Unfortunate but time to take it back

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else at their wits end? I spoke at length with a Microsoft Store manager and have reached an accord, they'll refund my purchase of the 950xl. I really looked forward to this device and W10M but was sorely disappointed. The lack of apps, and further the lack of apps that function through continuum, is distressing. Between crash and reboots, new builds being compromises rather than addressing issues and providing stability, and that the back gets hot enough to cook an egg on, it's time for it to go. It's a shame as the hardware itself is nice, the camera is capable and the snap dragon quick, Micro SD expansion was a huge plus, and continuum sold me. The software has killed it.
Is there anyone that has had expectations met in regard to the device?

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
The lack of apps doesn't bother me too much. I came from Android using a HTC M8. It isn't all glory in the Android world either. I'm on a 950XL running .1004 and the latest firmware. The 2 problems I've had is the phone not speaking out my messages to Bluetooth and no printer support for my Epson. I haven't had the chance to test my dock yet. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with very few problems.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
The lack of apps doesn't bother me too much. I came from Android using a HTC M8. It isn't all glory in the Android world either. I'm on a 950XL running .1004 and the latest firmware. The 2 problems I've had is the phone not speaking out my messages to Bluetooth and no printer support for my Epson. I haven't had the chance to test my dock yet. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with very few problems.

nope, same as me. although i didnt know i could print from my phone. ill look into that

dock works fine for me. i use it daily

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, the lack of APPS and Games on Windows Mobile 10 doesn't bother me one bit. I like that I can pretty much use it as a mini-pc to do work. Hundreds and thousands of APPS on Android is overrated. My first venture with Android ended up being spammed by ads from the APPS I downloaded. Suddenly I'm infected and spammed to death with ads randomly in the middle of a phone call, in the middle of surfing the web, in the middle of playing a game, in the middle of just adjusting the settings, so I pretty much got hijacked. For me, I prefer at least one solid program that does what I need it to do and does it well. I don't need access to 2 million APPS on Android that pretty much do the same thing that come with an unrefined GUI.

For me, I'm happy with my Windows phone.

VoynaZ

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I ended up returning mine to the Microsoft store a couple months ago. I loved the design of the phone. The camera was great and when everything was working it was awesome. Unfortunately it started constantly rebooting on me during basic tasks and getting really hot. The lack of apps wasn't an issue but it seemed software wise Windows 10 changed so many things I enjoyed about Windows Phone 8 on my old Lumia's. I ended up ordering an unlocked Xperia Z5 and couldn't be happier (stable, water proof, solid build quality and no random reboots) Total bummer though since I have owned a Lumia 800, 900, 920 and 1020 and never had anything negative to say about them. I really hope with future updates Microsoft improves the Windows 10 mobile experience since the Lumia 950 XL is a great phone design wise.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I guess that I should amend my original comment; it really isn't the 'lack' of apps so much as it's 'lack of app support'. For myself I work through this device and it simply must perform. Period. A good example is when I use Office through Continuum, I'll be pages into a report and the app will crash to the Start screen...OR...the phone reboots...either one resulting in lost work. To further compound the issue, many apps aren't fully w10m compliant , or they shut down/crash in the background when the Phone locks when they've been manually set to not do exactly that. I assure you that while this sounds nit-picky, it's not. I made this purchase going off of the need for a smaller device that is capable of running a business and had read that this was it, but from a business perspective this is FAR from that device. I've since resorted to toting around a lap tap again.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I had 0 problems with my 950xl on .122 and latest firmware. It's not till I went to redstone that it has become completely unreliable. I play candy crush jelly and the back gets pretty warm which it never did before. Battery is horrible. Apps constantly crash. Continuum works great but when I disconnect it, it puts the phone in a weird state where I have to reboot. Although sometimes when it goes into continuum mode I get this annoying grey bar above the navbar that just takes up space and can't get rid of it. I have to reboot phone and reconnnect to get it to disappear.

If there isn't a new redstone build by tomorrow that makes things more stable, I'm likely going to roll back to stable branch. My lumia 830 is working great on .166.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to also say that I am NOT bashing the device. As you've touched upon, poopyfinger, it seems that it's 'mostly' the OS that's crap (couldn't resist!). The hardware is great, lightweight, expandable storage (MicroSD collection now has purpose!), one can replace the battery OR opt for having a spare, and the camera is quite capable. I also realize the challenge Microsoft took on trying to get Windows 10 to be THE Operating System, and by that I mean across PC, Mobile, and console. That is no easy feat, but it also doesn't excuse the issue at hand. The other software woes such as an absence of more mainstream and proven software on the mobile is hurting. I fully expected to see AutoCAD or BIM on board, and to be able to utilize them fully such as is capable on (gasp!!) iOS, or at the least, through Continuum. To create further frustrations, Bar Tender doesn't function through Continuum either and it appears that it never will. It is my own fault for jumping in blindly to be sure, but to expect what I see on a Windows PC to have some sort of presence on a Windows device boasting PC capable software execution...it left a bad taste to see that it was neither there and most likely will never be.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else at their wits end?
Is there anyone that has had expectations met in regard to the device?

My advice, sell your XL and buy the Galaxy S7 Edge.. I received my Edge Wed and I can tell you it will blow you away..
The OS is super fast and the complete opposite of WP 10's release on the 950XL, everything works with no bugs, glitches or issues and is flat out smooth and fast. It's so nice to get any App you desire and as for the Edge's look, feel, quality of build and overall design it's just flat out gorgeous, might be the best looking phone ever built. Fastest camera I have ever used in a phone also, from the lockscreen you can load, focus and shoot in less then 2 seconds, it will even Fast Charge wirelessly.. As far as being a "True" Flagship phone it makes the 950/950XL look and feel like a low to mid end level phone. I'm putting both of my Windows Phones on ebay this weekend and never looking back, the 950XL was MS's last shot to keep me but they disappointed in their delivery of the 950XL which "they" called a "Flagship" phone, its more like a dingy compared to the Edge.

Last edited:

Scott Pokriefka

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm tapping out... I'm going back to the Microsoft store tomorrow with receipt and phone in hand. I've had the 950XL for 15 days, and I've already lost count on how many times I've rebuilt the phone. At this point I don't think it's the OS, my 1520 appears to run just fine. My nearly 2 year old 1520 5Ghz wifi stays connected, doesn't reboot on a whim, and has basically the same battery life of the new 950XL.

Not done with Windows Phone, just the 950XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon