Had to abandon 950xl due to software issues, how is it Now?

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
About a month or so ago just gave up on W10P due to issues with BT, freezes and instability.
Not a large fan of Android, but it was more stable than what MS offered.
Have tried *218 on my Lumia 1520 and it seems stable.
Overall, can I use it for a daily driver in it's current form? Or do I have to wait?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would say it depends, everyone uses their phone differently.

I can give you anecdotal evidence about the 950XL running great (so much so that a friend is going to use to give a presentation using the display dock and power point) however that is anecdotal and it will not apply to everyone.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
How has your experience been so far?

Mixed.
Tried to transfer "large" amount of music [~60+ GB's] to 200 GB SD and phone kept re-booting.
changed to 128 SD, then it made nice. Either Phone or OS doesn't like that 200GB SD.
Applied for RMA but might just forgo if that's the extent of my problems.

Phone is like new. Happy with shape of the hardware.
Hopefully SD was cause of funky behavior.
We shall see.

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It runs amazing on .218. Stable, snappy and no bugs. I have tested a lot of different apps/features on it.

Now I'm on redstone because of the cool new features. And redstone is a different beast. Phone heats up a lot during some games, not hot but going from no warmth to warmth on the same stuff is obviously not cool(no pun intended). I also noticed that the heat seems to be worse if my sdcard is in. So I removed that and it runs less hot. I have a lot of stuff on my sdcard. It also freezes up sometimes on redstone. Apps run fine and all launch fine other than the known issue ones. battery drains insanely faster. And while all this is happening I'm dealing with it till the next build because the features are just great. If there's no new build by upcoming tuesday I'm going to go back to production. An amazing phone no doubt. Anyone who has issues on .218 needs to start fresh after a hard reset, no backup restore or anything. Keep in mind backup also backs up registry entries. And if they are causing issues they will be back to cause more issues.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
It runs amazing on .218. Stable, snappy and no bugs.

Connecting via USB to PC seems to initiate a re-boot.
update: Other first time items when used do the same thing.
Might be hardware, don't know.

Update 2: Another phone will be delivered tomorrow. With RMA: charged today refund when it's received.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'd love to pick up a Lumia 950 XL. I'm likely going to have to get a new phone in a few weeks and I'm definitely going to look very hard at getting the Lumia 950 XL. I won't be able to buy it outright but maybe I'll figure something out. I could get a Lumia 950 but I think the Lumia 950 XL is the better looking phone overall.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You are correct, I did mean the $30 640LTE. Amazing little phone, runs 10 well, not a bad camera. I have recommended to many folks who are carrying old phones. And it has tap to wake, running 10.

Ahmed Rami1

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
This is shaping up to be the best phone u Eger owned. With the last production build and apps updates I can confirm a stable battery and performance. Unbeatable camera even by the mighty s7. And adding the mozo case made it a head turner . With continuum and Xbox it is on a level by its own.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'd love to pick up a Lumia 950 XL. I'm likely going to have to get a new phone in a few weeks and I'm definitely going to look very hard at getting the Lumia 950 XL. I won't be able to buy it outright but maybe I'll figure something out. I could get a Lumia 950 but I think the Lumia 950 XL is the better looking phone overall.

I have 2 of each in my business. The 950 feels more comfortable in hand, and it feels very slim as well. Being a blind old so and so, the 950xl is a beast! The screen is most excellent, although if blessed with small hands, you may need finger extensions.

The 950's do well in the battery department, the 950xl doesn't seem to last as well, but still acceptable. I would probably preferred the 950, as it is more 'manageable', but having had note 3's before I jumped, the big screen made me feel at home.

Both are good, without a vast difference apart from a couple of cores in the CPU, liquid cooling (xl still gets toasty though) and size.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
This is shaping up to be the best phone u Eger owned. With the last production build and apps updates I can confirm a stable battery and performance. Unbeatable camera even by the mighty s7. And adding the mozo case made it a head turner . With continuum and Xbox it is on a level by its own.
Without the mozo, they look soooooo dull and uninspiring..... I have to agree about the camera. I went to WWE raw on Monday and, for those that know, they do like a splash of colour. Stills look amazing with crisp clean colours, and video was just as amazing, with the purples when Dolph Ziggler came out being very clean and crisp.

Never judge a book by their cover....

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
My recommendation for a new 950xl: First update firmware using WDRT. 2. setup using your MS acct. 3. Update all core apps (apps that directly affect function of the phone) in Windows store. 4. Update OS using Phone Update in Settings. I kept getting error message trying to do 4, but when I did 3 first, 4 worked with no errors. That's why I recommend that order. 5. Go to town with your installs, data migrating, and customizations. I love my 950xl. Runs great.

Ahmed Rami1

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Without the mozo, they look soooooo dull and uninspiring..... I have to agree about the camera. I went to WWE raw on Monday and, for those that know, they do like a splash of colour. Stills look amazing with crisp clean colours, and video was just as amazing, with the purples when Dolph Ziggler came out being very clean and crisp.

Never judge a book by their cover....
Couldn't agree more on the dull part. That's why I invested another 40$ :-\

But I can recomend the ghostek case. I got the red one on my black 950xl while waiting for MOZO, and it looks and feels awesome ... Around 15$ on ebay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo