04-09-2016 12:47 AM
63 123
tools
    Lumia 640 user here on preview release .164.. thinking to bite the bullet n go redstone or not.. Whats your experience so far with it?
    .164 is definitely more stable - however this build has been better than I expected it to be. Runs mostly well and battery life has actually been better for me,but some apps don't play well with it... specifically the Instagram (WM10) Beta. Running that app results in immediate system lockup and the only way out is a soft reset. There are some interesting improvements to live tiles but I would say if you're happy on .164, sit tight as there is not (imo) any significant feature set enhancements on 14295.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-04-2016 10:27 AM
    Good copy ddartman7, will stay put until redstone rolls out to the general public...
    04-05-2016 03:35 AM
    I just reset my 950xl from the slow ring red stone build to stock. the reason I upgraded was visual voicemail, and wanting that feature. the reason i've downgraded was the build was unstable due to:
    1. inconsistent logging in
      1. when i get a notification, the pin disappears, and i can't log in

2. battery usage spiking
      1. the battery setting says the start screen is using 11% over the past 24 hours. that's pretty significant. i don't know why it's using that much, since i'm not really doing anything different. my only interpretation is there's a new feature in the start screen that we don't know about that's draining battery.
    04-08-2016 03:13 PM
    I just reset my 950xl from the slow ring red stone build to stock. the reason I upgraded was visual voicemail, and wanting that feature. the reason i've downgraded was the build was unstable....
    Yeah, 14295 is definitely stinky. Not as bad as I feared, no where near good enough to be a daily driver. I've decided to muddle through with it until the next build arrives and hope that ends up being stable enough to stick with until the official Redstone production build arrives. If not there will be a restore in my not distant future as well.
    04-08-2016 05:53 PM
    I'd just like to do a survey on how many complaining about a buggy beta(i nearly wet myself every time i read these), are actual devs? And another hand count on how many READ THE FLIPPING DISCLAIMER WHEN INSTALLING INSIDER? Sorry, caps lock got stuck. And another hand count on how many realize that Insider is to TEST and not GET new features?
    04-08-2016 08:27 PM
    I'd just like to do a survey on how many complaining about a buggy beta(i nearly wet myself every time i read these), are actual devs?
    Can I offer you a towel to dry yourself sir? Or perhaps I can give you a hand getting down off your high-horse? I guess all us numbskulls in the Insider program missed the part in the "FLIPPING DISCLAIMER" where it stipulates the Windows Insider program exists solely for the benefit of "actual devs". Oh wait - memo from Microsoft "The Windows Insider Program is open to EVERYONE".

The quality of any build is subjective, particularly beta releases. Yeah, this build has too many bugs that, for the average user means they may wish to skip it and stay on the preview release channel. That of course is just my experience and observation. As I said in an earlier post - ymmv.

Many people come to a forum like this seeking the guidance and experience of others. So other than a few lines of snark, what have you contributed to help those people looking for guidance as it relates to this insider build?.
    04-08-2016 11:38 PM
    Your post proves my point, to a tee. What help are any of you giving MS by freaking out and the OP telling people to get out of Insider. Your JOB as an insider is to help with bug detection and testing. The fact you guys back out to a stable build is proof it NEEDS to be a dev only program. You guys just want shiny and new, period. Stick with the build, report bugs, test, and DONT install on a daily driver like it says in the disclaimer. You can learn a lot by reading before clicking agree.
    04-09-2016 12:07 AM
    To be fair I never report bugs. I just like early updates lmao
    Allen Rhodes likes this.
    04-09-2016 12:09 AM
    Can I offer you a towel to dry yourself sir? Or perhaps I can give you a hand getting down off your high-horse?
    I literally spat my drank at this line. It's been awhile since I found actual humor on WC that isn't me laughing at people constantly pushing Android as the be all end all answer.
    ddartman7 likes this.
    04-09-2016 12:11 AM
    To be fair I never report bugs. I just like early updates lmao
    At least you are honest about it. I can respect that. But I can't respect "it's crap" or other nonsense about it "breaking" phones. I'm sure by admitting that, you wouldn't post on here how MS owes you a phone if it ever bricked. And people posting here isn't reporting bugs to MS.
    04-09-2016 12:29 AM
    At least you are honest about it. I can respect that. But I can't respect "it's crap" or other nonsense about it "breaking" phones. I'm sure by admitting that, you wouldn't post on here how MS owes you a phone if it ever bricked. And people posting here isn't reporting bugs to MS.
    Oh yeah I don't really complain about bugs, even when they annoy me because it's not like I care enough to report them. It's kind of like me submitting a complaint for food from a restaurant being cold that I got free.

It also annoys me when people whine about the insider builds being laggy and bug filled in comparison to other platforms. Compare an official update is fine but comparing a preview is dumb Imo.

Or worse those who haven't used insiderpreviww since October 2015, but still say the os sucks.
    Allen Rhodes likes this.
    04-09-2016 12:34 AM
    ...The fact you guys back out to a stable build is proof it NEEDS to be a dev only program....
    Maybe chill just a little?
    1. Last I checked this is not a Microsoft site, so forum comments here are not intended to be directed to Microsoft
    2. This is a user forum which, like the insider program is open to everyone, even people who you consider beneath you.
    3. "Freaking out" is also subjective. "Almost wetting oneself" I think qualifies for this characterization, don't you?
    4. Microsoft is getting mountains of feedback from *SHOCK* insider users just like you, me and anyone else in the program whether or not they report bugs and give feedback directly... it's called telemetry but a smart guy like you already knows that right?
    5. If Microsoft felt the insider program would better serve their needs by being open only to developers, I'm pretty certain that's exactly what they would have done.

Get over yourself already. Now excuse me sir while I go have a life for the remainder of the evening.
    04-09-2016 12:41 AM
    Calm down please.

Thread closed temporarily.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-09-2016 12:47 AM
63 123