Bluetooth Voice-To-Speech (Not Working?)

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello folks, I finally got my hands on the L950 XL... and while I love it I'm severely disappointed right now as the Bluetooth doesn't work the same as all of my W8/W8.1 devices (L920, L1020, L1520, L830).

What I mean is... on the older devices all I had to do was pair my device to the vehicle and it would work flawlessly. That is... It would read incoming texts, I can use Cortana by holding the search button, I can make texts/calls/searches from the Bluetooth.

All of this... however... is not working on the L950 XL. It does not even read incoming texts despite it being ON. "Hey Cortana [...command]" seems to work but then it stops after any more commands. The only thing it can do is just receive calls. I can't hold the search/Cortana button to make commands as I used to.

Alternatively, is there a way I can use "Hey Cortana" without it using Bluetooth? Because I do want to use the Bluetooth for calls---but having "Hey Cortana" work separate of my Bluetooth (since it's not working properly) would be a huge plus to start using it hands free like I would for my L1520.

My only guess is there's a setting I'm missing or this feature was removed in the new Bluetooth version that is in the L950 XL that makes it incompatible with my vehicle.

Anyone have any advice, thoughts or comments?
I'm actually on the edge of selling the 950XL and repairing my L1520's mic and using that again.

Last edited:

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 950xl as well, and a trick to using the phone with car Bluetooth is to create a number for Cortana. I added Cortana to people with the number 5555559876. Dialing this with the normal car controls starts Cortana over Bluetooth.

Enjoy.

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to say that I transferred the number to the car phonebook in the normal way (for my car). I dial cortana, and I stead of making a call, cortana starts and asks what you want.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
oh! very interesting! how did you manage to save Cortana as a contact though? edit, nevermind found her through linking profiles

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I push a button on my BT Sonic Rider and it starts Cortana, just like it was on my 920 when I was pressing a button on my wired headset. But what's not working is when I get a text message it's not read back to me.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I push a button on my BT Sonic Rider and it starts Cortana, just like it was on my 920 when I was pressing a button on my wired headset. But what's not working is when I get a text message it's not read back to me.

My bluetooth is integrated in to my vehicle so I didn't have that privilege. I always had to manually activate Cortana (by holding the search button). She would always read me my messages and give me options. Now, in my car she doesn't do anything. Except respond to "Hey Cortana" (but hangs silent after).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss