MS maps

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
is anyone else here having trouble with the MS maps, where there is no voice nav to help direct you? mine seems to be not working and I have looked everywhere to enable or even choose what voice (male or female) I prefer! I just can't seem to find it... BTW I'm on 14295,1000

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
ah so it has something to do with being on the insider... another problem with redstone *rollseyes* anyways thanks for the reply

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
ah so it has something to do with being on the insider... another problem with redstone *rollseyes* anyways thanks for the reply

"B"man, I just trid my maps' App, and it is working fine. I am on fast ring, 950XL, Dual Sim, USA. You don't by chance have your Bluetooth "on", and therefore muting the external speaker?

For what its worth, I no longer am able to hear the word pronounciation in the AED App.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that the Maps App narration is now run by a global command.
SETTING > Ease of Access > Narrator > Voice > Choice a voice??????
the above my be wrong, so please don't hold be to it... I have a short memory:)

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I also have 950XL, I don't find anywhere to turn on voice navigation. I really miss the feature from HERE Drive. When I use the navigation function from the Map I could not hear it. My phone is not paired to any Bluetooth device.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to try is to make sure the navigation isn't muted. When on the navigation screen, hit the ellipses (...) and there should be an option to mute or not mute. Just a thought. Hope this is of help.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Recap of things to try (maps app on 14295):

Bluetooth is off.

Check your Cortana Settings:
- Cortana > Settings > Getting around > Traffic, time, route notifications > "on"
- Cortana > Settings > Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more > "on"

also, like Hypnopottamus said "make sure mute in off".

and of course there is the all to familiar: uninstall Maps > soft rebooth > reinstall Maps???

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
if i follow your above posted link it says:
Cortana will give you turn-by-turn directions (if Cortana is enabled)
So this means there is no more offline-navigation with turn-by-turn voice directions. If MS starts now to use cortana for this i guess we will never again get real offline-navigation like in HereDrive+. So Maps is useless for me, i don?t know what to do when HereDrive+ stops working in July.

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Cortana still speaks the directions when offline. Why do you think it will make a difference?

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

When updating to redstone ask yourself this:
Does it have any new features worth the headache? NO -> Proceed to not install

Most redstone builds up until now have been more focus on the kernel code, so you get nothing out of being on it other than providing telemetry to MS.

The next build should come out today or next week. Depends on how quickly they test the cellular data fix.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I have no "getting around" in settings with cortana where is this located, maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
And what those of us that haven't Cortana will do with maps voice navigation?

You do not need cortana for voice navigation of MS Maps, but it seems that there is limited voices available for MS Maps. Many european languages missing, but English (USA, UK), German and Spanish (Spain, Mexico) should be there ... I am using US English for MS maps (for voice navigation) and it works just fine, but I had to change my phone language to US English for that ...

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I actually had convinced myself to stay with the Production Builds after a fiasco I had when travelling right after a Fast Ring update, but after reading that the new Maps App was available only on Fast Ring (.267 I think), I dove head first, fight back into the deep end. I travel a lot, a lot of the times on back roads for long distances, so a good navigational map is crucial. I have used the new Windows Maps App, and I for one like it a lot.

Anyway, I digress... again!

Regarding Cortana, this is what I read:

When Cortana is enabled, you will receive turn-by-turn directions in Cortana’s voice, currently supported for English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Simplified Chinese (China), French (France), Italian (Italy), German (Germany) and Spanish (Spain).

Regarding Offline use:

Local search, robust offline capability, 3D cities and street imagery are just a few of the things already available in the Windows 10 Maps app we know you love using every day. Your favorites are now available offline so you can truly enjoy your offline maps and take advantage of all the places you have saved. You can also add notes to your favorites to keep track of things you want to remember about that place.

The above quotes are copy and pasted from:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/03/17/new-features-in-windows-10-maps-app/

Cheers!

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have no "getting around" in settings with cortana where is this located, maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

"B" man,

- Hit Search (magnifying glass located bottom right), this will open Cortana.
- Hit Hamburger Icon (top Left of page).
- Hit "NOTEBOOK" from the selection list.
- Hit "Setting" (fourth down) from selection list.
- Make sure that "Cortana can give you suggestions, idea, reminders, alerts and more" is in the ON position.

ALSO for the GETTING AROUND setting:
- Hit Search (magnifying glass located bottom right), this will open Cortana.
- Hit Hamburger Icon (top Right of page).
- Hit "NOTEBOOK" from the selection list.
- go past settings, to the tenth (on my 950XL, dual sim, .295, USA) option down "GETTING AROUND".
- make sure "Traffic, time and route notification is "ON".

these are the settings I have and my phone is giving me turn by turn (UNLESS I have my BLUETOOTH "ON". If I do have BT "ON", I get nothing in the way of voice navigation if I don't have a headset on)

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6