My trip from iOS (iPhone 6s) to Windows 10 (Lumia 950 XL).

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
So, it was actually eons ahead of the iPhone.

Let's be real here. I am a Windows phone user currently (and Palm at the time of the iPhone release). Even if the iPhone was missing basing things (copy/paste) and not as complete feature wise, its interface was revolutionary, and this is what make it an instant hit and so successful.

Let's not have bad faith, the iPhone was something like nothing else in the mobile phone landscape and nothing compared at that time.

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, that is right. Google Map is the best map app ever, no denial here. And it seems that Microsoft announced putting back compass in the Bing Map this summer as in Here Map (this is a must).
So I agree with you on the points you made (Cortana crashing sometimes also).

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's be real here. I am a Windows phone user currently (and Palm at the time of the iPhone release). Even if the iPhone was missing basing things (copy/paste) and not as complete feature wise, its interface was revolutionary, and this is what make it an instant hit and so successful.

Let's not have bad faith, the iPhone was something like nothing else in the mobile phone landscape and nothing compared at that time.

Sure, it was "like nothing else in the mobile landscape," but there's been plenty of that over the years. Doesn't mean it's better necessarily. It had a touchscreen. Cool. The N95 feature set was like nothing the mobile landscape has scene before either. The point is the N95 did an insane amount more than the iPhone 2G and it wasn't even close. Nokia, unfortunately, put all of 0 effort into marketing it as it thought having the superior product alone was enough.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
then my question is what does the hundred of insiders then if can not even help to solve the problems before an release appears, everyones likes point to MSFT t must recall that is an beta testers programm called insider programm if them ct even point the stinky HDRproblem that have not been solved then is not time to stop insider programm because is an waste of resources and have not solved any trouble?

mark McWilliams

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
then my question is what does the hundred of insiders then if can not even help to solve the problems before an release appears, everyones likes point to MSFT t must recall that is an beta testers programm called insider programm if them ct even point the stinky HDRproblem that have not been solved then is not time to stop insider programm because is an waste of resources and have not solved any trouble?

What in the hell are you saying,I can't understand anything you just said man

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the 14295.1005 build and the phone has settled pretty good for me.
Some of the preview builds got pretty rough.

I've never really had MMS problems. That part always seemed to work good.

I do have an iPhone I carry for work and I'm no fan of that OS. It kinda sucks I think.

Today I kept asking Siri for a business and it kept giving me the one in the wrong city over and over and over.
I needed to make the call from the work phone so I kept trying. no luck.
I had to grab my 950XL and ask Cortana which game me the one for the city I was asking for and then manually type the phone number into the iPhone to call it. :-/

Siri has not been dependable for looking up businesses. I think it was meant to be a toy rather than a tool.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows Mobile is not for everyone specially if someone is a woman/girl. First, most women uses the iphones FF camera for their makeup now so the 950/950XL ff is not on par with the iphones ff camera. Then there is the apps. I really think Microsoft should bring their A game to the mobile to turn it around. Its never to late... the issue is always giving up.

My friend and I went to Korea and Japan last month and she lost her iPhone on the very first day of the trip, meaning she was forced to use my 950xl as a first time windows phone user. Her thoughts on the phone, while using it 2 straight weeks: "It was a useless POS. Your NEW PHONE shouldn't have all these problems!" I don't think I convinced her to switch to Windows

Ben Wolgus

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This is obviously not the typical experience. While Windows phone is not perfect I have rarely experienced the issues you are having on my 950 XL.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I think he's trying to say "What's the point of the insider program if the bugs still get through when the final product is released".

MSFT screwed up big time. Win 10 mobile was nowhere near ready in November 2015. They rushed it out the door to hit Xmas 2015, and totally screwed over their fan base (early adopters) with crappy software. They should have made the phones dirt cheap for the pain we were about to endure. I have been a huge MSFT ****** for over 20 years, but I am losing faith.

I really wonder how many developers they have on the Win 10 Mobile code. I am guessing less than 20, which is pretty scary. If they have more than 20, then they are really bad developers as they hardly make progress with each build.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
If you got the device today, I suggest you wait a couple of days. It needs some time to "settle in". Yes I know this is weird, but it's a fact.

It's not weird per se, it's just not warned about. I bought a 650 a week or so ago and it took a couple of days to get all the apps updated to latest versions. Same thing when my wife got a 950. If you try to use an app while its updating, it crashes. I'm pretty certain that's (iMessage issues aside) what happened in this person's case.

This definitely needs to be handled in a much more consumer friendly manner by Microsoft.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
All,

You guys are discouraging me from even trying the Lumia 950. I'd been anxious to replace my aging iPhone 5s with something with a better camera, dedicated camera button, and the advantages of the Windows OS but, after reading this thread, I think I'll wait. I need reliability not an IT project. :unhappysweat:

Best,

Bill

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Sir,
As a user of a windows 10 device myself and a buyer of another windows 10 device for my wife, I can assure that it is nothing like a IT project. You can simply go to the store, pick up the phone, the store guy (or girl) will help you with initial steps of inserting your sim and SD card. In case you don't want to do it, you may even ask them about 'transfer my data' which will transfer your contacts and other relevant data, including SMS etc. onto your new phone. Just bring it home. Put it on charging, connect it to your wi-fi and let it do its bit in terms of OS and app updates. Only thing oyu need to do from your end is to log-in to Microsoft account for store and people hub, log in to Facebook, linkedin, iTunes, google accounts and link them to the people hub. select the outlook app and log in to your mail accounts. You may have to wait for a while as most apps will receive an update, but once you are through will all log-ins, just sit back, relax and enjoy.
Windows 10 is a treat to use and I simply love it. I have never face ANY issue highlighted in this forum. My only grudge is with groove music, but there are other far better options for that on the store.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Sir,
As a user of a windows 10 device myself and a buyer of another windows 10 device for my wife, I can assure that it is nothing like a IT project. You can simply go to the store, pick up the phone, the store guy (or girl) will help you with initial steps of inserting your sim and SD card. you may even ask them about 'transfer my data' which will transfer your contacts and other relevant data, including SMS etc. onto your new phone (In case you don't want to do it yourself). Just bring the phone home. Put it on charging, connect it to your wi-fi and let it do its bit in terms of OS and app updates. Only thing you will need to do is to log-in to Microsoft account for store and people hub, log in to Facebook, LinkedIn, iTunes, Google etc. accounts and link them to the people hub. Select the outlook app and log in to your mail accounts. You may have to wait for a while as most apps will receive an update, but once you are through will all log-ins, just sit back, relax and enjoy.
Windows 10 is a treat to use and I simply love it. I have never face ANY issue highlighted in this forum. My only grudge is with groove music, but there are other far better options for that on the store.

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
All,

You guys are discouraging me from even trying the Lumia 950. I'd been anxious to replace my aging iPhone 5s with something with a better camera, dedicated camera button, and the advantages of the Windows OS but, after reading this thread, I think I'll wait. I need reliability not an IT project. :unhappysweat:

Best,

Bill

My mother and father are in their 60s... they are not tech people at all, and they love Windows on mobile so much that they refuse to switch to anything else, even after I suggested a Galaxy S7 simply because a few more apps they may find useful. If they can use W10M, anyone can. They're now on Lumia 950 XLs.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Just to add that even my mom in her mid 60s is using windows phone. She is unsure of even the ways to switch on/off wi-fi or mobile data on the phone. But she loves her phone and is able to perform her everyday tasks (talking, texting, whatsapp, FB and most important taking and sharing photos and videos) very comfortably. She needed a phone that is easy to use, sturdy and which does not fail her at any time.
Its been two years on windows and her phone never failed her, not even once.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
All,

Best,

Bill

May I point out that most everyone that has a bad experience are the ones most likely to post a negative about MS or whatever product they have. I would think that most WP 10 and the 950 series of phones are happy with their product. I own a 950 xl and I love it. I also own a Nexus 6. I have more problems with the Nexus phone than the 950xl. Keep in mind that there are quite a few happy users of the 950 series. Give it a try. I'm sure MS would like to entice you and I think you would be surprised how good these phones and OS are.

raw464

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
2013 is when I gave him my windows phone and let me tell you I have not had any regrets since. Microsoft has thoroughly disappointed me with their product. It is useless and now that I hear there are issues with this new phone and software it makes me think they should just stop all together. This is a consumer product and I should not have to troubleshoot right out of the box to figure out why something isn't working. I think anyone who jumps from IOS to windows phone is a fool asking for trouble. And its about time they stop with this exclusive carrier garbage. If I cannot find the phone I want on my carrier's network I'm not interested period!!! And if I cannot find the apps I want especially is a really big deal now at this stage. In other words if IOS and Android have what you would need why deal with anything else and become disappointed.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Thanks to all who've responded. I'm interest in the Windows ecosystem, because it seems to be on the verge of giving us phones, tablets, and computers that will run Windows applications. It can do that now for 85% of users without vertical market software needs. I'd like to be able to travel with my phone and be able the read and edit AutoCAD drawings and run floodplain modeling software. It would sure be handy to be able to use Continuum for that on the road. Neither Microsoft nor Apple are there yet. If Microsoft were to introduce an x86 Surface Phone, I'd be standing in line. For now I'll lurk using my Apple devices......

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo