Seasoned 950XL users - your Windows Hello

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you use it?

How often do you use it?

Still believe it is a thing or just a gimmick?

I ask because I just realised this morning when I had to enter my password in probably weeks for the first time and I found it SO annoying. That's when it hit me, that I can't see myself touching my phone to unlock it, in future. Do you feel similar? Or opposite?

willyb1973

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
For me it's just a few tenths of a second too slow..

I keep entering my pin about 50% of the time, becuse I feel it's a little bit faster..

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
its been working about 90% of the time for me and is just about as fast as entering my pin. if I'm in a hurry I still use the pin, probably mostly from habit. I think the reason it has gotten faster and fairly reliable for me is that I'm learning how to hold the phone so it will work

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Because I wear glasses the iris doesn't sometimes pickup very well. I often have to lift up my glasses for the iris to detect my eyes properly. So I'm at a split 50/50. I can't wear contacts at work because of what I do.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Because I wear glasses the iris doesn't sometimes pickup very well. I often have to lift up my glasses for the iris to detect my eyes properly. So I'm at a split 50/50. I can't wear contacts at work because of what I do.

I find when I'm wearing my sunglasses it's even faster!

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was dumb and quit using it. Sometimes it was quick, sometimes slow, but i don't want slow anything. Except my slow cooker:winktongue:

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you use it? Yes

How often do you use it? 50%

Still believe it is a thing or just a gimmick? kinda. In most cases still a lot faster to type pin in. LOL, also in public staring at it and not quite getting right angle to activate, causes some stares...lol

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if that's because your pupil should be wider when you're wearing sunglasses so it's easier to see your retina. I noticed today it wasn't working as well for me in bright sunlight today

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
On average it works about 80% of the time for me. If I'm not moving its more like 9 times out of 10 it works fast. If I'm moving then it's more like 2 times out of 10. A shame it wasn't just another 12 inches added distance as that would have been perfect. It's just a little short on range as it is.

onetwright

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Turned mine off. Required too precise of positioning. Might give it another go to see if I can get better recognition accuracy for quicker use. I WANT to like it, but I think the finger print reader is more suited to a phone.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
While it is a great feature, I do not use it myself. No PIN either.

I drive and use the GPS navigation a loooot. I have a car mount for the 950XL DUAL SIM. Some things I use the phone for require that I unlock the phone first. I can't just have Windows Hello unlock it while I'm driving nor enter my PIN. Both requires that I take my eyes off the road. I just ask Cortana. "Play Music". "Navigate to XXXX First St, City, State", "Call Wife", "Go Home", "Go Work", "Find Car"

If you have PIN or Windows Hello, she'll ask you to unlock your phone first. What's the point of convenience if you have to first unlock your phone to have Cortana do something? If I lose my phone, I'll lock it remotely and send message to the finder to return the phone. Just my 2Cents

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
While it is a great feature, I do not use it myself. No PIN either.

<snip> If I lose my phone, I'll lock it remotely and send message to the finder to return the phone. Just my 2Cents

Just hope the person who finds your phone doesn't use your email on your unlocked phone to reset some passwords on accounts or apps before you have a chance to get to a computer to lock your phone. why not just switch the "require sign in" to "never" when you're driving so you can use Hey Cortana then switch it back to something more secure when you're not driving?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Just hope the person who finds your phone doesn't use your email on your unlocked phone to reset some passwords on accounts or apps before you have a chance to get to a computer to lock your phone. why not just switch the "require sign in" to "never" when you're driving so you can use Hey Cortana then switch it back to something more secure when you're not driving?

I'd be too lazy to turn it back on. :p
I've never lost a phone in my life. Not about to lose it now.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Of course it is up to you, but following the same argument, most people would never have to lock their cars or front door or have insurances for the car. After all, they have not had a car stolen, their house burglared or an accident with their car.

I, personally, have my whole life in that thing and try to make sure as good as I can that it stays secure :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa