Any WP Users that are also "Audiophiles"?

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been a long time music lover and portable gear enthusiast. Since the 950 & 950XL support OTG connections (previous WPs don't afaik) I've decided to take music listening further by purchasing a portable DAC/Amp to go along with my 950XL. Should have it in a few days and can report how it fares here if anyone is interested. I do have a (many actually) dedicated DAP but it's nice to have variety as well as the convenience having just a phone if traveling or something.

Has anyone else added a DAC/Amp to their WP? Would love to read others purchases and experiences.

Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .?*?*?. Please READ the 3rd post! .?*?*?.

Last edited:

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Nope, I'm an audiophile but I don't have a portable DAC/AMP to go with me all the time. I need some IEM's so still waiting for a good drop on MassDrop. I do own NWavGuys amp but that's about it.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I use a FIIO E07K (Andes) DAC with either Shure SE425 or RHA T20i in-ears. My main hassle has been sourcing a short enough USB-C to USB mini (not micro) cable - I currently have the choice of a metre long cable or a 15cm cable with an adapter plug, both work but neither ideal. The setup works well, sound is so much better than straight analog output, and there is actually enough power to drive the earphones without necessarily the OTT volume.

One thing that has caught my eye is an IndieGoGo campaign for some "digital headphones" - they connect via USB-C (and option other connectors) have a DAC built into the cable and seem to lead up to some reasonable sounding spec in-ears. They have a ESS SABRE 9018Q2C DAC/AMP built into a unit that looks about the size of a regular inline remote/mic! I'm on the verge of laying down my cash because they look ideal for portability with a phone.
Link to Indiegogo Aero Digital Earphone > https://igg.me/at/adigitalearphone/x/40639 (note, I have no association with this campaign, it just caught my eye and I'm sharing).

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really a fan of Groove (WiFi at work is nasty slow), so I use a Walkman ZX2 with a Headstage Arrow 5TX amp, which sounds suitably good to me.

At work, I use Sennheiser PX 200-II headphones (fairly small and noise reducing, and don't let out the music too much)
At home, Sennheiser Momentum or Grado RS/2, depending on how much I want to annoy others with my music

ZipZapRap

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've got an XL and use an AudioEngine D3. What's really weird is that the DAC is super QUIET, compared to my headphones. The max volume just isn't anything near what my headphones are outputting using the phone's audio jack.
Anyone else have this? I know the D3 will use it's built in amp when the software pushes to 100% volume, so I make sure the Headphone volume is 30 before I plug the DAC in. But all combinations just give me the same output; phone is louder than DAC.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have the D3 as well. Also have a D1 I use @ work. I will have to try the D3 with the WP but am still waiting on the USB-C adapter I had ordered in prep for Mojo arrival.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Some said on AudioEngine D3 it is more quiet, for me on Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 it is louder, and I never go above 24 volume because it is really loud, mostly listening on 20-22 volume. Using to connect with TROND AC6 USB Type-C Cable Adapter.

No problems so far using 24-bit/96kHz audio, but a firmware for a 950/950XL is still needed for a better audio playback, specially via headphones jack and there is another thread on that somewhere.

Last edited:

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I received the Mojo today. Unfortunately I can't test it because
A. Mojo requires 10 hour charge before 1st use (according to setup instruction)
B. Dummy me forgot to order a male USB OTG cable for the USB-C adapter (seen attached to WP)

Love the size of the Mojo. Can't wait to hear it one day!

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    744.5 KB · Views: 10

ZipZapRap

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So I tested my Dragonfly tonight. Same outcome as the D3. I have everything turned up to max volume (external display through the DAC, and headphones through the aux jack) and it too is more quiet than the phone's DAC. I've been switching between headphones/DAC constantly, with the same result. No idea what's going on. I might try a new USB OTG cable and see if that's it.

I might also try a different app besides Groove. To those with no problems, what music app are you using?

ZipZapRap

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Some said on AudioEngine D3 it is more quiet, for me on Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 it is louder, and I never go above 24 volume because it is really loud, mostly listening on 20-22 volume. Using to connect with TROND AC6 USB Type-C Cable Adapter

Man, I wonder why you're getting such high volume output. I've ordered the same cable from Amazon UK and will see what happens when it arrives, cheers

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Man, I wonder why you're getting such high volume output. I've ordered the same cable from Amazon UK and will see what happens when it arrives, cheers
To add, mostly I use Groove player, most my FLAC audio files by it self are really loud, but like I said I can't go above 24 volume because it starts to hurt my ears, it is that loud. There is just a slight difference in volume comparing to a headphone jack and USB/DAC, with DAC it is slightly louder, but quality and depth difference is very noticeable, tried several Earphones and Headphones.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am not an "audiophile"...but I do regularly listen to music over BT for up to 8 hrs or more, daily.
My BT of choice is Sony, MW600, MW1, SBH54.
I suspected that the volume output from my Windows Phones was very low, and confirmed that over the past few days using my new BB Passport SE which outputs at a much higher level.

I was wondering, does Windows Phone use "Volume Limiting" to "protect my hearing"?

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering, does Windows Phone use "Volume Limiting" to "protect my hearing"?
Yes there is such a thing, sometimes from 24-25 volume I get notification "that audio is playing loud and that it could damage hearing" and it lower volume automatically to a certain level 18-19 volume. Besides like I said, I never go above 22-24 volume, because it is very loud, of course loudness depends on a headphones and audio files, but I always get a loud playback.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes there is such a thing, sometimes from 24-25 volume I get notification "that audio is playing loud and that it could damage hearing" and it lower volume automatically to a certain level 18-19 volume. Besides like I said, I never go above 22-24 volume, because it is very loud, of course loudness depends on a headphones and audio files, but I always get a loud playback.
I get load enough playback until I am using a "machine", sometimes my phone and BT device are at max volume and it is not enough. When I turn off the machine, the music is blaring loud!
I found this...
https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/Hardware/oem/docs/Customization/Audio_volume_limitation

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I got around to trying my new Mojo with my Lumia 950XL. Apparently it does not work which I discovered for myself when trying the connections and then doing a google search which eventually led me over to head-fi.org.

I purchased a VicTsing USB-C adapter (see previous post w/ photo) and tried both the Mojo-included short USB-A/Micro cable and another longer Monoprice USB-A/Micro cable. Both connections yielded a "This USB device may not work correctly" error message on the WP as soon as the Mojo powered on. First I thought it might be the cable/adapter itself so I connected the 950XL with same cables to an AudioEngine D1 and it worked, playing FLAC music from Groove music app. I then tried connecting same cables back to Mojo but this time connected to my Windows 7 (work) PC. Windows auto-downloaded a driver but I went to Chord's website to get the specific Win7 driver per their instruction on box anyway. After drivers installed the Mojo worked, playing stuff from iTunes. So it's a WP-related issue.

I am wondering since Chord have a driver for Windows 7 OS do they need to provide something for Win10 Mobile?

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I received an email response from Chord's Marketing Manager:

"I'm sorry to say that we have discovered that Windows phones do not work with Mojo as they are unable to install the drivers needed. Other Windows tablets are able to, along with Windows PCs."

Oh well. :unhappy:

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I received an email response from Chord's Marketing Manager:

"I'm sorry to say that we have discovered that Windows phones do not work with Mojo as they are unable to install the drivers needed. Other Windows tablets are able to, along with Windows PCs."

Oh well. :unhappy:

OK. I've done a lot of research on this and you need to make sure that the DAC will work with USB Audio Class 1. Anything that states it uses USB Audio Class 2 needs a driver for windows 10 or windows 10 mobile, which there are none for windows 10 mobile.

The Dragonfly USB works. However, the volume is not loud enough if you have low sensitivity/high impedance headphones (i.e. HD650s, Ether C). It works fine for most earbuds, and other headphones (ATH M50, Grado SR60s, etc).

I searched and recently purchased the Fiio e17k Alpen 2 (DAC & Amp). It works great with my Lumia 950XL. It runs off USB from my phone(it also supports other input types). It has a volume knob on and it will go very loud with all my headphones and so far is sounding great IMO for a portable DAC/AMP solution. To connect it to the 950's, you need a USB-C male to micro-USB male OTG cable. I found mine on amazon for <$10.

There are not that many portable DACs that are compatible with our phones because of MSFT lack of native USB Audio Class 2 support. Android and linux have this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre