• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
03-26-2016 08:08 PM
55 123
tools
    When you signed up for Windows Insider within Windows Update, it told you what to expect:

• Fast: Best for Insiders who enjoy being the first to identify issues, provide suggestions, and ideas to make Windows devices great.
    • Slow: Best for Insiders who enjoy seeing preview builds with minimal risk to their devices, and still want to provide feedback.
    • Release Preview: Best for Insiders who enjoy seeing early access to updates for the Current Branch, Microsoft applications, and drivers with minimal risk to their devices, and still want to provide feedback to make Windows devices great.

If you don't like the issues you are facing, choose a different Insider level or stop Insider Preview builds altogether and go back to regular Windows Updates. The choice is yours. And if you want quick restores, be sure to perform a full Backup via WiFi (not cell data) before hard resetting your device or using the Windows Device Recovery Tool. The backup will restore all your apps and Start screen, depending on the settings you choose.

Seriously though, to expect flawless Fast track updates is pretty insane. And like the others have pointed out, please read the release notes in the Insider Hub or Windows Insider Blog before updating. They plainly and clearly tell you what is new and what is not working.
    Corwin_Amber1 likes this.
    03-15-2016 10:46 AM
    Are the slow ring and fast ring both on Redstone? If they are not, then MSFT screwed up big time.
    03-15-2016 12:21 PM
    Oh yes I did and I thought I was going crazy. I tried everything and the techs said it wasn't a band issue after I had successfully paired to an iPhone. I eventually went for factory reset which did the trick. I guess you roll the dice when your in the fast ring but wow I wish I had read the blogs first, lol.
    03-15-2016 10:39 PM
    Are the slow ring and fast ring both on Redstone? If they are not, then MSFT screwed up big time.
    peashooter, Fast is RS, Slow and Preprod are pretty sweet TH builds.
    03-16-2016 04:27 AM
    I was having the same issue with my L950, and was just going to wait until an update fixed it. After reading posts here, I changed my phone's language to United Kingdom English. It worked perfectly, and my Band 2 is back in sync.
    zei20t likes this.
    03-16-2016 10:11 AM
    pischk: your comments are incorrect and your statements about the various rings are flat out wrong. Did you read what they actually say in the insider application? Knowing that Fast Ring is Redstone(essentially Windows 10.1) and Slow and release are Threshold (essentially Windows 10), MSFT screwed the pooch.

Fast Ring: You'll get PRE-RELEASE builds of Windows 10 (Not 10.1, NOT Redstone) ahead of everyone else. This means you'll see new things sooner, but there may be fewer solutions available for issues.

Slow Ring: You'll get PRE-RELEASE (exact same wording as fast ring) builds of Windows 10 (not 10.1, Not Threshold no mention of branch), but you'll get them a LITTLE AFTER INSIDERS WHO SELECT TO RECEIVE FAST UPDATES.

This is the fundamental problem with the ***** developers at MSFT.. They forked the Fast Ring to Redstone and didn't update the windows insider text. How hard would have been to say Fast ring: Microsoft Windows 10 next MAJOR release (Redstone). This ring contains all the newest features in Windows 10 and is intended for users who want to Alpha test the latest and greatest... Slow Ring: Microsoft Windows 10 Current Release (Threshold), stay on this ring to get critical updates and performance fixes for the Windows 10 production

So now I have to WDRT AGAIN and take 5 hours rebuilding my phone. FYI a fresh windows 10 install on PC takes 30 minutes, but I DIGRESS!!!!!
    03-16-2016 01:16 PM
    I had to hard reset my phone within an hour of getting it on the day of release, but since then everything worked perfectly. I'll try the language change (will US English work if its usually UK?) otherwise I guess its down to another full reset followed by taking myself off the fast ring.

And to whoever said RTFM, if proper patch notifications were made readily available (i.e. a link clearly shown to the user to visit when choosing a time to reset for installation) then I would agree. As it currently stands, where we can end up getting over 3 updates within a week and the only way we realise is when we can't sign in with Hello in the morning or our Bands don't work, well, that's unacceptable. I guess it's my own fault for not coming off the fast track like I had intended when I've had a perfectly stable version (for what I use it for) previously.
    03-17-2016 11:36 AM
    As a service for those who may not read release notes, build 14291 also breaks the ability to pair with your phone. See here. Strangely enough, it's an API failure - code that the band sync relies on changed right out from underneath it. It's almost like I suggested something along those lines a few posts back...
    03-17-2016 06:54 PM
    first off I understand completely what pre-release software is, ...
    Not sure you do. Maybe you need to get off beta.
    zei20t, Mr Hyde, oufc_gav and 1 others like this.
    03-17-2016 08:40 PM
    The update is not rubbish, they wanted to see how well their new Bluetooth stack performs for the testers. Why would they add all the features to a new stack, if the core is flawed? What they did now is release the core version and the features that the Band requires to connect are not added. Once they know the core is stable they'll add the features required for the Band to connect. So they did not release it with bugs, they released a new version which simply does not have all the features yet. This is not incompetence, it's quality assurance, that's pretty much the whole point of the insider previews. They're not finished products, which is what you are expecting. They are not only updates but also rewrites which break things. If you had read the release notes, you would have known the Band wouldnt work on this build and you couldve just skipped the builds until it works again.
    jdballard likes this.
    03-18-2016 04:45 AM
    Build 14291 has not fixed this issue. I just loaded it last night but Band 2 still won't connect...
    03-18-2016 12:26 PM
    Elite, does your pre-release branch at work have user notes that say its the same as your production branch? The windows insider app, says the Fast Ring and Slow Ring are the same code line...One just gets it faster. That's the problem!
    A. Our pre-release never reaches the public.
    B. Our testers and developers expect pre-release to have issues.
    C. Release notes??? no time for that.
    D. Our RELEASES always have issues. We have a laundry list of new and existing problems that we sit down with the customer and talk about the severity of the bug. Many get shipped, some get worked off next release, others live on for a long time. Time is money
    03-18-2016 01:52 PM
    The Slow Ring only gets a Fast Ring release after the fast ring people have provided a degree of acceptance testing. When the Slow Ring people get it they should know what they are in for and can avoid it. It will still be pre-release for sure.
    03-19-2016 01:29 PM
    I ended up selecting English (US) on my 950XL and the Band 2 successfully paired. This has been an entertaining "RTFM" thread nonetheless. Personally I think Microsoft are dropping the ball on these Insider Ring updates.
    03-19-2016 01:33 PM
    I changed my language several times to several different languages and I keep getting the error, "Sorry, I can't find your band. Please ensure that it is nearby and paired to your phone". It is both nearby and paired to my phone yet not syncing

Did you do anything but change the language. Am I missing something?
    03-19-2016 01:38 PM
    ^
    The only things I did was to first "unpair" the Band from the WP Bluetooth settings & keep the Band plugged in to AC while pairing which I think is a recommendation I read elsewhere.
    03-19-2016 01:56 PM
    ^
    The only things I did was to first "unpair" the Band from the WP Bluetooth settings & keep the Band plugged in to AC while pairing which I think is a recommendation I read elsewhere.
    Thanks. I tried unpairing, added kept the Band plugged in this time. Still hasn't worked for me.
    03-19-2016 09:07 PM
    The Slow Ring only gets a Fast Ring release after the fast ring people have provided a degree of acceptance testing. When the Slow Ring people get it they should know what they are in for and can avoid it. It will still be pre-release for sure.

