New Firmware rolling out for Lumia 950XL

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't matter which country the user is in. What matters is what country was the phone built for.

well mine was purchased from the states and I'm in Canada and I have NOT gotten the update... so what does that tell you?

BTW is this for insiders the update or is the general update for everyone?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
well mine was purchased from the states and I'm in Canada and I have NOT gotten the update... so what does that tell you?

BTW is this for insiders the update or is the general update for everyone?
not for insiders. if you are an insider, you must switch the status in the insider app from fast/slow ring to production otherwise you can't get this fw update.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
So, my question is this:

For the Insiders that received the Firmware Update, did you receive the FW update before, or AFTER receiving the OS .71 update?

Thanks.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Still nothing in Canada. Set Windows insider to production build and restarted the day it was announced.

:(

They are probably waiting on carriers to respond with the go ahead. I'm sure MS shows them changes/tests done and then they approve it. The last firmware also took some time on Rogers.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
So, my question is this:

For the Insiders that received the Firmware Update, did you receive the FW update before, or AFTER receiving the OS .71 update?

Thanks.
after.

the whole story is: my phone received the .71 os update as an fast ring insider. then I switched it from fast ring to production. then it received the fw update. then I switched it back to fast ring..

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Still nothing in Canada. Set Windows insider to production build and restarted the day it was announced.

:(

They are probably waiting on carriers to respond with the go ahead. I'm sure MS shows them changes/tests done and then they approve it. The last firmware also took some time on Rogers.

these phones don't need carrier approval except maybe the 950 AT&T models, the 950XL are unlocked and unbranded which has nothing to do with carriers... its MS who is sporadically releasing the updates lol

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
these phones don't need carrier approval except maybe the 950 AT&T models, the 950XL are unlocked and unbranded which has nothing to do with carriers... its MS who is sporadically releasing the updates lol
True, but in countries where carriers are actually selling one of them (AT&T in US for example) they may wait for feedback from that carrier before blindly pushing it to all the unbranded phones in that country. If AT&T came back and said "this firmware makes the 950 unusable on our network" they would fix it first.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
True, but in countries where carriers are actually selling one of them (AT&T in US for example) they may wait for feedback from that carrier before blindly pushing it to all the unbranded phones in that country. If AT&T came back and said "this firmware makes the 950 unusable on our network" they would fix it first.

yes that would be true for the AT&T 950, which is what I said in my post... but NOT the 950XL which is also what I said in my post... so I don't get why your saying what your saying... of course MS wouldn't wait to hear from AT&T to wait to release the updates for all the 950XL's

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately you're wrong. Firmwares contain a radio stack (cellular, etc.) and it concerns carriers. Of course, they don't control it as much as a "branded" ROM, but they have to give a green light for some parts of the firmware, even for unbranded variants.

In France, one operator (Bouygues) always reports on Twitter when hey have "validated" the ROM, when they only sell unbranded variants.

So Microsoft is not /totally/ independent from carriers, even for unbranded variants.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
after.

the whole story is: my phone received the .71 os update as an fast ring insider. then I switched it from fast ring to production. then it received the fw update. then I switched it back to fast ring..

Peter, thank you for that…I too, am trying that same routine, but thus far have been unsuccessful getting the FW update to hit – still in Production Mode though, and still trying to activate the FW update.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
France was one of the first to receive first fw update, and we haven't received the new update yet. Germany yes, but not France nor UK etc. Probably next week or week after next.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
yes that would be true for the AT&T 950, which is what I said in my post... but NOT the 950XL which is also what I said in my post... so I don't get why your saying what your saying... of course MS wouldn't wait to hear from AT&T to wait to release the updates for all the 950XL's
They will wait to get approval except at&t likely won't do tests of their own, just sign of on it. On branded one they would be doing testing, which would take longer.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not dependent on country nor location, but only on phone variant. I can take my French dual SIM device in Indonesia, it will receive the update only when the French Country Variant has an upgraded ROM. No matter where I am and which carrier I use.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
No update here yet. Unlocked/unbranded Lumia 950 XL in the Netherlands. Came back from Insider tho, had to go back to Publish and then restarted the phone. Not sure if this might affect the availability of the fw.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss