I am currently using a Lumia 930. I love the windows 10 os and I enjoy being an insider. It's time to upgrade. Do I move onto another windows phone or should I jump ship to android? I have faith that windows on mobile is going to improve but will it ever be better than it's competitors? Thoughts please?
    04-27-2016 02:59 PM
    I am currently using a Lumia 930. I love the windows 10 os and I enjoy being an insider. It's time to upgrade. Do I move onto another windows phone or should I jump ship to android? I have faith that windows on mobile is going to improve but will it ever be better than it's competitors? Thoughts please?
    If you already love Windows 10, I see no reason for you to go to Android.

Imho Windows 10 is already better than the competing platforms since it works better than Android (for me) and isn't as limited hardware-wise as Ios.

I went from the 920 to the 950XL and I haven't regretted my choice one second. In Sweden the XL also has higher customer satisfaction scores than the Galaxy S7 which everybody seems to say is good.
    Sean Davies likes this.
    04-27-2016 03:18 PM
    I'll be as honest as I can in my reply. I own 2 x 950xl. I have a black and a white one.

The 930, which I also have, is a great device, and still, in my opinion, a great phone, if you forgive the terrible battery life.

Back to the 950xl. These are very well spec'd devices, and they perform admirably on the TH2 software. My only real gripe is that they look bland and are very plasticy. On the threshold OS, 10586.XX they are very smooth and pretty snappy. They do warm up somewhat, and you wonder if the so called 'liquid cooling' is a gimmick, but I guess it does draw it away from the CPU. In hand, they do take some getting used to as they, to me, are quite slippery. A case or a Mozo back soon sorts that out though. I love mine and they are used in a business environment with battery consumption being acceptable. I've had no real issues with crashes, lock up or plain unresponsiveness. Even Continuum works great on mine.

The BIGGEST issue with the 950xl, isn't the phones problem. It's the software. The device is so underused. It's like its out for a Sunday stroll! The new redstone OS, due end of July(ish) makes much better use off the device. On the preview software, it's like lightening, and thats where it will come to life.

As for recommendations, I couldn't advise either way. The decision would have to be yours. All OS's have there own quirks, failings and positives. I left android for windows, and I'm not going back. One little piece of advice, learnt from personal experience, I wouldn't buy a top end android phone again. The update cycle for some of them stop pretty abruptly after 12 - 18 months, and the way in which anti tamper measures are being introduced, rooting and custom rom choices are reducing.

Best of luck, and whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it.
    Sean Davies and aximtreo like this.
    04-27-2016 03:24 PM
    Up until two weeks back I had a 1520, which I loved. Then it developed an issue that couldn't be repaired and I was offered a 950XL under warranty, which I accepted. Improvements over the 1520 are the camera (which is brilliant), it's faster and the screen appears slightly sharper. Not so hot is the very average build quality, average battery life and coming from the 1520 the smaller screen. Compared to the 1520 the 950XL feels like a bit of a toy. On my phone the back actually creaks when I hold it. Not what you expect from a supposed high end phone.
    But my biggest issue remains lack of apps and the quality of some of the mainstream apps available. I had to haul out my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2 while my 1520 was in the repair shop, and it was a salutary reminder of just how poor the Win Mobile app offering is. And even though Win Mobile 10 is now long beyond the "testing" phase I am still not entirely convinced how robust or coherent it is compared to Android.
    Even so, I doggedly continue to use the 950 as my daily driver simply because I am eager to see how the OS develops - hopefully along with the app offerings. Amazing possibilities if MS persevere with Mobile.
    Sean Davies likes this.
    04-27-2016 03:39 PM
    Mad cabbie is the 950xl battery life much better than the 930? I think that's the only thing i dislike about this phone. I assumed all w10m devices would be all bad on battery.
    04-27-2016 05:15 PM
    You'll be waiting at LEAST a year. My guess is a little more. If you're cool with that, wait. If that's too long, don't think you can go very wrong getting a 950 or 950 XL today. You should be able to enjoy a snappy, premium W10M experience for a good amount of time with the current specs.
    04-27-2016 11:50 PM
    I'm using a Lumia 1520 and with the sale right now I believe upgrading is a good decision. Considering the next flagship won't be out until a year still.
    04-28-2016 12:10 AM
    If you aren't in dire need of a new phone, I would wait until Redstone comes out, at least, which means late July or August. Not only is W10 supposed to be better, but awesome phones are supposed to be out, like the HP Elite x3 and the Acer phone (forgot the name of it since I'm more interested in the HP). The only thing is they will probably be really expensive, plus add on the cost of their cool accessories. On the other hand, the BOGO free deal from Microsoft Store until May 1 is a really tempting offer if you want a 950xl and a 950 for the cost of one 950xl.

Funny and sad story, I already have a 950xl from B&h. I'm still within 30 day return period so I wanted the BOGO deal from MS. I put in a request for an Return with B&h, and wouldn't you know it, they are totally shut down until next week for Passover. Sigh. Sometimes you can't win. But I do love my 950xl.
    04-28-2016 09:04 AM