950XL: A Tale of Battery Drain & Salvation

naltvater

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
So it's been two weeks to the day since I bought a 950XL dual sim from the Microsoft store to replace my ailing 925. I have so far had a mixed experience with the phone. When everything works as it should, I love this thing. Not a resuming screen to be found, everything opens like lightning, the camera has blown me away. However, the one thing I noticed out of the box even a couple days after all the apps were reinstalled was that the phone when connected to cellular data would stay running hot in my pocket, with the battery draining to empty in a few hours time on standby. I updated from .29 which was installed on purchase to .76 then to .107 with essentially little to no improvement in battery life despite the usual tricks of disabling Skype in the messaging app and background uploading of stuff to OneDrive.

After a week of banging my head against the wall, only holding on to hope because I had one random day in which i received an amazing 20 hours of battery life without charge on moderate usage of news apps and 4-5 hours of constant Groove streaming, I think I discovered the culprit. One of my email accounts (Cablevision/Optimum POP3 email account) was set to download email "Based on my usage" and every single time I went to manage that account, it seemed to be syncing content. After I switched the setting to manual sync, I enjoyed a full week of amazing battery life. Then last night after being frustrated that that particular email account won't manually download the body of an email after tapping the "download (xx.xx kb)" button, I decided to update Outlook first (it hadnt been updated and I hadnt ventured into the store in a week thinking possibly the store app may also be causing my battery issues). This didn't work, So I ventured back into the account settings and switched from manual sync to "based on usage." Didn't fix the issue, but I decided to see if maybe I could leave that on and still enjoy the battery life I've had the past week. I wake up in the morning and take the phone off the charger. I don't do anything with it and wait an hour, and surprise surprise, the phone is a pocket warmer again while doing nothing and the battery went down much more than it had been the past week on standby, 10-15% this time instead of 2-3%. I pop back into email account settings, and the same account is syncing again. I let it go and see what happens. It just keeps syncing and syncing and syncing. Finally, I delete the whole darn account from my phone since it starts syncing immediately after a restart anyway thus not allowing me to turn the sync option off.

After deleting the email account, I wait a few minutes, then feel the phone with my hand. STONE COLD. No battery drain. Therefore I can only conclude after a week of experimentation that a major cause of battery drain on W10M is the OS constantly trying to sync email/contacts/calendar/god knows what when set to sync "based on usage".

I hope this may help others who find themselves having similar battery issues and have tried everything else out. With manual email sync on, I am enjoying 7am-11pm every day of moderate usage with cell data and location turned ON, without having to charge at all. Now if I can only figure out how to get these emails to download properly I will be golden.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
The fastest battery drain and most heat I've ever seen with a mobile device was on a Samsung S2 Skyrocket. An email with attachments failed to send one morning and ended up in the Outbox. It kept trying to send to the point where I could feel the heat in my pocket. When I pulled the phone out to take a look the battery had dropped about 50% in 10 minutes. I found the problem and deleted the email. Problem solved.

What does "based on usage" even mean??

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks at least I have somewhere to start. The heat and battery drain is killing me and today after doing a hard reset I am typing this with the unmistakable warm feeling on the button of my phone. I think I will delete my work email and see how that goes.

naltvater

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I set the outlook to sync email based on usage but the phone doesn't have battery drain issue....

In a frustrating twist to this story, since yesterday when I re-added the email account and set to manual sync, the battery drain begins again and the phone keeps trying to sync constantly even though I have it set to manual. I left it set to manual and let it go on the charger overnight and the phone stayed hot on the charger after it hit 100% for about 6 hours when it typically didn't for the past week when everything was normal. I then left it off the charger and it dropped 10% on standby in 45 minutes. Deleting the email account from the device again stops the drain. I do not have this sync issue with my outlook or gmail address linked to the phone, so I will just concede defeat on this issue for the time being and move all my accounts to another email address, since I can at least check those manually still without turning my phone nuclear. I'm not willing to do a hard reset at the moment or update to the next build to see if it'll stop.

To sum up, maybe not the sync option after all but some software issue with this particular email account.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad you found the culprit naltvater. So far I've been lucky with my battery usage and I love the quick recharge.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
In a frustrating twist to this story, since yesterday when I re-added the email account and set to manual sync, the battery drain begins again and the phone keeps trying to sync constantly even though I have it set to manual. ...

QUESTION:
You added again an email account to OUTLOOK and noticed again battery drained quickly. So can't we conclude that OUTLOOK is doing that?

naltvater

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
QUESTION:
You added again an email account to OUTLOOK and noticed again battery drained quickly. So can't we conclude that OUTLOOK is doing that?

It's not being synced by Outlook, it's being synced in the system settings. Outlook mail isn't using any battery in use or the background according to battery saver. Nothing to do with Outlook as far as I can tell. The system tries syncing it even if Outlook is closed and disable from running in the background.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
It's not being synced by Outlook. ...

OUTLOOK on my desktop can be customized to sync every nnn minutes as I specify. OUTLOOK on my 950XL also has similar customization settings limited to several minutes, 1 day, manual, etc. So I suspect it is OUTLOOK that is doing sync process.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
In a frustrating twist to this story, since yesterday when I re-added the email account and set to manual sync, the battery drain begins again and the phone keeps trying to sync constantly even though I have it set to manual. I left it set to manual and let it go on the charger overnight and the phone stayed hot on the charger after it hit 100% for about 6 hours when it typically didn't for the past week when everything was normal. I then left it off the charger and it dropped 10% on standby in 45 minutes. Deleting the email account from the device again stops the drain. I do not have this sync issue with my outlook or gmail address linked to the phone, so I will just concede defeat on this issue for the time being and move all my accounts to another email address, since I can at least check those manually still without turning my phone nuclear. I'm not willing to do a hard reset at the moment or update to the next build to see if it'll stop.

To sum up, maybe not the sync option after all but some software issue with this particular email account.

Can't you use a browser like UC or edge to check for mail instead of using the mail client. I'm sure that edge would work well though use a lot of data. Of course you would have to check manually as frequently as you need to

I generally only switch on cellular data when I need to and I don't keep it on indefinitely

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hope you used the Windows Feedback tool to report that POP accounts burn through phone battery. Most people use IMAP so it is possible that POP has bugs in the new Outlook.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The best fix for battery drain on the 950xl is to set you glance settings from 15 minutes (yes, for some dumb reason the default for glance is 15 minutes) to something like 30 seconds. I did this the day I bought my phone and never had any battery issues. Keep in mind that glance updates with a notification you have email - so the two working together to keep that big beautiful screen lit could exasperate battery issues.

I also made sure my screen timeout was at 1 minute.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs