02-16-2016 01:54 PM
50 12
tools
    They do say it is remarkably sturdy though... So you might be a few miles off on that comment.
    02-11-2016 07:15 AM
    Wrong. Sony was putting heat pipes in their phones before Microsoft even made the 950XL.

Xperia Z5 using dual heat pipes to control thermal performance? [Update] | Xperia Blog
    Sony are using standard heatpipes... Look at the difference in cooling. The first Z-model from Sony using the SD810 lost more than 30% of it's power while being used which indicates a failed cooling solution.
    02-11-2016 07:25 AM
    Wrong. Sony was putting heat pipes in their phones before Microsoft even made the 950XL.

Xperia Z5 using dual heat pipes to control thermal performance? [Update] | Xperia Blog
    It's not a vapor chamber though. It's a standard heat pipe using copper. There area different types of heat pipes. Read up on them. :). Again look at the review. The tests speak for themselves.
    02-11-2016 09:58 AM
    I'd be more concerned that the 950XL bends like a stack of wet magazines. Try doing that with a 920 or 930.
    That's the point of gorilla glass 4. By having more flexibility it's capable of absorbing force better.

Although it becomes less scratch resistant, but handles falls better.
    aXross likes this.
    02-11-2016 10:01 AM
    Could it be something like this? Here goes: As CPU load increase, heat generated are vented out(depends on phone design, though), in the same state, cold air gets pulled/sucked in, due to a lower pressure and lesser surface area and device gets cooled down quickly. A process similar to how liquid coolers whether AIO or using custom distilled water for cooling the cpu.
    That process, my friend, requires a compressor - an energy intensive device. It's not easy to create pressure gradients (for the purpose of cooling) in a small space.

And then suddenly...... Everyone is a scientist!
    Oh, you just might be surprised.

Lol sorry, not scientist/engineering central here :D Just didn't want you to start thinking too hard ;) but thanks to @gpobernardo for his/her time :)
    You're welcome - I hope I wasn't too late, at least before things become a chaos of assumptions.
    02-11-2016 10:10 AM
    Tried both L950/XL phones, pushed hard enough and it not even bended, of course with more pressure applied you can break anything. Seen this video long time ago, and back then to me it seemed like phone was prepared for it, unscrewed or something, no idea, seemed really fakish, same trending agenda how bad both 950/950XL phones are in every aspect.
    02-11-2016 11:38 AM
    For real?!?! He takes a perfectly good phone and purposefully destroys it....what kind of a spoilt society do we live in....
    Jazmac, TheChazas, jmshub and 2 others like this.
    02-11-2016 01:16 PM
    For real?!?! He takes a perfectly good phone and purposefully destroys it....what kind of a spoilt society do we live in....
    Which makes you wonder about the legitimacy of the points being raised. Follow the money. Leads back to the verge. lol.
    02-11-2016 02:54 PM
    he originally posted the video as "fake water cooling", "but later changed it to liquidless" after WP fans gave him a hard time. However as a long time Subscriber I believe him to be a fair reviewer.
    telomoyo likes this.
    02-11-2016 10:37 PM
    That's the point of gorilla glass 4. By having more flexibility it's capable of absorbing force better.

Although it becomes less scratch resistant, but handles falls better.
    I'm referring to the actual housing of the phone. A high end Lumia shouldn't be that easy to bend.
    02-12-2016 02:34 AM
    Tried both L950/XL phones, pushed hard enough and it not even bended, of course with more pressure applied you can break anything. Seen this video long time ago, and back then to me it seemed like phone was prepared for it, unscrewed or something, no idea, seemed really fakish, same trending agenda how bad both 950/950XL phones are in every aspect.
    And because of that reason he actually comments very positively on the durability and general build quality of the phone?
    Seriously, just watch some of his other videos and how much pressure he applies in the bend tests. Not everything is a conspiracy...
    telomoyo likes this.
    02-12-2016 04:26 AM
    The thing is THE LIQUID is in solid state and once the processor gets heated then it converts to liquid and flows through the pipe to dissipate the heat so while cutting the Liquid Cooling pipe u cant get the liquid out of the box
    02-12-2016 05:33 AM
    Reminds me of the old story of the Emperor's new clothes.
    Just make a hole in a laptop heatpipe and you'll see how well it copes with heat. :D
    The fan will start spinning like crazy because of rising temps.

More info about heatpipes here:
    02-12-2016 06:23 AM
    Ha, Throttling is Under-clocking.
    02-12-2016 07:47 AM
    Ha, Throttling is Under-clocking.
    In some manner yes but it's not the same.
    02-12-2016 08:46 AM
    But in the end of the day, what is the point of this? like I said you can destroy/mess anything, and in a casual day scenario in pocket or else, not so possible, so it basically proves nothing, well maybe only for some people that don't understand anything about anything, nothing but mainstream of course and the way of making money.
    It is Absolutely pointless discussion like the test it self, but oh well, mainstream will carry on and we will see other devices or even more stupid thing being bend for videos, "entertainment" wise.
    On Topic, everything is fine about the Heat Pipe cooling, some refer it to Liquid, actual Liquid Cooling would be not even possible in a Phone, not at its size, Water Cooling maybe and this era I only imagine Thermal Head Pipe cooling for phones.
    02-12-2016 08:48 AM
    I'm referring to the actual housing of the phone. A high end Lumia shouldn't be that easy to bend.
    Maybe the flexibility is part of making the phone more reliable. We haven't heard of flexing in the 950 or 950 XL causing phantom touch issues like the 1520.
    telomoyo likes this.
    02-12-2016 04:48 PM
    Maybe the flexibility is part of making the phone more reliable. We haven't heard of flexing in the 950 or 950 XL causing phantom touch issues like the 1520.
    Umm... what?
    02-12-2016 08:37 PM
    couldnt he have just given me the phone thats a waste of that device
    02-12-2016 11:44 PM
    and the Lumia 950
    02-13-2016 01:31 AM
    Alcohol leaves a powdery residue when reacting to certain metals like copper. It is also a liquid, but only in a hermetically sealed container.
    02-13-2016 02:49 AM
    "...compared to a one-dimensional tubular heat pipe, the width of a two-dimensional heat pipe allows an adequate cross section for heat flow even with a very thin device. These thin planar heat pipes are finding their way into height sensitive applications, such as notebook computers and surface mount circuit board cores. These vapor chambers are typically fabricated from aluminum extrusions, and use acetone as the working fluid. It is possible to produce flat heat pipes as thin as 1.0 mm (slightly thicker than a 0.76 mm credit card)."

So... It's basically a sealed vapor chamber with acetone, that starts to evaporate at 56C (processor temperature or higher) in addition to the characteristic heat transference of the metal.

When the vapor chamber/heat pipe is no longer sealed the acetone will evaporate at ambient temperature like alcohol so... the guy of the video doesn't know how it works...
    02-13-2016 05:44 AM
    Umm... what?
    Which part confused you? You're discussing the flexibility of the 950. The design of the 950 with the removable body means that it won't be as rigid as previous phones, like the 920 or the 1520.

Besides, cell phone rigidity is hardly a direct factor in quality. The 1520 had issues with phantom touch, due to the phone twisting in users' pockets. A slightly more flexible 950 or 950XL may flex in the pocket, but spring back to it's original shape better than the 1520 did, eliminating the phantom touch issue.
    telomoyo likes this.
    02-15-2016 01:26 AM
    Which part confused you?
    All of them.

You're discussing the flexibility of the 950. The design of the 950 with the removable body means that it won't be as rigid as previous phones, like the 920 or the 1520.
    It will be less rigid but that doesn't mean it has to be weak and creaky feeling. My 820 also has a removable shell (in colors!) but feels ridiculously solid compared to my 640 which is exactly how the 950 and 950 XL feel like in person. Thin, light and cheap feeling. For the 640 it's acceptable because it's a low end device but for the mighty 950 and 950 XL it's just pathetic. Premium feeling my butt.

Besides, cell phone rigidity is hardly a direct factor in quality. The 1520 had issues with phantom touch, due to the phone twisting in users' pockets. A slightly more flexible 950 or 950XL may flex in the pocket, but spring back to it's original shape better than the 1520 did, eliminating the phantom touch issue.
    So being flexible somehow hurt the 1520 touch screen but for the even more flimsy 950 it's somehow a benefit? It sounds like the 950 would make a great sponge.

As for rigidity being a direct factor for quality it's not everything but it is a factor. A heavier more solid feeling device just feels better to me than light and creaky. It's why so many people complained about certain Samsung flagships feeling cheap. Why Nokia/MS decided to go down that path for their supposedly high end Lumias is both baffling and disappointing.
    02-15-2016 02:06 AM
    Premium feeling my butt.
    Urm... No... ...thanks?
    02-16-2016 01:54 PM
50 12