3 Months with the 950XL (please respond with your experiences)

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I still spend the most time couch surfing on my 7" Android tablet.

I picked up a BlackBerry Passport SE recently, and Love it. First BB. Moved my SIM card out of the 950XL a few days ago, I find it to be the most frustrating. Apps suddenly close, Edge on Continuum is unusable.
(First day buy, Not on insider, very long time Windows "Mobile" user, this is my 5th WP)

Yesterday, after several hours of using the tablet and BB, the 950XL got a turn. It only lasted an hour in my hand. I was trying to read the new camera showdown, S7 vs I6+ vs N6P vs L/M950, but the page kept freezing and reloading until I finally got a message, "We have tried to load this page several times"...I closed the page and opened it on the tablet to finish reading the article.
In that 1 hour of using the 950XL, in airplane mode with only WiFi on, it used 36% battery, with Edge Browser at the top of the usage list. This is the first time I have EVER seen such battery use.
I think I will take this time out to do another Factory Reset.

My 1520 almost never left my hands vs the Nexus 5 and tablet I had at that time. Hoping to get that sense of satisfaction back soon.
I went tthrough the hell of multiple WDRT's and hard resets and all the way back to .168. Battery still stinks on this $650 flagship. Man MS is really crapping on its customers...

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Talk for yourself.
I used to be the one in the forums that never had as many problems as the rest of the forum with their new device. I still don't have as many problems.
But my experience with the 950XL has not been smooth or consistent.
Last night I spent several hours surfing on the 950XL, I did one restart in the middle of my session to head off having a problem. For the most part it was smooth surfing, and used considerably less battery than my failed attempt to surf the night before.
As I look at the new devices being released, my Lust has not been ignited. On paper, the 950XL is still the device I want.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, my reply was in a hurry, clarity was the victim - I was specifically referring to 'Man MS is really crapping on its customers...' - as I am not crapped an but still a customer, I wanted to be excluded here. Like 'Man MS is really crapping on its customers... except Corwin' ;) ;) ;)

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Having to save videos and photos to the device as video stutters for a second on playback(different sd card may solve this)a camera that won't load sometimes when the device is locked and I have to unlock first ,other than that excellent battery life,no reboots and a very nice OS,wasn't going to get the phone having read this forum for the last few months but very pleased I did,some very unlucky people on here I guess

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Having to save videos and photos to the device as video stutters for a second on playback(different sd card may solve this)a camera that won't load sometimes when the device is locked and I have to unlock first ,other than that excellent battery life,no reboots and a very nice OS,wasn't going to get the phone having read this forum for the last few months but very pleased I did,some very unlucky people on here I guess
The forums tend to be a mix of satisfied and unsatisfied users.
Usually leans heavy on "problems" because more users come looking for help.
This is the first time I represent both.

Vladimir Ka

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
The forums tend to be a mix of satisfied and unsatisfied users.
Usually leans heavy on "problems" because more users come looking for help.
This is the first time I represent both.

Very true.. I dont have too many issues, but there is no big drive to post "My phone is awesome!" threads..

The few issues with my 950XL are mostly annoyances:
- Email doesnt show 3rd level of subfolders at all.. (big issue for me because my work email is very organized)
- Shuffle button in Grove has to be pressed twice
- Sometimes Grove crashes (likely my mp3s are corrupt.. and I'm too lazy to find out which ones)
- Random reboot once a month or so..
- Unlike my own car, when I use a rental car, volume is not restored to previous setting when connected via Bluetooth..
- Phone overheats but only when I use Skype for 30+ minutes, nothing else makes it overheat..
EDIT: and the touch screen is not as sensitive as Nokia Lumias :(

Last edited:

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I've only had the 950xl for a few weeks, but I couldn't be happier. Maybe its because I have always use devices which are not the most common. I have used Linux since the early 90s, symbian and blackberry phones for the last little while etc.

Yes, it takes a little while to get things working the way you want, and a lot of apps aren't there, but rather than complain, I just learn to use the device.

Saying that,I don't seem to have any of the problems others report. My 950xl is running sweetly on stock firmware. I am a firmware developer, so again maybe I do things differently, but my phone has been rock solid. As a rule I close apps I don't need anymore. Maybe this is the key to my stability?

Love the Swype for keyboard btw. Camera is awesome and unlike almost everyone else I actually like edge. Oh well, each to their own.

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by mlekas
Wow! I feel bad for you having all that trouble. I must say the product support for Microsoft products is hit and miss, though when I deal with the store directly they always take care of me. I bought an Assure plan when I got the phone so if anything goes wrong I just get a new phone. That said I've had no hardware issues with my 950xl that warrant an exchange.

My case slightly squeaked when I first got it (mid-December). I stuck some pieces of sticky note on the inside corners of the case and it hasn't been an issue since. Phone occasionally gets warm & I find it's either the camera or photos app that wasn't shut down. I know it gets warm but on the other hand I'm glad to have a fast CPU.
How did you place the stickies notes? Where? Can you send me a picture?

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Went to family dinner. Niece's iPhone did so much more and easily. Regardless of megapixel. Wish MS would appreciate the 1.1% so we can help build the customer base etc

drddas58

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been using 950xl for last three months with very few problems. Mine one is an unlocked device, running build 14291.1001 and firmware ver. 16025.39011. I have never done a hard hard reset , at this point I couldn't resolve two issues 1. Unable to change the keyboard size, it stuck to medium size and 2. Unable to change lock screen image to bing images, it shows bing but image changes only to win 10 original lock screen image. Is there any work around to fix these issues.

wyabcp

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
i'm on 1001 and 39013 have the same bug with the bing lock screen image, only started happening the latest update.
also have problem opening xbox app, guess just need to wait for the bugs to be addressed

Scott Pokriefka

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
So I'm not going to hit the 3 month mark, I'm going to get out while can still receive a refund. For all the folks that are not having issues, I bid you good luck. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I tried to switch the offline maps to the SD card and it broke offline. I could no longer do anything with maps. Cortana crashing, poor battery life, 5GHz wifi dropping as I'm watching something download, maps, ...

I'm out. Back to my 1520.

lanman80

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been using my 950 XL since the first week of December. Did not enroll this phone in the insider program (My old 1520 is). I really like the understated look of the 950 XL (with the glass going all the way to the edge), and how light it is, but was disappointed in the back cover squeaking. It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it though. Unless I squeeze the case looking for it, I don't notice it. The camera is definitely a step up from the 1520. I hope the volume buttons was a one time experiment, although in a year I might be used to them.

The only other issue I had with it was random reboots every 3-4 weeks. I have not noticed any reboots since the firmware upgrade to 038, but that's only been a month. I have not had my 950 XL get as hot as my 1520 did playing games yet, either. I stopped playing games on my 920 because it got so hot, I thought it was going to burn up.

I really like continuum, I use it for remote desktop mostly. I think everything will get polished up (and fixed) in time, but I can certainly understand how some people feel that they are paying for a beta product. I figured this going in, so it's not a big deal to me, but you can't do that to the masses and expect it to be a hit.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I really like the understated look of the 950 XL (with the glass going all the way to the edge), and how light it is, but was disappointed in the back cover squeaking.
Just the other day I finally gave in and applied the recommended post-its to get rid of the creaking. Truly embarrassing that we have resort to this kind of thing. Then again, it's worth it for me given the many great things this phone offers.

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I wanted to love it but unfortunately, it's time to say goodbye.

The only thing that I really liked about it was the camera. But even the experience was frustrating. Takes awesome photos when the circumstances are just right but more often than not, the camera is slow in all aspects.

I thought the lack of apps wouldn't bother me too much but it's way worse than I thought.

Overall the phone, while it has potential, was too buggy, items took forever to load.

One of the biggest downsides for me was the lack of a true navigation app. Maybe we'll reunite one day in the future, but I doubt it if things doesn't dramatically improve. This is my user experience.

dodi779

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
dude, im sorry to say but looks like this phone is not for you.

i love it personally!!! awesome!!!

i wont miss you :D (sorry)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)