That is not TRUE. Fast ring is a totally different version of Windows 10...Redstone or in other terms Windows 10.1 Slow ring is Windows 10 and won't get the Fast Ring code until after Redstone is General Release
    03-20-2016 07:03 PM
    Nope, not true.
    03-21-2016 03:55 AM
    Sorry, guys, what is the problem? Is anybody of you forced to put pre release software on their phone? If not, why not just stay clear of it? In the meantime, we are having a great time here, thank you very much.
    03-21-2016 07:01 AM
    I switched to Norsk (bokmal) and had no problem connecting. My only problem is that since the latest Band 2 Update, it detects 0h sleep each night, even though it knows how long I'm in bed. :-/

Good excuse to get back to learning my Norwegian.
    03-21-2016 08:17 AM
    beman39, I do not understand why you would be in the insider program and test preview and beta software, if you don't care about release notes and can not tolerate errors? Why don't you just stay on the preproduction ring or even out of insider programme? Again, don't mean to be rude but trying to understand. Of course, evolving things can mean breaking them. This is not only in software but in every other machine as well. You improve a motor, it takes less fuel with more power, but maybe other problems arise, like less reliability.

Things have to be learnt. Things ARE complicated, software in some things even more than physical things.
    The wikipedia article about the Dunning-Kruger Effect is always a good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

To me, the windows insider program is a great thing. But, hell yes, sometimes you get burned - it IS prerelease / beta. This fact is also well communicated. So why don't you just stay away from it, which is perfectly OK for everybody, and let us have fun?

I would always prefer a faster release with a known error to a delayed one. So I can actually READ the release notes and then decide for myself. And I would be pretty effing grateful, if you would let me decide myself and not put your point of view on me. Thank you.
    Kind of agree but this insider build is shocking. No band sync, hard reset/back restore issue, battery life is shocking, outlook doesn't update properly, notifications are hit and miss, constant reboots. I like being cutting edge but this one is a massive step back for me...
    03-21-2016 11:28 AM
    I agree that it is a little rough build. This, and a newer Firmware (16082) available with WDRT only made me reflash with WDRT (and the newer Firmware) and go back to TH, temporarily, first time in 9 month to be out of the fast ring.

Band sync could be remedied by changing the language (or changing it prior to update and then changing back). No hard reset and damaging backups by doing so is a bummer. Also the daily Bing image not loading ;) Battery life was OK for mine. At least one app would not run anymore and crash instantly (Life360). I liked the new maps and the smoothness, however.

I am a little surprised, that they pushed the 14291 build, as it was not really expected on that day anyway. OTOH it is, what we wanted. More builds. They gave us more builds. Hopefully the next one will come this week.
    03-21-2016 12:02 PM
    Sorry, guys, what is the problem? Is anybody of you forced to put pre release software on their phone? If not, why not just stay clear of it? In the meantime, we are having a great time here, thank you very much.
    Corwin, your arguments are 100% valid IF and ONLY IF the 950xl didn't ship with such a horrible version of WP10 that forced everyone to the insider program. Stupid me for thinking visual voicemail would work out of the box! So lets not slam those who joined the insider program because they were forced to join it (tough to return a phone after 30 days)

If MSFT took more time to manage the end user experience on the insider program in the application itself, by providing meaningful notes, we wouldn't be here. Yes, I can check the blogs, but really, that's your answer? How about they design an insider application that doesn't blow! I am pretty sure you can bind a text label to a data object with 1-2 lines of code, and update a database with one line of code when doing a release.
    03-21-2016 12:43 PM
    If you think about it, you should expect to get a whole lot of regression errors in any new branch, where new feature development is key. Think about it for a moment, the Band sync is working but assume they want to optimize it for battery usage because it was deemed to be drawing too much power. Once they explore new architecture or ways of implementing the sync, expect that the old way which worked, with its power drain (my hypothetical case) is likely to be broken. This is the kind of thing that I would expect and it is not incompetence, its the real world that is often hidden from the consumer when they get the final builds, even then with bugs. Think about brand new features and the potential to break existing and working code which sometimes needs to be changed to accommodate the new features.
    Last edited by rjhin; 03-22-2016 at 06:03 AM.
    EliteMikes likes this.
    03-21-2016 01:52 PM
55 123