Just used continuum for first time on 950xl

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Connected to monitor, keyboard, mouse, and 2tb hard drive. The phone picked everything up with no problem and I ran a 90MB PowerPoint presentation with about 20 video files. Everything ran smooth as silk - which surprised the hell out of me. I didn't think it would be able to run the embedded video.

Pretty awesome!

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Connected to monitor, keyboard, mouse, and 2tb hard drive. The phone picked everything up with no problem and I ran a 90MB PowerPoint presentation with about 20 video files. Everything ran smooth as silk - which surprised the hell out of me. I didn't think it would be able to run the embedded video.

Pretty awesome!

And it will get better and better, it's promising.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

Pretty awesome!
I love windows phones and I use continuum heavily in my daily life. but....... try this: use the camera to take 20+ or more photos and then open a new word document and then insert those photos into the document. the word may crash / stop responding.

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I love windows phones and I use continuum heavily in my daily life. but....... try this: use the camera to take 20+ or more photos and then open a new word document and then insert those photos into the document. the word may crash / stop responding.

I have just tried to do that 3 times with 22 photos taken with the camera and no problem, it's even faster than I expected, I see no problem.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Pretty awesome!
Very cool. If the OneDrive team follows through on their plans to support offline file storage it's going to feel even more like an actual PC. :cool:

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have just tried to do that 3 times with 22 photos taken with the camera and no problem, it's even faster than I expected, I see no problem.
ok ok I was not clear enough. I omitted one condition: Try do the same thing when the word file is initially stored in OneDrive. That is, create a blank document, save it to OneDrive, add photos into it one by one, the word will save the file automatically every time your file have modification. Eventually, after 10+ photos have been added, the word will disappear...

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
ok ok I was not clear enough. I omitted one condition: Try do the same thing when the word file is initially stored in OneDrive. That is, create a blank document, save it to OneDrive, add photos into it one by one, the word will save the file automatically every time your file have modification. Eventually, after 10+ photos have been added, the word will disappear...

So the best way is it to create file on the phone and then upload to skydrive, as the frequent uploading is crashing word mobile.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried to play some full HD *.mkv files from external drive, but there was no sound. Did anyone experience this problem?

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
The only thing I would like is if some of the apps, such as Citrix Receiver, worked on it. Having a phone with a Citrix connection and keyboard and mouse in satelite offices would be a fantastic offering. Same with remote desktop as well.

paulmd

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using Continuum on my phone using VPN into the office and then the Remote Desktop Beta - working flawlessly!

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently using Continuum on my phone using VPN into the office and then the Remote Desktop Beta - working flawlessly!
I need some help in setting up remote desktop. I have a pc, running win 10 pro. I have an android phone which acts as a wifi hotspot. the pc uses the wifi shared from the android phone. I know the public ip address of the android phone. I know the private ip address of the pc. I installed port forwarder in the android phone. I know the pc uses port 3389 for remote desktop. but what port the android phone uses for remote desktop? what settings should I use such that I can control the pc at my home using my windows phone when I am not at home (i.e. not using the wifi shared from the android phone)? the default value (8080) seems not work.

when I am at home, my windows phone and the pc use the wifi shared from the android phone. they are in the same local network. remote desktop works easily. the problem is I can't figure out how to do the same thing when I am not at home. please help. many thanks.

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
3389 should forward to 3389.

If I'm reding this right. You're bridging the PC via the Android phone. If this is correct then use it's private IP address rather than public if you're on the same network (and ensure the Windows firewall is okay). If you're out and about then the Windows phone should connect to the Android phone which then port forwards 3389 to 3389 on the Windows PC.

It's a bit of an odd setup but should work until your 3G/4G connection drops.

Last edited:

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
3389 should forward to 3389.

If I'm reding this right. You're bridging the PC via the Android phone. If this is correct then use it's private IP address rather than public if you're on the same network (and ensure the Windows firewall is okay). If you're out and about then the Windows phone should connect to the Android phone which then port forwards 3389 to 3389 on the Windows PC.

It's a bit of an odd setup but should work until your 3G/4G connection drops.
thanks. i'll try the 3389 port on android phone.

your understanding is right. my android phone acts as the wifi hotspot. it has unlimited 3G data. there is no problem when i am at home while my windows phone, pc and the android phone all located in the same network. i can use private ip address to access the pc and port forwarding is not necessary in this situation.

my problem is i don't know how to access the pc when i am not at home. i know i should connect to my android phone via its public ip address but i don't know the port. i will try 3389 tonight and see if it works. thanks for your help. one more thing: when doing this, do i need to enter the port number after my android phone's public ip address? should i type, for example, 12.34.56.78:3389? or just 12.34.56.78?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think it would be able to run the embedded video.

I've wondered about that, given that if you're a sales rep out on the road, continuum could be a great way to run a presentation. I'd be worried the phone wouldn't work well enough for the video. Most excellent to hear!

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
thanks. i'll try the 3389 port on android phone.

your understanding is right. my android phone acts as the wifi hotspot. it has unlimited 3G data. there is no problem when i am at home while my windows phone, pc and the android phone all located in the same network. i can use private ip address to access the pc and port forwarding is not necessary in this situation.

my problem is i don't know how to access the pc when i am not at home. i know i should connect to my android phone via its public ip address but i don't know the port. i will try 3389 tonight and see if it works. thanks for your help. one more thing: when doing this, do i need to enter the port number after my android phone's public ip address? should i type, for example, 12.34.56.78:3389? or just 12.34.56.78?

Depends on the application. If you're using a remote desktop app then it should know to go to 3389. Do you have a firewall on the PC active? That may well be blocking it - you can test it when you're at home any way by changing the Windows phone to 4G and then test rather than waiting until you're out and about. Get it working whilst you're in the same place would be easier.

Your port forward rule should look like:
External 3389 to internal LAN IP of the Windows PC 3389

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had to give a presentation for some training, and the conference room only had an HDMI connection to the big screen TV, which my laptop did not have. I copied the presentation to my phone with a flash drive through the doc, and gave the presentation from my phone, all the time being able to use my phone... none of their android or IPhones could do that. It is still a little rough around the edges, but worked fine, and it will hopefully only get better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb