Disappointing glass of the Lumia 950XL.

schwarze Pest

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I bought the lumia 950xl an overall I am happy with the phone. Only one mayor problem remains:

Microsoft state the phone have a Gorilla glas 4! I don't belive that!
I have the phone for 1 month now and never had it in the pocket with keys or something like that but I have a lot of scratches on the glas.

Bevore the 950 xl I had a 930, a blackberry passport and Blackberry Z30 and NONE of them had scratches after one year!
The 930 and the passport had gorilla glas but I dont belive the 950xl has it or I have a model with the wrong glas!

Does anybody else have this problem?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The 950 XL has Gorilla Glass 4. Whether or not your screen gets scratched depends on a lot of factors. To be honest, I would never put the phone in the same pocket as my keys. They could gouge the case, scratch the camera lens, etc. Just not worth the risk. That being said, if the scratches are really fine, shallow ones, they may just be the oleophobic coating on the glass. You can buy coating that you can re-apply to the screen that will fill those types of scratches and keep the oil and water resistance of the glass fresh.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
If you have Gorilla Glas then you have a knock-off phone. You need to ensure your device has Gorilla Glass

But yeah, falconrap pretty much explains it.

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm also pretty much pissed about this. I kept my 950xl on backpack on floor next to my bean bag. When i got up and picked up the backpack, the phone flipped and fell face first. Hardly from 2 to 3 inches height and got a big *** scratch right there in the middle of the screen. WTF I had 1520 before and it survived crashes way worse than this and came out without any deep scratch. Now only solution is to get a tempered glass and hope it hides that scratch.

Charliefr3sh

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm also pretty much pissed about this. I kept my 950xl on backpack on floor next to my bean bag. When i got up and picked up the backpack, the phone flipped and fell face first. Hardly from 2 to 3 inches height and got a big *** scratch right there in the middle of the screen. WTF I had 1520 before and it survived crashes way worse than this and came out without any deep scratch. Now only solution is to get a tempered glass and hope it hides that scratch.

I have a 1520 and it has cracked the screen twice by just falling a few centimetres off the ground! I think Microsoft high end phones' screens are just too fragile. I've resorted to puting a tempered glass screen protector.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Have not a single scratch on my L950 which I have since December and now recently I slammed on a Hybrid Tempered Glass which I am very satisfied with, plus I use slim pocket case, so it is safe in my pocket or elsewhere.

But mainly it comes down to a user and how he takes care off his stuff.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had no scratches on my 1520 (no protection) for the two years that I had it.

I've also not used any protection on my 950XL. Nothing has happened to that either.

I'm certainly not obsessive about keeping my phone clean or safe and use basic common sense in taking care of it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I can never understand the wisdom of someone spending 700 + bucks on a phone then shove it in their pockets with keys, coins, chapsticks, pocket knives and such, walk around, sit, stand, run and whatever else and then get surprised by scratches.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Exact reason i am not buying 950 series.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I can never understand the wisdom of someone spending 700 + bucks on a phone then shove it in their pockets with keys, coins, chapsticks, pocket knives and such, walk around, sit, stand, run and whatever else and then get surprised by scratches.

Why are you making this comment? The OP said he never did any such event and still ends up with scratches.

For me, I've had my Lumia 950 XL since day one and it still looks brand new. Not sure where your scratches came from, but hopefully you find and solve the mystery.

Good luck!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Gorilla glass isn't scratch resistant, it offers extra protection. Gorilla glass 4 actually allows you to make the glass much thinner and offer the same protection as gorilla glass 3. My guess is the glass is quite thin on these so you're really getting the same protection as gorilla glass 3. And of course, the oleophilic coating can also be scratched giving the impression that the glass has scratched. I believe these don't have the best coating as they get extremely dirty and a lot of stuff sticks to it. My lumia 830 in comparison is much better when it comes to this regard. My lumia 950xl has taken a few hits without getting scratched. It depends on many factors. I have heard that a lot of oled screens mix with lotus glass. It's hard to say. I know that Corning Glass doesn't list the lumia 950 or xl as having gorilla glass 4. They told me they have non-disclosure agreements with some companies and can't put it on their website.

The protection from falls/scratches will definitely rival gorilla glass 3 with these just because of how thin the device is.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Another thought to this scratched glas(s) mystery....

Maybe OP doesn't shave due to having titanium beard/whiskers? Phone gets put up to ear/side of face and...scratch-o!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why are you making this comment? The OP said he never did any such event and still ends up with scratches.

For me, I've had my Lumia 950 XL since day one and it still looks brand new. Not sure where your scratches came from, but hopefully you find and solve the mystery.

Good luck!
Because unless you buy a phone pre-scratched it's obvious something caused the scratches. Wait, you don't think the glass scratched itself do you? Maybe one of the OP's friends or family got hold of the phone and caused the scratches. I assumed only the OP was ever in proximity of the phone and is responsible for why it has scratches. But maybe you believe the air did it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
OH One more thing. Get a fiber cloth. Wet it a bit and do some circular motions around the scratched areas. The fiber cloth will not wet easily so you may need to keep it under running water for a bit. I had a weird area that seemed like a scratch and i felt it when i moved my finger across it. It took a bit of cleaning to get rid of it. Just keep the screen off and look at it at the right angle and clean away.

The cloth looks like this and typically used for tv's and other screens.

micro_fiber_cloth.jpg

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
From what I understand, GG4 is not as scratch resistant as GG3....GG4 was formulated to be more flexible and thus not crack as easily.....and fyi, 950 uses GG3, 950XL uses GG4.

Sent from mTalk

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Before my first phone call is ever made on any new phone I buy it has a screen protector on it.

At least any phone I've paid 250.00 plus for. I don't trust the glass gimmicks.

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
To all of you who say you don't have scratches at all after some use..
Do you mean you don't have big noticeable scratches, or you don't have even those small, visible at certain angle, small scratches?
I thought the same until I checked at direct light at every angle.
Could you check again and comment?

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Before my first phone call is ever made on any new phone I buy it has a screen protector on it.

At least any phone I've paid 250.00 plus for. I don't trust the glass gimmicks.

I have yet to find a screen protector that perfectly fits and stays adhered to the 950XL. I have recently ordered a Nillkin protector and will see how that turns out.

Often the screen protector itself is the gimmick. So far my 5 month old 950XL has remained scratch free going commando on the display. Same with my year old 930. And before that my 800. I'm only getting one for the 950XL just for curiosity's sake.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
OH One more thing. Get a fiber cloth. Wet it a bit and do some circular motions around the scratched areas. The fiber cloth will not wet easily so you may need to keep it under running water for a bit. I had a weird area that seemed like a scratch and i felt it when i moved my finger across it. It took a bit of cleaning to get rid of it. Just keep the screen off and look at it at the right angle and clean away.

The cloth looks like this and typically used for tv's and other screens.

View attachment 124831

it's also a good method for removing dust, grime and anything that blemishes the screen

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
To all of you who say you don't have scratches at all after some use..
Do you mean you don't have big noticeable scratches, or you don't have even those small, visible at certain angle, small scratches?
I thought the same until I checked at direct light at every angle.
Could you check again and comment?

I have a lumia 1020, got a hard flip cover for it at the very beginning. So far I can only see a light scratch at a certain angle. This was most probably due to the wrist strap that came with it which is a metallic ring

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05