Disappointing glass of the Lumia 950XL.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 950XL in December. I can only fine one minor scratch that can only be seen at a particular angle while holding it towards the light, even though the phone has undergone a lot of abuse.

For me, scratches have never been an issue with this phone. What I am disappointed about, with GG4 is the lack of glossiness and the propensity to make the display look dull. Also, it gathers more fingerprints, the oleophobic coating is worse than previous iterations.

All this comparing a 920/950XL side by side, both of which I use daily.

Jack Ciriello

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd never put my phone in the same pocket as keys... That being said, I did drop the 950XL from pocket height (thing is so big it wasn't all the way in the pocket when I let go) on to tile flooring and its 100% fine.

I had the Lumia 1020 for 2.5 years with no screen protector on it and the screen is still perfect. Compare that to iphones or earlier galaxies and it makes you realize how great the Lumias are.

My suggestion, stop putting the phone in your pocket with keys.

mark McWilliams

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I agree I never put my phone in the same pocket as my keys and I have a 950 that I bought on black Friday and is in perfect condition and I have dropped it twice one being last night from waist height on to hardwood floor and still no scratches but this morning I put my fosmon rubber case back on just incase

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My son works at AT&T here in town. At least twice a week he brings home a story about the condition of customer smart phones and how the owner claims to have no idea of how it happened.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
That's offtopic, the 950 doesn't have Gorilla Glass 4.
Did you lectured everyone in this post that mentioned any other phone instead of 950XL? That is kinda an off-topic too.

Main idea is how you take care of any screen, and Thread creator claimed that screen is bad, weak, you name it, but this test shows that it is not bad at all and it is really scratch resistant as the other, even though it is said that it is not that scratch resistant as GG3, had L950XL myself for a while, two to three months, not a single scratch, never had any scratches on any other older Lumias.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snmG1QOOXXI

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Did you lectured everyone in this post that mentioned any other phone instead of 950XL?
That's a great idea.

You don't see the difference? People might assume that the 950 and the 950 XL has the same type of glass. I don't think that's the case with 1020 or 1520, both more than two years old.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The 950 XL has Gorilla Glass 4. Whether or not your screen gets scratched depends on a lot of factors. To be honest, I would never put the phone in the same pocket as my keys. They could gouge the case, scratch the camera lens, etc. Just not worth the risk. That being said, if the scratches are really fine, shallow ones, they may just be the oleophobic coating on the glass. You can buy coating that you can re-apply to the screen that will fill those types of scratches and keep the oil and water resistance of the glass fresh.

GG4 is shatter resistant, not scratch resistant. GG4 means your screen won't break most of the times for small falls. It has oleophobic (oil resistant) coating that can, will and should easily scratch because of its chemistry. However, it won't scratch deep into glass, only the top layer.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
To all of you who say you don't have scratches at all after some use..
Do you mean you don't have big noticeable scratches, or you don't have even those small, visible at certain angle, small scratches?
I thought the same until I checked at direct light at every angle.
Could you check again and comment?

Just completely wiped the screen clean and checked. No "small, visible at certain angle, small scratches" at all. Phone goes in my front left pocket all the time and the glass faces inwards towards me. Wallet goes behind that. (My wallet is on the outside of the phone so if something hits my leg, it gets hit, not the phone.) Sometimes I worry that my camera lens will get scratched, but it hasn't yet (that I can see) and the pictures look fine.

My old 640 was the same way. My original Motorola Droid (or maybe it was my HTC Trophy?) got a scratch I could see at the right angle, but I've had pretty good luck. Stopped using screen protectors a long time ago.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree with OP

Had many phones including iPhone 6, Nexus 6, passport, 1520.

No screen scratches on any of them. Had a 950xl for a few weeks. I have been incredibly careful with it.

Screen has a scratch already.

Game over for me and Microsoft this time. Never ever again.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Another "I have no idea how it got scratched", this glass just scratches itself...................

Clearly you can't read or English is your second language then.

The point was that all the other devices have been used for years now and the glass has not scratched. The Lumia has been used in the same way for a matter of weeks and has already got scratches.

Is it too difficult for you to grasp?

Last edited:

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Completely ridiculous.

Scratches & cracks can happen to any phone in some of the oddest of circumstances.

For instance, I've dropped my 950 on concrete multiple times - hard - and the screen literally has zero scratches. While I've also completely shattered previous Lumias and iPhones by dropping them from only a a foot or so onto carpet, sitting on them in my back pocket, and just bumping into them. The difference isn't a significantly tougher glass, its sheer luck or lack thereof.

Your phone has Gorilla Glass. Microsoft isn't lying about it, and neither is Gorilla Glass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise