Switch from android to windows - worth it? what will I miss?

taette

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

in a few months I will be able to decide if I wanna keep on the android side or maybe switch to windows. Momentarily I'm using Windows 10 Pro on my desktop pc and everything works perfect. I never used a linux or apple OS on my pc and will never use it. The question is, will I miss some really important apps (I don't use that much - I'm using swiftkey, chrome, lastpass, Google authenticator, discord, whatsapp and an app to plan my buying of groceries and so on) or will I become quickly bored when I buy a new lumia 950 xl?
I really love the appearance of it and the specs are awesome.

If u switched from android to windows, do u miss some stuff or is everything okay? do u regret the step to change?

thank you for your impressions

best regards

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
you will miss apps. if you are heavily dependent on apps stick with Android. Whats App is available, anything Google probably wont be, not sure about the rest

But...

What will you gain? Tiles, awesome camera (950/950xl), Windows hello, continuum, best Cortana experience across your devices, MS services, frequent OS updates, etc...

I guess you just need to decide which is a better fit for you

sam sundar

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

in a few months I will be able to decide if I wanna keep on the android side or maybe switch to windows. Momentarily I'm using Windows 10 Pro on my desktop pc and everything works perfect. I never used a linux or apple OS on my pc and will never use it. The question is, will I miss some really important apps (I don't use that much - I'm using swiftkey, chrome, lastpass, Google authenticator, discord, whatsapp and an app to plan my buying of groceries and so on) or will I become quickly bored when I buy a new lumia 950 xl?
I really love the appearance of it and the specs are awesome.

If u switched from android to windows, do u miss some stuff or is everything okay? do u regret the step to change?

thank you for your impressions

best regards

Things u will miss are laggy UI and Low battery error 🔋
For sure ....

walrusmonarch

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

in a few months I will be able to decide if I wanna keep on the android side or maybe switch to windows...
best regards

Depends on what apps you consider important. The basics are there on Windows. Typically it is the local apps that are absent. Banking might be difficult as well. Lastpass is available. Microsoft's Authenticator app should work well. I don't know about Discord though. You can take a look at Microsoft's app store to get an idea of what is and what isn't available.

In fact, I prefer some apps on Windows. The integration of my work email/calendar with the stock Outlook/Calendar apps is great. Apps like Baconit (for reddit), Nextgen Reader (RSS reader) are fantastic. Haven't been able to find replacements for those on Android that work for me.

The UX, in my opinion, is WAY better on Windows. The live tiles are awesome, widgets never seemed to work quite as well on Android. Not to mention, with live tiles, the whole interface is cohesive. It looks and functions well.

If you get the 950/950XL, the camera will blow you away... I thought my Note 5's camera was awesome, then I got my 950 XL... It really is amazing. Especially in low light. The difference may not be very apparent if you only view your photos on smaller screens (like Smartphones), but if you ever look at them on bigger monitor, then it is just amazing. The detail/low noise is impressive. The only downside is, processing the images after you take them takes a few seconds, but the results are definitely worth it.

Sometimes, the edge browser has been a bit slower than Chrome/Firefox on Android, but that may just be congestion on my network.

Cortana is getting better with updates. I don't think it is quite up there with Google Now yet in terms of showing me information based on context. There isn't anything comparable on Windows for Now on Tap though.

If you can get by with the apps on Windows, then I honestly think you will be pleasantly surprised by the experience.

The only thing I miss is my Note 5's s-pen (and associated software like S Note), and that is specific to Samsung, not a feature from stock Android.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Win 10 mobile is no shape to compete with android even ms know this so I would wait till when everyone including ms understands that win mobile is either as good or better than the competition but not until then. All you will do is be frustrated . I was.

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I switched, don't miss Android one bit, but I do have an Android tablet if needed.....I had a lot of apps on Android, but realized that I actually didn't use many of them...only apps that I miss are my banking, and SiriusXm....but that is me....I picked up a 640 for a work phone and found that I really enjoyed Windows......after a while I decided to go with a 950 for my personal phone.......no regrets at all.....if possible try before you buy, because in the end only you can answer that question.

Sent from mTalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would get a cheap Windows Phone like a 550 or 640 second hand and trial the OS before you fully invest in it. That way you know exactly what you're getting yourself into and if you can't get on with it you can always sell the handset on.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I moved over from Android and so far, I am very pleased. Love the tiles. I used to always 'lose' my apps in Android because it took too long to find them on the screens. I like having the apps in a list like the Windows phone has. The camera is AWESOME. I haven't had any problems like others have had but I'm not on Insider. I just wait for the updates to come as they are. The only thing I have missed are some apps.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Yup. A hit & miss OS with W10M especially on Insider. That's about it. I was a heavy app user on iOS & Android, still am since I still have an iPad and Samsung Galaxy S. But I have what I need to get by with apps on Windows phone. I went from iOS to WP to Android and back to WP. I prefer the whole eco-system of Windows/Windows Mobile over the others.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
While I enjoy my Windows Phone, it is more like a drug. I really enjoyed it when I started, but now it is hard to justify continuing to use.
Just keep wanting to get back to that original feeling.

Windows Mobile 5- 6x was different, I liked how it worked, more like Windows ME or XP(?)
Windows Phone 7- 10 has not been as "fun".
But it works well, and in a "final form" it is more stable and "safe"(?) than Android.

I still keep an Android Phone and Tablet to "complete" my lineup,

But I consider my 950XL, my "Primary Device". (Though I have had better)

I suggest you keep a capable Android on hand.
Don't bother with a low end Windows Phone (or Android, etc). Any device with less than 2G RAM is not worth the effort.
If you want the full experience, don't skimp on the hardware.

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
As you can see, the experience is very personal. While I also suggest trying out W10 on a secondary device before investing, keep in mind that the 950/XL will/should offer an overall better experience than a low budget device, especially in the camera department. On Instagram I follow a lot of Lumia devices (through hashtags) and see lots of really nice samples. Of course, the file would be better in its original form (no compression, etc.).
Once you get a feel for the OS, you'll see exactly what you'll miss. In my usage, I have each OS and really love my Lumia 830 with W10, it is my daily driver for most of the time on either one of my 2 lines. Just a few days ago I switched it for my Xperia Z3 just to keep up my cycle, but when I do have the Lumia, I don't miss a thing. Well, the only thing would be that gifs don't play when I get them in Twitter, FB messenger or Whatsapp, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Based on your usage I don't think it would matter. You can find most alternatives other than Chrome. As someone who owns an android phone, iphone and 950xl/830. I don't use the other ones at all. If you told me you were switching from iphone though, I would say to stay on there. Android i do not like but that's my personal preference.

But I'll give you some good advice. If you don't feel any rush to switch I would wait for the prices of the 950xl to drop down. It is definitely an impressive piece of hardware make no mistake about that. But the OS is the limiting factor. If you can wait for summer when the new windows 10 update comes out then you will likely get a better price and a more polished OS. Now, that isn't to say that the current stable branch is not polished but it is missing features that are being added on the insider builds. And yes you can run the insider builds but you will experience bugs that may throw you off windows if you're not used to it. But then again android is littered with bugs. Though I can't get Marshmallow so I don't know how much things have changed. My guess is Marshmallow is much better than the previous versions.

The apps are just starting to come in for the ecosystem. One thing that I can say is that the twitter app is actually better on windows 10 mobile than it is on my iphone. And that's rare. Very rare. Also more apps will be available by summer time as well so you save money plus get a better selection.

I only say this because it's not a cheap phone. Now, if you want to take advantage of continuum, then you will be happy, especially if you have another PC that you can Remote desktop into. What I did is connected my PC to my tv and my desk space is completely clean and I just connect my phone to a monitor/keyboard/mouse and rdp to my desktop. It's an awesome experience. Gotta go somewhere? Sure unplug my phone quickly and head out, best part is that it was charging all that time so I don't have to worry about battery.

You will be getting a phone that lets you peak into the future of what MS is trying to achieve. By no means is this future still finished. Spring 2017 is when MS will release their new line up of hardware with the completed version of windows 10. By completed I mean the true vision. Windows 10 will always keep getting updates as it is the last version of windows. But it's the full migration process, feature additions and optimization process that is currently under way. It is by no means for people who are used to being able to grab any app they want when they need it. You will not have the luxury of knowing that when some app is needed it will also be available on your phone. But if you're not a huge app user and stick to the basics you will not have any issues. I would see this phone more in line with productivity than anything else. You can usually find what you need with 3rd party apps for some of the more popular things.

Microsoft has an app called "Where's my app?" and basically it tries to find alternatives to popular apps. Though it's not that great. For instance the best tinder app is 6tin and if you search tinder it doesn't even show it. Same with reddit. The best one is readit (amazing app which I purchased) but it won't show up. So sometimes you need to do your own research. Appraisin is another pretty decent one for finding apps. It also shows new apps that come out and as well as updates apps are receiving.

So as you can see, the average user will not go out of their way to research which apps can give them an experience for a service. There's many great youtube alternatives. Some with great features like downloading the actual videos among other things.

W10 is gorgeous though. You can see some of the amazing start screens people have created. It's very customizable and lets you customize it to make you more efficient. If you liked android customization, this has a lot of stuff built right into the OS without needing 3rd party stuff. It's fun if you're into that sort of stuff. Live tiles make you more efficient. I don't really go into my weather app I just see right on my start what the weather is. And I use a pretty sweet grocery list app called "Sooner or later". This has a live tile that shows your list right on it. So when I go shopping I don't even open the app I just look at my start screen.

I spent over $1k canadian on my 950xl with 2 year warranty and I do not regret it at all. I could have bought a newer iphone but I just love windows OS. If you want to try it out, get the 640xl. It's dirt cheap if you live in the US. I hear of people saying they can get it for 30 bucks. Test it out, see how you like it. I never really even knew windows existed until I bought a cheap 520 for the hell of it. But I fell in love. And I can see why windows fans are so passionate about the OS and how they find it hard to abandon for others even though they get screwed over with apps.

But ever since Satya became CEO it seems apps are starting to come in. I really like him as a CEO and other CEOs like him too from what I read. I read Balmer apparently was hard to get along with and probably part of the reason partnerships never flourished. I feel bad for those that suffered through the years. More has happened with windows in the last while then I have ever seen in the past. I think people need to reset their view with the new CEO. Don't let the issues that the previous one had carry over to Satya. Give this guy a chance. He is different. And while some of the stuff he does seems unorthodox and almost like he's abandoning windows mobile, he's not. He's building on strengths MS already has. All the stuff that happens in the back with development tools and partnerships is going to help foster a better future for windows mobile. This will leave none-continuum devices behind no doubt as the future is about 1 device that does all your computing. But that doesn't mean none continuum devices will not have access to the ecosystem. And I think once people see the spring 2017 lineup, they will likely be willing to upgrade. Heck, I'll probably make another expensive purchase because it will be worth it. It's not like iphone upgrading some memory and making the device thinner. This will be bigger than that. And while it's a long time away, it will be worth it.

Sorry for the long post. I type really fast. People who see me typing are usually pretty impressed.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you are like most of general populous addicted to Youtube then you are really spoiled for choice with really great youtube clients out there. You can off course sync your google account on Wp8.1 via settings -> email and accounts -> add account -> Google.

If your after a cheap windows phone experience with the all bells and whistles, reside in the UK and not fussed about warranty - get a 930.

It's 80 - 90 on ebay and gumtree.

I got my L930 supposedly vodafone locked off ebay with warranty sub ?120.

It's in extremely good nick and for the price you definitely get the best value for your cold hard earned cash.

Right now It's charging so I can install WM10 (official) :).

L930.jpg

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I second the 930 option as well, It still is one of the better WP devices under the 950/950XL. If your on Verizon by chance, the Nokia ICON is the same phone just has CDMA in it for Verizon's network.

Both models can bet gotten for in the $100 range ($80-130) and very nice phones to see if you like WP...

the ICON does NOT have the official W10m upgrade available yet but, rumor mill says soon. Who knows ?

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Best advice? Make a list of apps you NEED. Try seeing if/how many alternatives you find(even by asking in this thread or forum) once you're satisfied get a 640/640xl or a second hand 930. Try the os out. Then if you like it you can be sure that your 950 purchase will make you happier (better camera faster processor continuum etc)

taette

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
hey thank you so much for these great suggestions. I live in germany and wanna buy the phone with a new contract of my provider. so I can get the phone for a really small price. I wanna make a list but for now the listed apps in my first post are the most important ones.

thank you so much for this input :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
hey thank you so much for these great suggestions. I live in germany and wanna buy the phone with a new contract of my provider. so I can get the phone for a really small price. I wanna make a list but for now the listed apps in my first post are the most important ones.

thank you so much for this input :)

If certain apps are a concern then you should try their Switch To app for Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.cxe.wpbackupclient.android&hl=en

Hopefully it will help clarify some things but the app hasn't been updated since last year so I can't say for certain how useful it is.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Best advice? Make a list of apps you NEED. Try seeing if/how many alternatives you find(even by asking in this thread or forum) once you're satisfied get a 640/640xl or a second hand 930. Try the os out. Then if you like it you can be sure that your 950 purchase will make you happier (better camera faster processor continuum etc)

That's great advice. That's what I did.

The Lumia 640 is a great phone to actually try the OS before moving to it, both on 8.1 and 10. Trying it is a capital move because reviews are useful but nothing is better than trying it out for yourself in real life situations.

Also, Microsoft does have a 30 days return policy (check in your country though). I bought the 650 and realized after the fact that it wasn't compatible with even 3G and up (even if my carrier told me it was for 4G and LTE). So I returned it and got a full refund in a matter of days.

Making a list of the apps you have on Android will also make you realize those you have but never use. When I moved to Android last year, I was happy to have one of my favourite newspaper apps... but I never opened it and found muself using the website more. So I can still do that with IE/Edge. Same with my banking app, their webapp is exactly the same (minus the check deposits with a picture which is a neat feature that I barely used anyway). In other words, it's a matter of not letting yourself be fooled by the shiny and making sure you have what you really need.

If you're a huge Google apps user, see if MS' services are good for you (Outlook, Office, OneDrive, Maps, etc.). You can still use some of the Google services with their webapp or 3rd party apps (some YouTube apps on WM are even better than the official apps on Android).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo