On the newest Redstone mobile build and latest firmware, 950xl gets super hot when playing games like Minecraft PE, when charging or when interacting with screen via Edge.

So hot it's uncomfortable. Anyone else?
    02-25-2016 08:04 PM
    That's a very useful feature here in Alaska
    02-25-2016 08:06 PM
    Absolutely, but occurs with all apps not just games. It will chew through a 100% charge in less than 4 hours. This has occurred when not using the phone. I pick it up to use it and find it very hot even though no apps running and having not been touched in hours. With 10586.107 I had 5 - 6 spontaneous reboots each day. With .1004 I have the heat/battery drain issue. Did a total of 5 hard resets trying to get rid of the issue. The last 4 I did without restoring (fresh start which takes hours to manually restore to something similar to previous setup). The issue comes and goes. Night before last I put it on the Qi charger and 7 hours later when I picked it up it was hot as hell and immediately died from no charge. Plugged it in to wall charger and again hot as hell so left it alone for 5 hours and when I returned it was fully charged and cool. Today was good until I started using Facebook, Tweetium, Edge and Calendar (actually had uninitiated restart when entering some events into Calendar). Now hot as hell again even though I shut down all apps and only start screen going. Very frustrating!

Originally posted by mikepalma
    On the newest Redstone mobile build and latest firmware, 950xl gets super hot when playing games like Minecraft PE, when charging or when interacting with screen via Edge.

So hot it's uncomfortable. Anyone else?
    02-28-2016 10:22 PM
    Prior to last week update when my 950XL was connected to charger I used to place it near window with cold winter air blowing on it keeping cool while charging. However, this week after 2nd update I notice no longer I feel any heat while charging.

Under another heading here it was discussed that OUTLOOK been culprit for keep syncing emails & calendars draining battery as well as generating heat...so switching email accounts to sync MANUALLY seemed a solution preserving battery charge.
    02-28-2016 11:10 PM
    Could just be the Snapdragon 810 chip that is getting hot for no reason. That is one of its major issues. Wish I had known more about it before I bought it.
    02-29-2016 01:56 AM
    Seems the heat sink is useless?
    02-29-2016 02:20 AM
    Update of my earlier post. I believe that I have found the cause of the high heat/battery drain. When I first got the phone I put a Sandisk 200GB microSD card in but with each updated build I always declined to erase the card because I had a lot of data on the card (including apps). As a last ditch effort I removed the card and moved the data to my PC then formatted the card. I used WDRT to go back to go back to 10586.11 then updated to .107. I put the blank card back in and rejoined insider to update to .122 and everything is functioning normally. No heat issues and long battery life. I am guessing that old data on the card from previous builds caused the situation.
    Originally posted by mikepalma
    Seems the heat sink is useless?
    Mesbah likes this.
    03-04-2016 08:47 PM
    I have had some overheating issues in the past. (not the latest Redstone build). I had one where it was hot and was discharging faster than I could charge it in my car. Reboots did not help. I finally looked at background settings and battery usage and saw that messaging was using the most power. I turned it off in the background and it cooled down and got back to normal. The next day I set it back to be allowed to run in the background and all was fine. I think somehow some processes can get stuck in the background driving up CPU utilization. The strange part is that rebooting the phone did not resolve it. Mine can get pretty warm with some games and sometimes with Edge, but I used to have that even with Windows phones a few years ago.
    03-05-2016 12:18 PM
    Can someone test Minecraft PE? It about burns my fingers on 950xl
    03-07-2016 10:15 AM
    I used my infrared thermometer and mine gets up to 108F/42C. It feels VERY hot subjectively. My CPUs in my desktops would regularly get 45-50C and so relative to that it seems acceptable. On a technical level, I guess it's understandable. Day to day use though is a bit warmer than I'd like
    03-07-2016 04:43 PM