or .107? I'm on .107 and still having the problem. actually it is ok to restart the phone to solve it. but annoying part is if I restart my phone my Band then will not pair with the phone. I have to everytime make them forget each other and re pair... so restarting the phone annoys me =)

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I wish I would have found this thread a long time ago. I've been having this exact same issue. Even running the latest builds. I can't find any way to reliably reproduce it, but it does this about once a day at random. Sometimes almost immediately after a reboot.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Weird, I haven't seen this problem for about 5-6 weeks, and today it happened again.
I think the last time was in the early 400-Threshold builds, when it was happening once/day-ish, like you say.

A reboot fixed it, but I hope this isn't a sign of things, in 14393.67.

The more I'm on the AU, the more issues I'm finding, that were all fixed (or at least obscured sufficiently) in 494...

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

I've had this problem since owning my 950xl from launch. A soft reset often clears the problem. I'm always on production build but it happens so infrequently I put it down to buggy software.

arie12345

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem with my lumia 950 xl.
No active iris scanner in my phone. Something unlocks the phone and after 1 or 2 seconds the screen turns on.
The brightness of the screen sets to its lowest and changing it doesn't have any effect it at all.
After 14393.67 it's much more frequently.
Did Microsoft representative is going to answer this?

Last edited:

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem earlier ( none insider) builds and even with new release preview build (10.0.14393.82). Problem persists with or without IRIS scanner.
What i have observed is, if I am on a call and a second call (call waiting) coming in or a conference call with more than two parties originated from my phone, this problem occurs. Some times, while on a call, a new notification also brings this problem in.

Looks like a notification bug.

Any one observed this?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

I've recently bought a Lumia 950XL. After few days of usage it started to behave strangely which led me to think a hard reset was needed but all those problems appear again after a day or two of using the device.

The problem is when I leave the phone for an hour or so, when I press the power button the display doesn't turn on but the iris scanner starts scanning and even unlocks the phone and after 1 or 2 seconds the screen turns on! The problem doesn't end here unfortunately. The brightness of the screen sets to its lowest and changing it doesn't have any effect it at all. The only working temporary fix is to restart the phone which is not really convenient.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried a hard reset and didn't recover from backup but still I'm having the same problem.

Could you please let me know if anyone else the same problem?
Do you guys know if it is a known bug and (hopefully) is going to be fixed in the next update?

Many thanks.
What build are you on? I've suffered this with the latest Insider build (14901). It was exacerbated whenever I added info to the lock screen. I had to press the power button over and over to wake it up and then the screen would be really dark. It was definitely the insider build that caused it because I've rolled back with the WDRT and all is fine again. Got DTTW into the bargain too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb