Outlook Calendar and Mail Don't Work on My 950XL, how can I get them working?

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Outlook Calendar and Mail Don't Work on My 950XL

So I wake up early this pretty morning, sip some coffee, and tap Outlook Calendar on my can't-wait-to-use-it, brand-new 950 XL to begin my day and see what I have to look forward to. A little smile is barely visible on my face: life is really pretty good.

Silly me. I should have known. I run up to the football to kick it and Lucy (Microsoft) pulls it away. Again.

Outlook Calendar doesn't work. Neither does Outlook Mail. They worked fine yesterday, I used each a dozen times. Talk about out of the blue. In case you're listening, Microsoft, here's a little newsflash: email and calendar are rather basic functionalities.

Now, they each think for about 2 seconds and then they just close, returning you to the start screen. That's it. Same behavior from "Live" (Dead) Tiles and from the app list. I restarted the phone and of course, same thing.

The tiles report some of what's going on for the day, but the apps themselves will not run.

Before I re-install and lose everything (who knows, will it happen again?), does anyone have a suggestion (one that actually has a chance of working) or have you at least seen this behavior before?

Really, this takes the cake for totally ridiculous. I must really not want to admit I'm wrong about the platform, because time and again Microsoft has tried the most compelling and inventive ways to get people like me to leave Windows Phone, whether it be through a lack of apps, inexplicably and stupidly designed apps, or just plain and complete WP mismanagement in general.

But I stay with it. I've spent a ton of dough on MS products, including four Windows Phones, and have only myself to blame. Once again, you've succeeded, MS - you have another customer whose time has been completely wasted.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Outlook Calendar and Mail Don't Work on My 950XL

It's just a bug, Microsoft didn't do this on purpose.

To fix the issue, you'll need to re-install the apps. Easiest way to do that is change your display scaling temporarily.

Settings->System->Display and change the display scale slider to something else.

Let the phone reboot and go into the store to collect updates (you'll have a bunch of apps to be re-installed).

Outlook will work after this. You may need to repeat the process to get back to the display scale percentage you're used to (personally, I'd move to 300% as it gives a better layout than the stock setting).

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try your solution, when I get back this evening from work.

In the meantime, I saw on the feedback app a whole lot of other people asking the same question. I still support MS (obviously) but they really shouldn't have released an update with such a basic bug. I don't understand that. It screwed up a lot of people and personally, I don't think they have that margin for error.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

These things happen as part of the preview program. I have no idea at this point what branches of Windows 10 Mobile this affects. I dare say there will be an update as soon as MS fixes it.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

Also, right now there is an update for Mail and Calendar - fixed it for me (after it became evident).

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I changed the display, as recommended, and updated everything and indeed, all appears back to normal. Thanks, all.

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Calendar has never worked for me... If I add a meeting on the phone after just a few min it will disappear. It'll still show up on my win10 laptop or if I login to Hotmail but never on my phone... Any know fixes?

Andrew Rossiter

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
check the account settings on the mailbox and make sure the SSL is checked for security/authentication of the account.

That should take care of it, worked for me.

Jaison John1

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

I had the same problem.. I'm using MS L950XL. My calendar was not showing birthdays, events etc. And my hotmail was not syncing. I tried a lot and searched for a solution. I got so many, but none of them solved my problem. Then I formatted my mobile and set up again email, calendar and other apps. This time I changed Country/Region as United kingdom. (I'm from India). And it's all working fine now. 🙂😏

m_andreia

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I've had similar troubles. I've got a Lumia 640 DS whose OS is Windows Phone 8.1.
Calendar, mail, phone, messages, contacts and even the store don't work since last week. It has happened before but I could sort it with some soft resets.

Does anyone have an idea to get my Lumia back once again, avoiding to do an hard reset?
Thanks in advance for your attention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon