Anyone else NOT get .164 on 950 XL on pre production or Slow ring?

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I still have not seen the .164 update on my 950XL. I was on Pre Production ring and have tried Slow Ring and have tried turning off preview builds, still nothing. I was never on the fast ring so my current build is .122. Tried a restart, nothing. Tried resetting the phone using the option in the OS. First time restored my backup file, nothing. Second time did not restore a backup, nothing.

The only thing I can think of that I have not tried is to use the recovery tool and just start over. Before I go to that trouble, anyone have any other suggestions I should try first?

I posted this issue on the MS tech support forum and the MS support engineer was useless. They suggested I revert back to 8.1 and enter the fast ring to get the latest build... Hahahaha

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
well, after 7 hours no replies to this thread so I decided to try the Windows Device Recovery Tool. What a pain in the @$$. I downloaded the WDRT on my Surface Book, followed the directions and everything seemed like it was working until I got just past about 25% progress then I got the "Operation Failed" screen. Followed the directions to try again if the Operations fails... still no help. After three more tries I give up and contact MS support. Long story short... they recommend trying the WDRT on a different computer. So I break out the Surface Pro 3 and try again. This time it works and my phone actually boots up. I check the version and I'm back to build .29 but it says there is an update available so its downloading it now. Why did it bump me back to .29? I thought .107 was the last production build? Once all the apps update I'll install whatever build is currently downloading and report back.

Oh, One more thing. I removed my SD card when I was trying the WDRT on the second computer so I don't know if it was using a different computer or removing the SD card or both that made the WDRT actually work.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It took nearly an hour for all the apps and system updates to finish. I did a check for updates and my 950XL is in the process of downloading build .164. I got this as a standard update without having to download and install the Insiders app.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Perseverance paid off for you. I went through the whole Windows recovery drama. Initially it wouldn't work for me so I swapped computers and it worked straight away. All I can put it down to is the USB ports on my gaming rig not being compatible. I'm now on .164 with the latest firmware and the phone is running very well. No show stoppers or resets so far. I hope your phone is working well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire