Can't Pair Band 2 w/ 950XL Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
^
The only things I did was to first "unpair" the Band from the WP Bluetooth settings & keep the Band plugged in to AC while pairing which I think is a recommendation I read elsewhere.

rjhin

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
^
The only things I did was to first "unpair" the Band from the WP Bluetooth settings & keep the Band plugged in to AC while pairing which I think is a recommendation I read elsewhere.

Thanks. I tried unpairing, added kept the Band plugged in this time. Still hasn't worked for me.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
The Slow Ring only gets a Fast Ring release after the fast ring people have provided a degree of acceptance testing. When the Slow Ring people get it they should know what they are in for and can avoid it. It will still be pre-release for sure.

That is not TRUE. Fast ring is a totally different version of Windows 10...Redstone or in other terms Windows 10.1 Slow ring is Windows 10 and won't get the Fast Ring code until after Redstone is General Release

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, guys, what is the problem? Is anybody of you forced to put pre release software on their phone? If not, why not just stay clear of it? In the meantime, we are having a great time here, thank you very much.

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched to Norsk (bokmal) and had no problem connecting. My only problem is that since the latest Band 2 Update, it detects 0h sleep each night, even though it knows how long I'm in bed. :-/

Good excuse to get back to learning my Norwegian.

Bigsro

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
beman39, I do not understand why you would be in the insider program and test preview and beta software, if you don't care about release notes and can not tolerate errors? Why don't you just stay on the preproduction ring or even out of insider programme? Again, don't mean to be rude but trying to understand. Of course, evolving things can mean breaking them. This is not only in software but in every other machine as well. You improve a motor, it takes less fuel with more power, but maybe other problems arise, like less reliability.

Things have to be learnt. Things ARE complicated, software in some things even more than physical things.
The wikipedia article about the Dunning-Kruger Effect is always a good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

To me, the windows insider program is a great thing. But, hell yes, sometimes you get burned - it IS prerelease / beta. This fact is also well communicated. So why don't you just stay away from it, which is perfectly OK for everybody, and let us have fun?

I would always prefer a faster release with a known error to a delayed one. So I can actually READ the release notes and then decide for myself. And I would be pretty effing grateful, if you would let me decide myself and not put your point of view on me. Thank you.

Kind of agree but this insider build is shocking. No band sync, hard reset/back restore issue, battery life is shocking, outlook doesn't update properly, notifications are hit and miss, constant reboots. I like being cutting edge but this one is a massive step back for me...

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I agree that it is a little rough build. This, and a newer Firmware (16082) available with WDRT only made me reflash with WDRT (and the newer Firmware) and go back to TH, temporarily, first time in 9 month to be out of the fast ring.

Band sync could be remedied by changing the language (or changing it prior to update and then changing back). No hard reset and damaging backups by doing so is a bummer. Also the daily Bing image not loading ;) Battery life was OK for mine. At least one app would not run anymore and crash instantly (Life360). I liked the new maps and the smoothness, however.

I am a little surprised, that they pushed the 14291 build, as it was not really expected on that day anyway. OTOH it is, what we wanted. More builds. They gave us more builds. Hopefully the next one will come this week.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, guys, what is the problem? Is anybody of you forced to put pre release software on their phone? If not, why not just stay clear of it? In the meantime, we are having a great time here, thank you very much.

Corwin, your arguments are 100% valid IF and ONLY IF the 950xl didn't ship with such a horrible version of WP10 that forced everyone to the insider program. Stupid me for thinking visual voicemail would work out of the box! So lets not slam those who joined the insider program because they were forced to join it (tough to return a phone after 30 days)

If MSFT took more time to manage the end user experience on the insider program in the application itself, by providing meaningful notes, we wouldn't be here. Yes, I can check the blogs, but really, that's your answer? How about they design an insider application that doesn't blow! I am pretty sure you can bind a text label to a data object with 1-2 lines of code, and update a database with one line of code when doing a release.

rjhin

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If you think about it, you should expect to get a whole lot of regression errors in any new branch, where new feature development is key. Think about it for a moment, the Band sync is working but assume they want to optimize it for battery usage because it was deemed to be drawing too much power. Once they explore new architecture or ways of implementing the sync, expect that the old way which worked, with its power drain (my hypothetical case) is likely to be broken. This is the kind of thing that I would expect and it is not incompetence, its the real world that is often hidden from the consumer when they get the final builds, even then with bugs. Think about brand new features and the potential to break existing and working code which sometimes needs to be changed to accommodate the new features.

Last edited:

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Kind of agree but this insider build is shocking. No band sync, hard reset/back restore issue, battery life is shocking, outlook doesn't update properly, notifications are hit and miss, constant reboots. I like being cutting edge but this one is a massive step back for me...

This current build is one of the worst since the early days. Granted it is the early days in a new code branch. I spent lots of time looking through the feedback app (Which kinda sucks on the phone) and I haven't came across anyone else but myself having issues with skype not bringing contacts into messaging. Even after a factory reset the the build is bad. I've rebooted only to have to reboot again because it's like the touch driver didn't load.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Using this phone in the current production build, I don't get what your guys are talking about. My 950XL Dual SIM works great and is a huge improvement over my 920 WinM 8.1. The only thing I'm missing, and it's unique to the Dual SIM version of the XL, is Visual Voice Mail and it is coming as late as Redstone. This thing just works and works, is fast, and bug free. It's a great phone and Windows 10 device!!! Where does all this angst come from???

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Using this phone in the current production build, I don't get what your guys are talking about. My 950XL Dual SIM works great and is a huge improvement over my 920 WinM 8.1. The only thing I'm missing, and it's unique to the Dual SIM version of the XL, is Visual Voice Mail and it is coming as late as Redstone. This thing just works and works, is fast, and bug free. It's a great phone and Windows 10 device!!! Where does all this angst come from???

obviously you haven't used the latest insider fast ring update... production build and fast ring are 2 very different beasts.. hence all the angst, when you install that then come back and ask that question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre