Buy 950 XL, get 950 free promo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I understand that people are worried about the state of windows phone and that something like this is a big sign that its not going well but both these phones are great and if you are content with the core apps and the amazing camera as it is right now then this is a great deal and its not worth worry about dammit! :)

Classicsmiley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the deal + trade-in at a physical store today? A friend and I were planning on making the hour+ trip to the nearest store, but when he called first to verify the deal, he was told that the stores have stopped processing the trades in conjunction with the BOGO. Can anyone else confirm?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A reminder:

[WARN]Since there is no buying/selling outside of Marketplace, we have actually set up special threads in Deals forum for finding partners on this offer. Thanks to RayaanP for the inspiration

Please use those threads only. They are the only place allowed to negotiate on this.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...lumia-bogo-950xl-950-find-partner-thread.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...lumia-bogo-950xl-950-find-partner-thread.html[/WARN]

xPutNameHerex

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Will these phones work on Verizon? I currently have a Nexus 5X on Verizon so I know such "unapproved phone" magic can be done, if you what you are doing (and have the nano-Sim card).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Will these phones work on Verizon? I currently have a Nexus 5X on Verizon so I know such "unapproved phone" magic can be done, if you what you are doing (and have the nano-Sim card).
No, the 950/XL do not have activated CDMA radios. I posted this in another thread:

There are a few factory unlocked phones that work on Verizon. Here is the list:

1. iPhone 6/6+
  2. iPhone 6S/6S+
  3. Nexus 6
  4. Nexus 6P
  5. Nexus 5X
  6. Motorola Moto X 2015 Pure Edition
  7. iPhone SE
As far as I know this is all of them. If there are any others I am not aware of them. Apart from the devices here, you need to have a Verizon branded phone to work on Verizon.

Also, any of these phones that are carrier branded will work on Verizon if they are SIM unlocked. For example, you can get an iPhone 6S from AT&T and use it on Verizon as long as you get the unlock code from AT&T.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This is oft claimed but never with any substantiating evidence, are there any links to confirm this? Carriers obviously do this to attract new contract customers but I don't recall Apple or Samsung doing this with handsets at full price directly from their sales channels.

I was going to post a comment like this. The carriers had the iPhone and S7 BOGO deals to sell new lines, which for them is where the money is. Microsoft is simply dumping phones.

A simple Google search will reveal the evidence. Microsoft's phones (save for the 950 on AT&T) aren't being sold through the carriers, so how would their BOGO deal be done through them? And vice-versa, why would Samsung and Apple use official channels when the vast majority of their phones are moved through US carriers?

The carriers are all over the S7 Edge and iPhone. Yes, they make money from new lines, but that doesn't mean they can just give away brand new flagship phones for free all the time. If that were the case, why don't they do that with every new flagship that's released?

Every single carrier was on board with this S7/S7 Edge deal. That's not coincidence. Samsung is directly involved, and uncoincidentally had a rough previous quarter.

Also, you didn't have to activate a new line with most of the deals. Customers already on these networks were taking advantage of these deals.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A simple Google search will reveal the evidence. Microsoft's phones (save for the 950 on AT&T) aren't being sold through the carriers, so how would their BOGO deal be done through them? And vice-versa, why would Samsung and Apple use official channels when the vast majority of their phones are moved through US carriers?

The carriers are all over the S7 Edge and iPhone. Yes, they make money from new lines, but that doesn't mean they can just give away brand new flagship phones for free all the time. If that were the case, why don't they do that with every new flagship that's released?

Every single carrier was on board with this S7/S7 Edge deal. That's not coincidence. Samsung is directly involved, and uncoincidentally had a rough previous quarter.

Also, you didn't have to activate a new line with most of the deals. Customers already on these networks were taking advantage of these deals.

Did you read the fine print? I read Verizon's, and I would guess the other carriers' are similar. You need to either open 2 new lines, or add one to your existing plan. The phones need to be set up on payments, and the line must remain active for at least 6 months. It wasn't just Samsung either. Verizon had a deal kind of like that for certain Droid models. I believe the iPhone has been involved too.

These deals are not anything like Microsoft's. The carriers are out to sell services; Microsoft is out to jettison devices.

ronharding

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I went for it in Toronto Canada. Bought the 950XL and got the 950 free. Went home and took the sims out of out two Lumia 830s and we are good to go. Didn't need to get my carrier involved.

Love these phones. Now I will be able to wait for the Surface phone, or maybe the Surface phone 2!

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
You may want to try again. I traded in my 925 and got the 2 for 1 from the MS Store tonight.

Yes, it gave me the $150 off for the trade in. But it will not let you combine any discount like the military one with it

You can definitely combine the trade-in promo with the BOGO. Before the BOGO was offered I sent in my 1020 for the $150 credit. So I waited to get the credit an tried using it to get the 950XL + 950, and sure enough, the trade-in credit was applied and my phones are getting delivered tomorrow.

Side note: the MS store changed both phones to "back ordered" in my order history right after the order was placed, but they both shipped the next day.

Just spent about an hour chatting with MS Store. Was told TODAY that I could have received the $150 trade in discount with the BOGO. The day AFTER I placed my order. She also confirmed that I could NOT receive the 10% .EDU discount, despite being shown where multiple people on here DID get it.

I'm going to call the Orlando store in the morning. I may be going for a drive, if I can get the trade-in deal. That'll get me my phone quicker, and save me some money. Just wish they were consistent with how they apply the discounts, and would give the straight answer the first time. :angry:

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Are others seeing where you cannot add the extra device protection in the MS online store? I was told I could add at a actual store, but like a 5-6hr hike...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Did you read the fine print? I read Verizon's, and I would guess the other carriers' are similar. You need to either open 2 new lines, or add one to your existing plan. The phones need to be set up on payments, and the line must remain active for at least 6 months. It wasn't just Samsung either. Verizon had a deal kind of like that for certain Droid models. I believe the iPhone has been involved too.

These deals are not anything like Microsoft's. The carriers are out to sell services; Microsoft is out to jettison devices.

Aptly demonstrated in Sprint's current deal:

sprint bogo.jpg

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Disregard... Was told they are not offered through the online store anymore & have to be purchased in an actual store. That blows. Closest to me is a 5-6hr drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs