Can't Pair Band 2 w/ 950XL Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Got latest Fast Ring build 14283 the other day. It was a long download/install on my 950XL but seems to be good so far.

Except when it comes to re-pairing the Band 2.

Band 2 lost connection to Health app I think after the update. Tried hard resetting the Band. Ensured Band was removed as a recognized Bluetooth device in WP settings. When pairing the Band says it was successful but Health app says there was an error. I also uninstalled/reinstalled Health a couple of times but no luck.

I think I tried everything but I do not plan to reset WP because it's a freakin' hassle :confused:

Ideas? Anyone else have an issue now with Insider/Band2?

martinfab

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I went to the band 2 forum on this site and found that the last update caused the issue. It appears there are two options to fix it.
1. Wait for the next update to the phone
2. Hard reset phone and band.

Reluctantly I did the reset. It worked. Took me a day to get my phone back to where I had it. All the little things you don't think about. This is the second hard reset I have had to do since November of 2015. First one was in December. I am in the fast ring so I feel lucky. I must admit, this has been one of the hardest last couple days for me not to move off this platfrom. Hard reset sucks! The tech at the Microsoft store told me that he is in a ring above fast that they use for the techs. He claims he hard resets weekly!

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Good to know, martinfab. I won't bother hard resetting phone and just tough it out. Phone is set to track activity anyway and I won't wear Band until resolved.

martinfab

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...indows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14283/

More info in blog link above with some other solutions! Some of it pasted below.

If you have a Microsoft Band 1 or 2 paired to your phone, it will no longer sync after updating to this build due to a system API failure that occurs after the update. If you want to get your Band syncing with your phone again – you can temporarily change the language of your phone as a short term workaround until we release a fix. Additionally, you can also choose to reset your phone to get out of this state – however you may experience this update issue again with the next build until we fix this issue. This issue may also impact Skype video and audio calls.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
the "change language" trick isn't working for me! this has been the worst update so far for me and I refuse to hard reset my phone and spend another hour setting it up again... I will wait till they fix it with another update.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
enough with RTFM! you don't release an update as broken as this is! fast ring or not, updates are supposed to make things better not worse! end thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
so what you're also saying is that MS released an update KNOWING FULL WELL AND AHEAD OF THE RELEASE that this update would break the pairing with the band 2 AND OTHER PROBLEMS and you're all ok with this sh!t? REALLY?!!! wow ok this to me is unacceptable!

It was in the release notes. If you want your w10 service to be stable don't go with the fast ring. I paved my sp3 after getting burned by fast ring.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That is the nature of beta testing updates. There will always be things that are broken, changes always bring bugs, that is why they put it out for testing. Especially on the fast ring where you are much nearer the bleeding edge of the development. There are always things that they will want to get tested asap and have to weigh up the desire for that vs the issues that still exist in the release. They clearly state when you sign up that this is the case for the fast ring, and they release notes that say what is fixed and what is broken in the build so you can make your choice about whether to go with it or not.

There is a reason that manufacturers are going back to closed betas with selected people, too many people who sign up for things without the ability to read who spend their time shouting rather than testing and feeding back.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
So far so good. Added Canadian English to my phone language and Band 2 is back up and running. Easy work around.

already tried that, its a no go for me... only solution is to hard reset and I'm not going to do that! its just easier to wait till MS fixes this

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
That is the nature of beta testing updates. There will always be things that are broken, changes always bring bugs, that is why they put it out for testing. Especially on the fast ring where you are much nearer the bleeding edge of the development. There are always things that they will want to get tested asap and have to weigh up the desire for that vs the issues that still exist in the release. They clearly state when you sign up that this is the case for the fast ring, and they release notes that say what is fixed and what is broken in the build so you can make your choice about whether to go with it or not.

There is a reason that manufacturers are going back to closed betas with selected people, too many people who sign up for things without the ability to read who spend their time shouting rather than testing and feeding back.

I get what you're saying but in ACTUALITY, MS could of held off releasing this 1 week and made sure nothing was broke... they KNEW ahead of release that this would break everybody's band 2 connection... pretty dumb if you ask me LOL

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I get what you're saying but in ACTUALITY, MS could of held off releasing this 1 week and made sure nothing was broke... they KNEW ahead of release that this would break everybody's band 2 connection... pretty dumb if you ask me LOL

But that is unlikely to ever happen - all software has bugs (Google 'iOS Bugs' or 'Android bugs' to see some fairly eye watering ones that made it to full release not just a dev track), branch-based beta development has more. Waiting a week could have meant some bugs fixed, but other new ones appearing.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
beman39, I do not understand why you would be in the insider program and test preview and beta software, if you don't care about release notes and can not tolerate errors? Why don't you just stay on the preproduction ring or even out of insider programme? Again, don't mean to be rude but trying to understand. Of course, evolving things can mean breaking them. This is not only in software but in every other machine as well. You improve a motor, it takes less fuel with more power, but maybe other problems arise, like less reliability.

Things have to be learnt. Things ARE complicated, software in some things even more than physical things.
The wikipedia article about the Dunning-Kruger Effect is always a good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

To me, the windows insider program is a great thing. But, hell yes, sometimes you get burned - it IS prerelease / beta. This fact is also well communicated. So why don't you just stay away from it, which is perfectly OK for everybody, and let us have fun?

I would always prefer a faster release with a known error to a delayed one. So I can actually READ the release notes and then decide for myself. And I would be pretty effing grateful, if you would let me decide myself and not put your point of view on me. Thank you.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
enough with RTFM! you don't release an update as broken as this is! fast ring or not, updates are supposed to make things better not worse! end thread!

Sorry, but this is simply not true when talking about pre-release, preview software which is what Fast ring releases are. They are previews and aren't guaranteed to work correctly and it's on you to read the release notes and accept the fact that things that worked before may break. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the disclaimers are everywhere when using the fast ring. It's still in development, and things that worked before will break. Sometimes after finishing coding functionality you find better, faster, more efficient and more maintainable ways to do things. To implement those changes you have to break what worked before because you can't get it done before the build that gets released, so it ships broken. Sometimes code you depend on that was written by another developer gets changed, breaking your code. There are so many reasons why something that worked in build 12345 breaks in build 13567.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
who cares if it was in the release notes! the point is you're all not getting, is why release a broken update?
it defeats the purpose of UPDATING your phone... you people keep reciting that it was in the release notes like a parrot but not grasping the reality here. this update is fundamentally broken and MS knew that prior to releasing it... HELLOO! do you not get that?

HELLOO! Do you not get that this is pre-release software? Did you not bother to read the release notes that tells you what's broken before installing it? Do you not read the disclaimer that things may not work as expected? Update or not, Microsoft probably has things in the new build that they want to test now but don't want to wait for every little thing to be fixed? It's ludicrous that you would expect pre-release software to function perfectly in every build. Regressions are a normal part of software development and when you're using a preview build, it's going to happen.

do you not think this is not dumb? updates are supposed to give forward momentum and not backwards, our phones are supposed to get BETTER not WORSE even if it is a BETA...

I really don't think you understand the concept of pre-release software or how software development works. Every build is not always an improvement. Even in production level software it happens that things that worked before get broken and it's going to be even worse in pre-release, preview software. Nature of the beast.

If you don't want things this broken, wait for the over-the-air updates. Then, when things don't work, complain all you like.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
HELLOO! Do you not get that this is pre-release software? Did you not bother to read the release notes that tells you what's broken before installing it? Do you not read the disclaimer that things may not work as expected? Update or not, Microsoft probably has things in the new build that they want to test now but don't want to wait for every little thing to be fixed? It's ludicrous that you would expect pre-release software to function perfectly in every build. Regressions are a normal part of software development and when you're using a preview build, it's going to happen.

I really don't think you understand the concept of pre-release software or how software development works. Every build is not always an improvement. Even in production level software it happens that things that worked before get broken and it's going to be even worse in pre-release, preview software. Nature of the beast.

If you don't want things this broken, wait for the over-the-air updates. Then, when things don't work, complain all you like.

JD, the problem is they shipped production software with the 950XL that was clearly not even close to being ready. So if you wanted more than 4 hours of batter life and any kind of stability, you had to jump on the windows insider program. Then they tease you with a visual voicemail fix (yes, it wasn't in the release code, WTF is up with that?) and you jump on the fast ring, but they don't say FYI this is an entire different branch and you are hosed from any production release fixes for performance.

All of this could be mitigated if a developer took 20 minutes and update the text label in the windows insider app with a little more information, as well as bug fix and known issues list. It's not hard to push out a toast notification of what the next release has, and do you want it.

I think its fair that people here wanted a $700 phone to function like a $700 phone. It's not like the OS was stable, and we all jumped on the insider ring. We are all trying to get a phone that isn't a POS. So stop blaming the consumer, when in fact we are all that MSFT probably has left on this platform. I would hate to see the 950XL sales numbers, they are probably less than 100k units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss