Yay or Nay

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So I'm considering the 950xl. I currently have the 640xl but I'm a bit disappointed that ATT hasn't released there Windows 10 to it yet. My question is is the 950xl Windows 10 still buggy on the 950xl? I had the 640 with insiders Windows 10 on it. It worked great. I had hardly any bugs. But I bought the 640xl off of eBay and I've had all kinds of issues with it. So would it really be worth switching??

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
TL/DR: Yay

I bought the 950XL unlocked thru Microsoft in February. Have it on Insider Fast Ring and yes there are bugs and missing "features" but nothing deal-breaking for me. I use it as my daily driver. I wish it had the same build quality as the Lumia 930 which I still keep as a backup but otherwise the 950XL is a damn nice phone. I would never by a cellphone thru eBay.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I say YAY..heres why

the phone itself will be superior in every way hardware wise so you will def see an improvement over your other phones, just as long as you stay out of the fast ring and stay on the regular OS... then when redstone becomes more stable and we get more "kool stuff" (like a more robust contiunuum) included in there then the OS will catch up with the hardware... once that happens watch out! you will be thoroughly happy with it... I myself cant wait for that to happen *sigh*

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
May!(be)

My official 10 experience on the 640 has been a solid one punctuated with frustrating bugs on occasion. But if I can live with it, you probably can.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Most bugs have been removed as of now in the latest official build (10586.218). It looks like the consecutive builds are getting better and more stable so you can comfortably get the phone

shenn10

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 950xl the day after thanksgiving. I have the brown leather mozo case. Switched 3 lines from Verizon to ATT. Left my 928 behind and i am a very happy girl! 😊

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Your choice.

I was unhappy with my 950xl and returned it within a week so I wouldn't scratch the screen or something dumb that would cause me to be stuck with it. This was in November. I'm happy with my choice and really enjoyed some of the 950xl's experience. Even so, I couldn't spend so much money on something and then waste my time using work arounds (insider builds, 3rd party apps, VVM, Mozo cover, etc).

shenn10

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Why so unhappy you did not let us know why?
No insider builds for me. No problems. Unlocked and not beholden to any cell company. The phone is fast and the apps are fine for me. You have to get over the Apple and Samsung phones they are boring.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Why so unhappy you did not let us know why?
No insider builds for me. No problems. Unlocked and not beholden to any cell company. The phone is fast and the apps are fine for me. You have to get over the Apple and Samsung phones they are boring.

I don't understand the last sentence. My smart phone life has been Blackberry Pearl, HTC Incredible (android), HTC Trophy (WP7), Lumia 1520, Lumia 640, Lumia 950xl (day one BTW), and LGV10. As you can see by the long time use of Windows phone in the middle, I stuck with the brand for a long time. I even switched from Verizon to AT&T to get the 1520 (losing my unlimited grandfathered plan).

Among things that I was unhappy with back at the time of my purchase: the case had the creaking problem (very minor problem), Visual Voicemail was not included at the time (and only just recently brought in), the phone crashed a ton. The most notable crashing problem was when I would store anything on my SD card--this would cause the phone to endlessly reboot. The visual voicemail was a real pain for my work flow since I use my phone for business too. The endless reboot problem really just wore me out. I spent so many hours trying to fix it that I just gave up. I assume that a lot of these issues have been fixed since my return--but I wasn't just going to wait months for them to iron out. Also, another minor annoyance is that the outside layer of the screen scratches easily making a cover a must (similar to my L1520). I find it odd that my L640 did not need a screen protector.

After going to LGV10, I would have a hard time returning because of the quality and availability of apps. I chose the LGV10 because it was the phone on the market most in the spirit of what the Lumia brand used to be to me (excellent camera, sturdy/interesting build, and neat innovation). While any phone can have bugs, I have no problems with Android on this phone. I just got updated to Marshmallow without a hitch. If I had a problem during the return period, I was ready to return the phone and go with a Nexus, Samsung, iPhone, etc. Each and everyone of these can have problems, but I didn't have to go that far.

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I am a 950xl user and cant be happier. I am on .218 public release, and I think that is the trick. This is my daily driver, so I didn't want to experiment. The latest release seems stable and has everything I usually need.

Continuum seems much more stable now, I use it at home instead of my laptop now - no problems. Haven't had any crashing apps for a while, and the phone is still quick. The camera is stunning and battery life is great unless you hammer the phone (3d games, edge with multiple tabs running scripts etc).

Each to their own I suppose, so whilst I am sure some dislike the 950xl, I am not one of them.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Now that my text messages have magically reappeared I'm saying Yea. On build 218 I basically don't run into bugs, and having put most of my music and photos on the main storage things work OK. Cortana still has no clue about music on my SD card, and the photos tile still doesn't display photos from my SD card, but otherwise it works very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo