03-19-2016 12:21 PM
32 12
tools
    Do you use it?

How often do you use it?

Still believe it is a thing or just a gimmick?

I ask because I just realised this morning when I had to enter my password in probably weeks for the first time and I found it SO annoying. That's when it hit me, that I can't see myself touching my phone to unlock it, in future. Do you feel similar? Or opposite?
    TechFreak1 and Andreas Lagos like this.
    03-10-2016 05:22 AM
    For me it's just a few tenths of a second too slow..

I keep entering my pin about 50% of the time, becuse I feel it's a little bit faster..
    Corwin_Amber1 and jhoff80 like this.
    03-10-2016 05:27 AM
    Same for me, I am using it like 50%. It HAS become sick fast lately, only it needs too careful positioning of the phone.
    03-10-2016 05:50 AM
    its been working about 90% of the time for me and is just about as fast as entering my pin. if I'm in a hurry I still use the pin, probably mostly from habit. I think the reason it has gotten faster and fairly reliable for me is that I'm learning how to hold the phone so it will work
    03-10-2016 07:25 AM
    I use both iris and pin.... it's like a game, who's faster, or if I type the pin wrong, iris got me right after
    Asfalloth and Azensun like this.
    03-10-2016 10:36 AM
    What he said :)

I use both iris and pin.... it's like a game, who's faster, or if I type the pin wrong, iris got me right after
    03-10-2016 10:58 AM
    Because I wear glasses the iris doesn't sometimes pickup very well. I often have to lift up my glasses for the iris to detect my eyes properly. So I'm at a split 50/50. I can't wear contacts at work because of what I do.
    03-10-2016 12:23 PM
    It reads fine through my prescription sunglasses, I'm 950 though but still same thing.
    03-10-2016 12:56 PM
    It works most of the time but it is nost as fast as the finger print scanner, needs a lot of improvement
    Last edited by Roberto Velazquez R; 03-10-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    03-10-2016 01:06 PM
    Because I wear glasses the iris doesn't sometimes pickup very well. I often have to lift up my glasses for the iris to detect my eyes properly. So I'm at a split 50/50. I can't wear contacts at work because of what I do.
    I find when I'm wearing my sunglasses it's even faster!
    03-10-2016 01:09 PM
    I thought it was dumb and quit using it. Sometimes it was quick, sometimes slow, but i don't want slow anything. Except my slow cooker
    03-10-2016 01:39 PM
    Do you use it? Yes

How often do you use it? 50%

Still believe it is a thing or just a gimmick? kinda. In most cases still a lot faster to type pin in. LOL, also in public staring at it and not quite getting right angle to activate, causes some stares...lol
    03-10-2016 01:46 PM
    I wonder if that's because your pupil should be wider when you're wearing sunglasses so it's easier to see your retina. I noticed today it wasn't working as well for me in bright sunlight today
    03-10-2016 01:55 PM
    On average it works about 80% of the time for me. If I'm not moving its more like 9 times out of 10 it works fast. If I'm moving then it's more like 2 times out of 10. A shame it wasn't just another 12 inches added distance as that would have been perfect. It's just a little short on range as it is.
    03-10-2016 02:18 PM
    It is wonderful if you know how to use and set-up it, but at the moment I do not use it, only because of battery usage.
    03-11-2016 09:34 AM
    Turned mine off. Required too precise of positioning. Might give it another go to see if I can get better recognition accuracy for quicker use. I WANT to like it, but I think the finger print reader is more suited to a phone.
    03-11-2016 11:50 AM
    While it is a great feature, I do not use it myself. No PIN either.

I drive and use the GPS navigation a loooot. I have a car mount for the 950XL DUAL SIM. Some things I use the phone for require that I unlock the phone first. I can't just have Windows Hello unlock it while I'm driving nor enter my PIN. Both requires that I take my eyes off the road. I just ask Cortana. "Play Music". "Navigate to XXXX First St, City, State", "Call Wife", "Go Home", "Go Work", "Find Car"

If you have PIN or Windows Hello, she'll ask you to unlock your phone first. What's the point of convenience if you have to first unlock your phone to have Cortana do something? If I lose my phone, I'll lock it remotely and send message to the finder to return the phone. Just my 2Cents
    03-11-2016 10:55 PM
    While it is a great feature, I do not use it myself. No PIN either.

<snip> If I lose my phone, I'll lock it remotely and send message to the finder to return the phone. Just my 2Cents
    Just hope the person who finds your phone doesn't use your email on your unlocked phone to reset some passwords on accounts or apps before you have a chance to get to a computer to lock your phone. why not just switch the "require sign in" to "never" when you're driving so you can use Hey Cortana then switch it back to something more secure when you're not driving?
    03-11-2016 11:33 PM
    Just hope the person who finds your phone doesn't use your email on your unlocked phone to reset some passwords on accounts or apps before you have a chance to get to a computer to lock your phone. why not just switch the "require sign in" to "never" when you're driving so you can use Hey Cortana then switch it back to something more secure when you're not driving?
    I'd be too lazy to turn it back on. :P
    I've never lost a phone in my life. Not about to lose it now.
    Mr Hyde likes this.
    03-11-2016 11:55 PM
    Of course it is up to you, but following the same argument, most people would never have to lock their cars or front door or have insurances for the car. After all, they have not had a car stolen, their house burglared or an accident with their car.

I, personally, have my whole life in that thing and try to make sure as good as I can that it stays secure :)
    03-14-2016 08:23 AM
    I love the idea but the scanner is a bit slow and mostly I get impatient and enter the pin
    03-14-2016 10:29 AM
    I love the idea but the scanner is a bit slow and mostly I get impatient and enter the pin
    Set it up properly and it is way faster then entering pin.
    03-14-2016 12:12 PM
    It is way to slow and it requires positioning of the phone in front of the face. So it is practically useless if the phone is on the office desk or on the car mount. For me, this is unfortunately an useless gimmick, as if they were forced to invent something new, instead of using a reliable and fast fingerprint reader found on competition devices.
    jhoff80 likes this.
    03-14-2016 01:27 PM
    I had quite many problems (mostly with it's integration rather than recognition) with it previously, but after one of the updates they're all gone - it now works quite reliably and fast. There're still two issues left - notifications stop it and it turns off flashlight, but I can live with that.
    03-14-2016 01:59 PM
    I do use it...I think it's somewhere around 75% effective. I really do enjoy not typing in my PIN but depending on where the phone is, the alignment is an issue.

If I am pulling the phone out of my pocket then yeah its awesome, I do have to bring the phone higher up or just crank my neck down further. In the car or while the phone is on any kind of stand where I won't move it...i just swipe up and enter the pin
    03-14-2016 02:27 PM
32 12