Anyone tried Verizon sim on non-data 2G?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I know people have said Verizon LTE doesn't work on 950XL. I'm curious if you can use Verizon sim on the non-data designation as a second SIM. Will it be able to make phone calls on EDGE or 2G network at all?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK the only non Verizon capable phone that has been made to work on Verizon is the Nexus 5, which is highly configurable. Even then it was LTE only.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about this too. We have a bunch of "holes" here in WA state, particularly around some of our ski areas, where Verizon fills things, I'm guessing it's due to some political wrangling, who knows.
Anyway, if you go into the analytics screens, it sure looks like there's a CDMA radio there, not that it necessarily attaching to any valid signals, but then I don't have a SIM, so that seems "correct".
Has anyone with a Verizon SIM tried this, and in particular, checked out the signal screens, to see if they change?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
reason for me asking this is because of the area I work in has no ATT reception. I can get by with wifi for most things, but just want a phone number in case people need to reach me. outside of work, ATT LTE is fine. Want to utilize the dual sim, so I don't need to carry a Verizon compatible phone in addition to my regular phone.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Verizon (and Sprint, US Cellular, and nTelos for that matter) will only support voice calls via CDMA. There is a case for Verizon LTE data being possible, but as far as I know it hasn't been supported.

As far as national carriers AT&T and T-Mobile are going to be the only choices. Maybe there is a regional GSM carrier that offers service at work?

The cold hard truth is that nobody can touch Verizon for coverage in most parts of the country.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon (and Sprint, US Cellular, and nTelos for that matter) will only support voice calls via CDMA. There is a case for Verizon LTE data being possible, but as far as I know it hasn't been supported.

As far as national carriers AT&T and T-Mobile are going to be the only choices. Maybe there is a regional GSM carrier that offers service at work?

The cold hard truth is that nobody can touch Verizon for coverage in most parts of the country.

Verizon has voice over LTE...they have for years now (in most areas by now).... It's all about the bands in the phone, I think the 950/950XL are missing some major VZW bands... GO on your phone, make a call, put them on speaker phone, try to use data (not Wi-Fi) if it does work, your under Voice over LTE....Talk and surf on Verizon was shown when the feature was enabled.

Some parts MIGHT work, don't remember if anyone fully tested it or not but, I am sure by now SOMEONE HAS.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Talk/data over 4G has worked for at least a year or so, on AT&T, NP.
It also works on my new T-Mobile setup, also 4G, quite readily, I just tested it, and loaded a fairly intensive multi-layer weather radar page.

Unfortunately, no one seems to have VoLTE for the 950 XL right now, or at least any US carriers. Hopefully this will change, along with WiFi calling...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss