Hey all, I just ordered a 950 XL from B&H but I am currently a Verizon customer. I have a lumia icon that is a bit flaky so I wanted to setup the new phone using wifi and just try it for a few days to make sure it's ok to switch carriers. Is there any issue setting up a phone without a SIM card installed?

Thanks for your help guys
    abhishek singh21 likes this.
    03-23-2016 10:57 AM
    AFAIK, it is no problem.
    03-23-2016 11:04 AM
    I usually set mine up first on WiFi then put my sim in after everything is done
    03-23-2016 11:05 AM
    I set up my 950 xl without a sim with no problems. You should be fine.
    03-23-2016 11:08 AM
    Hey all, I just ordered a 950 XL from B&H but I am currently a Verizon customer. I have a lumia icon that is a bit flaky so I wanted to setup the new phone using wifi and just try it for a few days to make sure it's ok to switch carriers. Is there any issue setting up a phone without a SIM card installed?

yes you can. just remember to update all the apps and pending phone updates :)
    03-23-2016 11:16 AM
    Wow that was fast. Thanks for the info guys. I'm really looking forward to getting the phone.
    03-23-2016 01:57 PM
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat, Icon on Verizon and just picked up a 950xl. I did the set up without a SIM and recently picked up a Straight talk Wireless SIM and now I'm testing carriers to see if I can find one that functions well enough to allow me to jump ship from
    Verizon.

I live in Omaha Ne and I'm really struggling to find someone that has good enough service at the local parks when I trail run, snow shoe and mountain bike.

Who are yo swapping to?

Rob
    03-23-2016 05:00 PM

make sure you set up your phone as a new phone and don't set up from a back up from your icon... or you will have problems. a lot have had problems and some haven't... but all the people who have set up a new phone have had the best experience. and like others have said you wont run into problems if you don't pop in a sim card... enjoy your new toy!
    03-23-2016 10:59 PM

I was in the same position as you. Icon on Verizon. I bought a 950xl and a 30 day prepaid SIM from T-Mobile. I not only wanted to test the phone but wanted to test another carrier. I had 30 days to return the phone and had no obligation to T-Mobile after my pre pay expired. Perfect... I carried both the 950xl and the Icon for the entire 30 days. Long story short, I am now a 950xl user on a regular T-Mobile account and the Icon sits and collects dust
    03-23-2016 11:08 PM