Music play /sound issue

Robert Kieffer

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Any one else have issues with pandora, vlc, and groove not continuing after playing a song? The phone will play a track and then get stuck. Only way to get the next track to play is to pause and play, or in pandora's case skip to the next song. I noticed when it happens, no audio will play from the phone (ring tones, notifications etc).

Maybe sound card driver issue?

GRuthen

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I have experienced this issue. However, the bigger issue for me is that all audio playback is "choppy". The audio will hang for a fraction of a second every few seconds. The problem is occassionally not present, but once it starts, all players are affected (Groove, Spotify, Podcast). The weird thing is, call audio is fine, and video audio is also fine. It's really annoying!

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing ALOT of dropout/ choppy playback, or music just stops playing.
I am using Bluetooth, Groove, and an SD card where my music is stored.
.420 build (all of them really)

To be honest, this issue is not isolated to my 950 XL, or a single BT headset, as I also find it can happen on my HTC M9.

Today, just to test, I turned off WiFi while I worked in the yard.
I experienced NO dropouts, or choppy playback. The music player never stopped.

This is just one test, over 4 hours. I will update as I continue testing over the next few days.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I went back outside after my last comment, I hadn't turned the WiFi back off, and almost immediately I started getting dropouts again.
I turned the WiFi back off and the dropout went away.

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently having problems with Groove regarding lack of sound. When I try to play a song, I'm not getting any music from either headphones or from phone. All other sounds are working as is you tube. Even downloaded another media player and that is working fine

Lex D

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank god I found a post that people are experiencing the same thing as me.
It is the most frustrating thing, and all I seem to be able to do to solve is to restart the phone.

I haven't yet worked out what triggers this issue - I suspect it has something to do with plugging in the headphones.
But it affects audio from video (ie youtube, facebook) and audio (groove). Sound is "choppy". The audio will hang for a fraction of a second every few seconds.

I restart the phone, and then all volumes (notifications & media) are now on max.

I am sick of doing this - it is a lumia 950, only 8 months old, I shouldn't have to put up with this inferior functionality!
Two updates ago seemed to fix this issue, but the last update has now re-introduced it.

Last edited:

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
It is the most frustrating thing, and all I seem to be able to do to solve is to restart the phone.
Sound is "choppy". The audio will hang for a fraction of a second every few seconds.

That has only happened to me once?
My biggest problem is the WiFi(?) interference.

Lex D

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Have confirmed that the trigger is headphones.

1) was watching a video from facebook through the ie site (not the app)
2) paused video and plugged in headphones
3) audio is now choppy
4) unplugged headphones and resumed video - audio is fine
5) plugged back in - audio choppy again. Played a song through groove - audio still choppy.

Lex D

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I tested this with WiFi today.
Experienced the choppy playback. I was not connected to WiFi, however I turned the WiFi availability off, then back on, and the choppiness was gone.
As with @JRDEMASKUS, this is just one test. Will report back on further findings.
Happy to say, though, that if this works it is significantly less painful than re-booting the whole phone.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing ALOT of dropout/ choppy playback, or music just stops playing.
I am using Bluetooth, Groove, and an SD card where my music is stored.
.420 build (all of them really)

To be honest, this issue is not isolated to my 950 XL, or a single BT headset, as I also find it can happen on my HTC M9.

Today, just to test, I turned off WiFi while I worked in the yard.
I experienced NO dropouts, or choppy playback. The music player never stopped.

This is just one test, over 4 hours. I will update as I continue testing over the next few days.

For the last week I have been using the HTC M9 as my primary phone for work, as the app I need to use is not available for Windows Phone.
I have been having trouble uploading photos over mobile, have to turn off the WiFi.
Today the music repeatedly stopped playing. I checked and the WiFi was on.
Turned off WiFi and the problem went away.

So Good News, my "Flagship" Windows Phone is no worse than my "Flagship" Android phone. Also, Android still is not reading my text messages like WP does. Music doesn't shuffle any better either. With several new folders of music, I am still hearing songs repeat the next day, despite the fact that I have several 7 hour days worth of music.
The M9 is filthy with dirt all over the Otter box. Glad I am not trashing the 950XL. I can't use the zipper case because I need the phone in my hand, several times an hour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte