Lumia 950XL Wifi Issues

neJANIS

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
So I bought My Lumia 950XL few days after it was released back in December. From day one it had Wi-Fi issues (although at beginning it happened only once a week or so, and since OS was buggy as whole, I didn?t pay as much intention to it). While connected to Wi-Fi, phone suddenly just dropped connection and couldn't connect to this or any other Wi-Fi network (because it just didn't find any - No Connections available, although there were plenty), only restart could fix this matter, however in time (it could be hours or it could be days) same problem reoccurred again and again.
In late January I bought phone to service for the first time, after a week it was returned - service said that there are no problems with this phone whatsoever. In the same day problem reoccurred, this time I shot few videos to prove that there is something wrong with phone and two weeks later brought phone to service once again. In two weeks service was complete - this time they acknowledged that phone was faulty and had changed the system board. Ok, so things should be fine now, eh? Not really - next morning first thing I notice on the phone - No Connections Available...right! So in the same day I went back to service centre and asked for refund - apparently they don't give those anymore, but offered a new phone in exchange - same Lumia 950XL or any other phone in same price range or lower (S6, iPhone SE, Mate 8S etc.). As all of those phone were cheaper, I choose to get a new Lumia 950XL. This time I didn?t even use it - I turned it on, connected to Wifi to see if this time I can finally use this goddomn phone. No such luck - while for 5 days or so, everything was normal, this morning same error once again - No Connections Available. Well, isn't that just great?
So anyone else experienced this problem? I read topics back in December were people had the same issue, but apparently it was OS bug. So if it was, then why 5 months later, after plenty of updates, it is still there? If Microsoft knew that this is software bug and not a faulty hardware - why did they change the system board (Apparently second time phone was changed by store itself, not Microsoft) knowing that it won't fix anything? If this is because of faulty hardware - how it possible that it happens with 3 phones in a row?
As for the Wi-Fi - problem occurred in different places with different connections and no issues were ever noticed with other phones / tablets / notebooks with those Wi-Fi networks.

jbedoya

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue. I have to reboot to get it working again. Have not found a definitive solution yet.

will try today the windows recovery tool, but I found somethin weird on the versions, although I am not on the Beta/Insiders on this phone
Current:
Firmware: 01078.00038.16025.39005
OS Version: 10586.13248

Proposed "update"
Firmware: 01078.00038.16082.36005
OS Version: 10586.13080

So although the firm ware seems to be a higher/newer version, the OS is not

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue. I have to reboot to get it working again. Have not found a definitive solution yet.

will try today the windows recovery tool, but I found somethin weird on the versions, although I am not on the Beta/Insiders on this phone
Current:
Firmware: 01078.00038.16025.39005
OS Version: 10586.13248

Proposed "update"
Firmware: 01078.00038.16082.36005
OS Version: 10586.13080

So although the firm ware seems to be a higher/newer version, the OS is not

Right, because you're seeing the "cumulative" firmware rollup, which doesn't have any new features, that your firmware revision doesn't already have.
In terms of the OS that WDRT is going to "revert" to, yep, it's older, and then you'll probably end up installing newer OS to get back to your current build.
That's the nature of the tool, known-good build, basically.

It's pretty likely that there will be an OTA firmware update soon (it's already happening outside of the US, in certain model SKUs), and if I were you, I'd hold out a few days for that first (possibly 7/12, but not a given), before doing another reset, unless your phone has become mostly un-usable.
OTA is nice, because it doesn't revert everything else in the process.

Try switching on/off airplane mode, a few times, when your WiFi drops, and see if this helps. There's definitely a bug here, and I see it, very rarely though, it's probably a combination of your phone and your most-used router.
If you're seeing this primarily on 5.8, then that's definitely the issue that myself and others see from time-to-time...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
There you go, I knew I should've read a bit more before finishing my post, thanks for clarifying.
Now we're all trying to be patient, very patient, hmm... ;-]
Wish I'd never had DTTW, that ruined me going forward. I refuse to get a tablet that doesn't have it now. When I bought my 950XL, the word was that it was coming very soon, but I guess this is "just soon enough".
I can't wait to see the whole slew of "DTTW is killing my battery" posts though;hopefully not! It did fine on my last two Windows phones, the battery was a non-issue in terms of the feature.

jbedoya

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I do not think is the router. This (950XL) is the only device is failing to see my home networks. and I have tried 3 different routers
  • Motorola(ATT Router)
  • Asus (AC)
  • Almond (AC)
All my other devices (Including Kindle and Alexa and other IoT devices) find consistently any of the routers I tried. They even see my neighbor's (Lynksys), but the 950XL, see them for 2-4 days before I need to reboot the phone it to get it see them again.

I guess we may need to have a dedicated CTRL-ALT-DEL key on the Lumia 950XL while we wait for the Fix that may come sometime on the future

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I do not think is the router. This (950XL) is the only device is failing to see my home networks. and I have tried 3 different routers
[/LIST]
All my other devices (Including Kindle and Alexa and other IoT devices) find consistently any of the routers I tried. They even see my neighbor's (Lynksys), but the 950XL, see them for 2-4 days before I need to reboot the phone it to get it see them again.

I guess we may need to have a dedicated CTRL-ALT-DEL key on the Lumia 950XL while we wait for the Fix that may come sometime on the future

Yeah, I have REALLY good WiFi at home, a couple of UniFi AP units (sort of prosumer/professional). I still have a "problem" device, that sometimes fails hand-off (between the APs), which worked almost flawlessly with my previous router/AP setup (it supported fast handoff, which apparently the one Kindle liked). We even have a second Kindle that works great, same generation, slightly different WiFi chipset rev, go figure.
I agree though, the more likely culprit is your phone, and it's very likely that the upgraded firmware will fix all, or very close, of these drops.

Have you tried the Airplane-mode trick, when it does drop? When my 950XL went through a bad-build, this happened to me a LOT, but Airplane mode fixed it, almost every time, without having to power-cycle the phone, much handier.

jbedoya

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Airplane mode have not fixed for me.
I have tried Airplane mode on-off, wifi on-off, Bluetooth On-Off and combinations of them and nothing bring it back except Reboot.

I finished the restore process using the tool and it then push an OTA update, will monitor for the next few days

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Airplane mode have not fixed for me.
I have tried Airplane mode on-off, wifi on-off, Bluetooth On-Off and combinations of them and nothing bring it back except Reboot.

I finished the restore process using the tool and it then push an OTA update, will monitor for the next few days

Have you looked at your router or AP logs, from when it drops? This might be revealing as well.

It sounds like you did a hard-reset though, which has a decent probability of reducing your frequency of the issue, if it was due to corruption or similar.
I agree, the OTA sure sounds promising in this area; there's that specific line-item for this issue, or what sounds like it anyway.

jbedoya

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This thing is broken. SO much that is not even related to my home networtk, once it gets into the state of the problem (not finding my wifi network), it does not find ANY network, Not my neighbor's, not the Starbucks', not ATT's Hotspots... nothing, not even my office's or the airport's Wifi.

this is not related to the routers, is related to the Phone, and recovering the phone using the Microsoft recovery tool did not work either It actually pulled me down my Firmware (01078.00038.16025.39005) to an different version (01078.00038.16082.36005), which does not fix the issue anyway.

Any other suggestion to try?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The newest firmware has fixes for WiFi issues, double tap to wake, Bluetooth and several other things.

It's not available yet for the North America 950XL. Be patient or check out the "you can have it now" thread if you're extremely brave.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
The WiFi issue you are experiencing really cannot a device-wide problem as I do not have it. Perhaps it is a hardware issue with your phone.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The WiFi issue you are experiencing really cannot a device-wide problem as I do not have it. Perhaps it is a hardware issue with your phone.

No, many of us have the same issue, my 950 XL suffers from the WiFi no internet connection bug as well. (and go on the Microsoft community site and you'll find a sea of complaints).

I'm guessing it has something to do with DHCP and certain routers (or more likely their chipsets). Look at the info on the connection and you'll usually find the IP is self-assigned and the gateway and DNS server address IP's are messed up. The odd thing is mine was fine until I a few builds ago on the Fast Ring, then it started happening.

A similar thing was happening on the desktop Windows 10 Fast Ring builds as well, though there you could get around it by assigning a static IP address on the PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon