Post your battery saving tips/suggested modifications

Joseph Buhagiar

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, I have just ordered my sexy little Black 950XL with a case and a tempered glass screen protector off the interwebs.

I should get it by the end of next week - good old Australian shipping. <3

I am looking for your suggested things to turn off/activate to have the best battery life.
I am also looking for your suggested apps/games that I should install as soon as I recieve the phone that was crafted out of Adams rib. :winktongue:

Thanks in advance guys! much love <3
Windowsboii420360noskope.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, I have just ordered my sexy little Black 950XL with a case and a tempered glass screen protector off the interwebs.

I should get it by the end of next week - good old Australian shipping. <3

I am looking for your suggested things to turn off/activate to have the best battery life.
I am also looking for your suggested apps/games that I should install as soon as I recieve the phone that was crafted out of Adams rib. :winktongue:

Thanks in advance guys! much love <3
Windowsboii420360noskope.

In Insider forum you'll find a lot of suggestion ;)

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
BEWARE of the tempered screen protector. I bought a decent one, and the bottom left hand corner would not stick down. The silicon refused to adhere. After a few minutes the other corners started lifting.

If you watch the light reflections in the corners, the light 'warps' as if there is a slight curve on the corners. I took my phone back and got a replacement, and this one does the same. The bottom left is quite pronounced. This is also the corner used to peel the back cover off, so maybe there is some strengthening in that area to avoid potential damage? The 950's carry a tempered screen well, with no lifting in the corners. I also got an Orzly case. Great bit of kit. Perfect fit, all buttons easily used, usb port clear of obstruction and head phone socket. The back is transparent and moulded around the camera. It is raised and covers the camera protrusion perfectly!!

Just beware of the tempered screen protector. Let us know how it fits.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
BEWARE of the tempered screen protector. I bought a decent one, and the bottom left hand corner would not stick down. The silicon refused to adhere. After a few minutes the other corners started lifting.

If you watch the light reflections in the corners, the light 'warps' as if there is a slight curve on the corners. I took my phone back and got a replacement, and this one does the same. The bottom left is quite pronounced. This is also the corner used to peel the back cover off, so maybe there is some strengthening in that area to avoid potential damage? The 950's carry a tempered screen well, with no lifting in the corners. I also got an Orzly case. Great bit of kit. Perfect fit, all buttons easily used, usb port clear of obstruction and head phone socket. The back is transparent and moulded around the camera. It is raised and covers the camera protrusion perfectly!!

Just beware of the tempered screen protector. Let us know how it fits.
actually the whole screen is not perfectly flat, not just the corners. you can verify by seeing the refection of a light tube from different portions of the screen. the light tube appears somehow slightly distorted.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is great and this is what I have setup:

Bluetooth
- Off
- I don't use BT for anything

NFC
- Off
- Same as bluetooth, I don't use it for anything

Windows Hello
- Off
- I don't use a pin so it's technically slower to unlock when enabled

Wifi
- On at home w/no issues, works great on a dual radio AP
- Off at work as there are too many ssid's, signal issues, channel bouncing problems which results in heatup and rebooting if left on
- Almost every single random reboot, heatup and lock up has been directly related to Wifi at work for me

Messaging+Skype
- SMS/Text only
- I sign out of Skype here as it eats the **** out of your battery if you use skype a lot
- Even when using Skype via the desktop client the integrated app still ate up the battery whereas the old Skype app does not

Glance
- Set to 30 seconds
- I used to have it at 15 min but I did notice a battery improvement moving it to 30 seconds

Hey Cortana
- Off
- I find I rarely have success with getting Cortana to respond and even when it was enabled more often than not I didn't use it.

Last edited:

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
BEWARE of the tempered screen protector. I bought a decent one, and the bottom left hand corner would not stick down. The silicon refused to adhere. After a few minutes the other corners started lifting....

Same experience I had with an Orzly TGSP (0.24mm). I ended up pulling it off because it looked fugly when the screen was off. Gorilla Glass is good enough anyway. No scratches on my Lumia 800, Lumia 930, or 950XL.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Check if you really need to set Battery Saver to a high value. Setting it to save power only when battery reaches 15 or 10% goes good. setting it higher is loosing battery fast in some cases !

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Check if you really need to set Battery Saver to a high value. Setting it to save power only when battery reaches 15 or 10% goes good. setting it higher is loosing battery fast in some cases !

If this is true it sounds very strange! Is there an electronics expert here to explain why? Thanks

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Change your privacy settings so that things don't randomly use your mic/etc for random stuff.

I have NFC set to "screen on" only.

Disable Glance.

Switch everything to dark mode and have a dark background for battery saving with OLED screen tech.

Turn off BT and data when not in use.

You can uninstall skype since it's built into the messager app.

Dual sim apparently uses a bit more battery than single sim variant of XL. Having TWO sims in uses even more battery.

Make sure you have autobrightness turned on. Mine wasn't on for a month or two!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Change your privacy settings so that things don't randomly use your mic/etc for random stuff.

I have NFC set to "screen on" only.

Switch everything to dark mode and have a dark background for battery saving with OLED screen tech.

Turn off BT and data when not in use.

You can uninstall skype since it's built into the messager app.

Dual sim apparently uses a bit more battery than single sim variant of XL. Having TWO sims in uses even more battery.

Make sure you have autobrightness turned on. Mine wasn't on for a month or two!

Everything here I get, but this I don't

Disable Glance.
Why would you disable Glance ... especially on an OLED screen?:confused:

kulf

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One modification I made: had to work on the batteries contact pins so they gripped the phone's contacts more firmly. Before I did that, the phone would randomly crash when "thrown" on a desk.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
You can turn on battery saver in the Action Center. You can also have the phone automatically enable battery saver after it drops below a certain % as desired.

Also disable any hardware that you don't need such as Bluetooth, wifi, etc.

disable using cellular data when wifi not present

close any apps immediately after usage

set your background running apps preferences

turn on battery saver, yes I said it twice

screen uses the most amount of power, so avoid turning the screen on

use dark theme

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Battery life on my 950XL has been very good on my phone there are a few rogue apps that have sucked huge chunks of battery though. Yesterday I downloaded the Amazon app and EBay app one or both these drained 40% my battery in a few hours. I deleted both and the crazy drain is no more.
I leave my WiFi switched on and use Window Hello. Phone seams very speedy after last nights update. Windows fast ring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99