Battery life. Your experience?

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Been using for about 1.5 hours standard web browsing and using apps. Down 30%.

What has your experience been like? Im on .164.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
.164 on 950xl is OK, 'but' my 640xl trumps it! Then again it doesn't have the drain imposed due to it's erm less power hungry SoC. 930 is still as bad as ever!!

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
The last production update (.164) seems to have coincided with reduced battery life for me. Whether it is due to the OS update or merely a coincidence because my app usage changed, I don't know.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, for me, great battery life. Running .164 on 950XL dual SIM. Previously, my 920 barely made it to the end of the day. In the beginning, about November 2016, my 950XL was just like the 920. Was pretty disappointed given the bigger battery. Then over time, improved. Now I have half to 1/3rd left at end of day.

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
since updating to OS .164, and firmware 38, the battery on my dual si50xl has been outstanding!

I easily get nearly 30 hours of typical use, (streaming groove music via Bluetooth all day at work, phone calls, messaging, and occasionally some edge google searching).

On weekends when the phone is mostly on standby, (phone calls, facebook, and messaging), am getting nearly 40 hours!

wp_ss_20160328_0002 [489392].jpg

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Right now on my 640
sK6HFR0.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
since updating to OS .164, and firmware 38, the battery on my dual si50xl has been outstanding!

I easily get nearly 30 hours of typical use, (streaming groove music via Bluetooth all day at work, phone calls, messaging, and occasionally some edge google searching).

On weekends when the phone is mostly on standby, (phone calls, facebook, and messaging), am getting nearly 40 hours!

View attachment 124497

You have WIFI, BT off? NFC and any other things off too? I am asking because I pick my 950xl from charger arround 7:30am and it is showing about 20% at 8pm.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I get pretty good battery life. Typical use I always make it through the day. Yesterday, 60 mins of calls, few dozen texts, time on Windows Central app, Facebook, MS news app, a little Edge browsing, 60 mins on Netflix, tracked my hour long bike ride with Endomondo. Phone came off charger at 6:30 AM and went back on charger at 11PM with somewhere between 20 to 30%battery left (estimate)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It varies so much for me, lying around it's great.... if I'm holding it and using it drains too fast.... Seems like I'm at about 80/20 split between in use time and back ground time.

Display averages 70% of my power consumption too.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is subjective at best as not everyone use their phone the same way.

Some like to clear the tombstoned apps others don't bother, some I imagine would probably have more than dozen tabs open in Edge and so on. I had I believe 86 open... had nothing to do on the commute home lol so closed them all (there is no internet signal in the underground {tube/subway}). To compound matters you need to take into account app / code optimisation as some are battery hogs or have poorly implemented background agents. Plus not all batteries are built equal and so on.

So yes, it's a tricky subject to really quantify.

Therefore some will have "better" battery life than others however having said that it's interesting to see what battery life people are getting based on their usage. So keep that feedback coming :).

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
By default I keep Bluetooth, wifi, and nfc off. I only use Bluetooth when listening to music at work or in the car. As soon as I am done, I shut off Bluetooth.

I only turn wifi on when checking for updates, again, when finished I shut wifi off.

I have never used NFC, so it just stays off.

I don't use hello, as I found it to be a bit of a pain back in November when I got the phone, and really don't mind typing a pin to log on.

I keep hey cortana off, except when I am in the car, as I like the ability to quickly access cortana while driving just by my voice. So I turn it on when I get in the car, and then turn it off when I exit the car.

I haven't run tests seeing what my battery drain is with these items constantly on, vs. how I use them now, but I can certainly attest that my battery experience with the 950 xl since OS 164, and firmware 38, has been fantastic!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon