Messaging app takes a long time to load, texts are slow to send

shelbygt5252

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a lumia 950XL dual-sim from Microsoft, and it is a great phone. However, I am having a lot of issues with the messaging app right now. It takes a very long time to load the app and the individual conversations. When sending texts it takes 3-10 seconds before sending. I deleted all the texts on my phone, which I had backed up and loaded. This did not help. Please assist further.

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah im having the same issue with my 950xl... youd expect with a much faster processor you wouldn't have these problems... im sure its an OS thing - because my lumia 1520 didn't have this problem until I updated to the newest developers preview

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried signing out of Skype in the messaging app? It might not be the problem, but it's worth eliminating.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a lumia 950XL dual-sim from Microsoft, and it is a great phone. However, I am having a lot of issues with the messaging app right now. It takes a very long time to load the app and the individual conversations. When sending texts it takes 3-10 seconds before sending. I deleted all the texts on my phone, which I had backed up and loaded. This did not help. Please assist further.

It takes a good week to settle down on the MMS side...its downloading your whole history, even if you said no...just let it sit.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Just last week, I finally was able to update my Lumia Icon on Verizon to W10. I'm noticing the same issue with the very slow send of texts. My battery life has also taken a massive hit. I'm working through various settings. I'm wondering, did the problem resolve itself eventually, did you find a resolution, or are you still experiencing the problem (I hope not this option!). Thanks.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It takes a good week to settle down on the MMS side...its downloading your whole history, even if you said no...just let it sit.

Interesting. I had deliberately said "backup for the past month", when I recently had to reset my wife's phone, and I let it sit for several hours before doing the reset (I had been on a week or something like that, before, for a few months at least).
Sure enough, I was uber-unpopular later, when it refused to re-populate a single text thread, even 24-48 hours later, nothing...
So, if it's sync'ing your messages, and works, I'd really like to know about it; I'm fearing my next hard-reset, for a whole variety of reasons, from that last one we did...

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Just last week, I finally was able to update my Lumia Icon on Verizon to W10. I'm noticing the same issue with the very slow send of texts. My battery life has also taken a massive hit. I'm working through various settings. I'm wondering, did the problem resolve itself eventually, did you find a resolution, or are you still experiencing the problem (I hope not this option!). Thanks.

I had the same problem everyone is mentioning on this thread at the very beginning of Windows 10. I believe at some point this was a known issue and since then has been resolved by Microsoft. However, if it is occurring now on a new load of Windows 10 then I think it would be a separate issue from the one initially mentioned in this thread.

Out of curiosity, did you do a hard reset after loading W10 to your Icon?

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
No, I didn't do a hard reset, just a soft reset. The soft reset seems to have fixed my battery life issue, but the slow send of texts is still a problem.

FT-1960

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I too have had the same issue with slow to load texts. Been on the VZW Icon update about 10 days now and it seems to improved a good deal. HOWEVER, I cannot get my group and MMS (picture) messaging to work. I've been through the VZW troubleshooting gig and from their end, doesn't seem it's on their end, but not sure here. Would someone that has the ICON VZW W10 update share their messaging settings with me or give me any tips for resolving? I've tried almost everything I could find online to no avail, and there aren't very many other places to go to for help. The stock VZW Icon apparently does not allow you to add a MMS APN, or at least thats how I see it. Thanks for any assistance!

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
No, I didn't do a hard reset, just a soft reset. The soft reset seems to have fixed my battery life issue, but the slow send of texts is still a problem.

I would give a hard reset a try. It can be a pain to set back up (make sure not to restore from backup), but it might help the slow send of texts.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Does this happen with SMS, or must MMS?

If it's only MMS, I'd suggest flipping Airplane-Mode on/off a few times, before you do a reset. This will continuously reset the WiFi stack, among other things, and fixed some MMS problems on two of the phones in our family (much better than a hard reset).
If WiFi is enabled, current Windows Phone builds really struggle to send MMS, in fact it's almost a rarity that it works, at all.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Does this happen with SMS, or must MMS?

If it's only MMS, I'd suggest flipping Airplane-Mode on/off a few times, before you do a reset. This will continuously reset the WiFi stack, among other things, and fixed some MMS problems on two of the phones in our family (much better than a hard reset).
If WiFi is enabled, current Windows Phone builds really struggle to send MMS, in fact it's almost a rarity that it works, at all.

That's interesting, I have no issues with sending MMS with WiFi enabled. Are you talking about production build on WM10? I'm on the latest Redstone fast ring build and with Cricket.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting, I have no issues with sending MMS with WiFi enabled. Are you talking about production build on WM10? I'm on the latest Redstone fast ring build and with Cricket.

Release Ring, .456, although I haven't seen this recently (or maybe just not checked), since around .318 that I recall for certain.
For awhile though, sending with WiFi enabled wasn't possible, it would just sit there and bounce (again, release ring, but 200-300 builds), until I did an Airplane mode stack-reset (usually just turning WiFi off didn't do it).
This is on AT&T, but I don't think it was specific to the carrier (really we have the same carrier, since you have Cricket).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos