Can no longer install or update apps on my 950XL....

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
About a month or so ago, I noticed the "Get Started" app was stuck in the store download queue and would never update. The error message was always the same: 0x80070490. Odd thing is if I look in the app list, I see it there with no icon, but I can't uninstall it either.

Since then there's been updates to a whole bunch of apps and they all seem to get stuck in the queue with the same error message. When I try to force the update, it seems to go normally
- Get the acquiring license message
- Download looks to go normally
- Status bar switches to "installing" and hits 10%
- After hitting 100%, it then errors out

Tried resetting the device a bunch of times, but no love. Haven't tried a factory reset though. Any ideas? I just noticed that I can't install any new apps either. Same error

Misc:
- Apps being installed to the phone, but there's a 128gb sd card installed for pictures
- 10.0.10586.107, not on insider or anything
- It's the dual sim variant

Last edited:

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Some of issues you have most likely originated from buggy Apps that cannot fix themselves.

No worry go for factory reset and get rid of all issues.
SD card:
No matter If you have Apps on SD card or documents/music/etc. forget about them leave it inside phone to be formatted. And do NOT restore your Apps & data from previous phone backup....start everything fresh.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar problem and the only thing that helped was to power down and take the battery out and reinstall. It seemed to help me but no guarantee it will help you.

jacknewp

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
My 950 did the same thing a time or two before the .107 update, but not since. I would just power down, restart the phone & the apps and updates would install & update.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. Things seemed to get weirder too before they got better.

- Some new apps would install, but others wouldn't. Seemed completely random
- Two apps that were waiting to be updated suddenly went through without a problem. Later that day they showed up again in the update list and couldn't be updated

I was about to just reset the thing back to factory and try from scratch but figured it wouldn't hurt to try an insider build. Re-enrolled back into the insider program, downloaded the new 10586.122 build on the slow ring. At first still got the same 0x80070490 error but after restarting one more time... all my apps suddenly went through just fine. New apps now seem to all install okay.

Very bizarre indeed, but hopefully if anyone else has this problem, they could give a preview build a try. Windows 10 Mobile still seems a little half-baked to me...

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
...Very bizarre indeed, but hopefully if anyone else has this problem, they could give a preview build a try. Windows 10 Mobile still seems a little half-baked to me...

Hey, are you confident that your WiFi speed is steady during good & bad times of App installing? Sometimes IPS interruption appear to be WP problem while they are not. While installing Apps and they freeze or slow down, have an Outage site like Status overview | Canadian Outages to check your Internet WiFi speed. Alternatively, you can try disabling WiFi completely and download via your WP roaming (watch for $$$):cry:

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, are you confident that your WiFi speed is steady during good & bad times of App installing? Sometimes IPS interruption appear to be WP problem while they are not. While installing Apps and they freeze or slow down, have an Outage site like Status overview | Canadian Outages to check your Internet WiFi speed. Alternatively, you can try disabling WiFi completely and download via your WP roaming (watch for $$$):cry:

Nah. I thought that might be the case for a while, so I made sure to try updates right next to my router. Even tried rebooting the router to make sure things were kosher there. Various speed and pings tests from pc, router and phone all confirmed that everything was good. Also tried on cellular data only and the ones that were small enough to be downloaded over the cell network still failed with the same error.

I actually was able to uninstall that "Getting Started" app altogether before trying any of the updates again. That was the one that's been lingering around, un-updateable for nearly 2 months, so I kind of have a sneaking suspicion (although no real data to back it up) that something related to that may have been gumming everything else up.

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Ive had huge issues with my phone. Did the update, then apps appeared to be updated. Performed the update, only for them to show up as needing to be updated again. I decided to do a total reset. Performed a backup, the reset, yet when I went to sync the data, all backup was gone, including apps and data. I ended up doing a complete reinstall, starting blank. I downloaded all my apps and performed updated. Randomly, about ten are appearing in my app store. None of them are showing pending, downloading, etc. The "Pause All" button is totally grayed out. I cannot clear the queue. In my list of apps, some of these appear to be duplicates, with one showing up in the list of apps as installed, the same app as a duplicate is "Pending", yet nothing shows up as happening in the download center. And this is after a complete reset!! I already lost my data, and tried this entire process since yesterday 3 times.

I am really starting to hate Windows. I keep going back to it because I like the ecosystem and UI, but it seems anytime anything new comes out everything else breaks.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
  • Do have a SD card in your 950XL? If yes then make sure you format it by 950XL clean after that go for a phone reset so that all badly installed apps be removed and cell RAM properly organized by 950XL.
  • Before installing any app check for WP updates install them (usually WP does is automatically after a reset)
  • Then NEVER use your previously BACKED UP files. They can be damaged and again install in that damaged form causing 950XL malfunction.
  • Do not reload many files onto phone unless after you make sure all apps function normally.
  • you may need to reset again if source of problem is for example a faulty SD card, faulty SIM card,...etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3