My trip from iOS (iPhone 6s) to Windows 10 (Lumia 950 XL).

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
May I point out that most everyone that has a bad experience are the ones most likely to post a negative about MS or whatever product they have. I would think that most WP 10 and the 950 series of phones are happy with their product. I own a 950 xl and I love it. I also own a Nexus 6. I have more problems with the Nexus phone than the 950xl. Keep in mind that there are quite a few happy users of the 950 series. Give it a try. I'm sure MS would like to entice you and I think you would be surprised how good these phones and OS are.

^ This is something most people don't realize. If you're in a forum about ANY kind of tech (phone, laptop, tablet, etc.), there are more people asking for help for whatever problem than people just posting something positive because people don't have a NEED to say something positive unless they simply feel like it vs they NEED to reach out for a problem they don't know how to solve. I'm a long time user/visitor of windows central, but did not start posting more until recently. Though windows 10 (and the old windows phone) has its issues such as the app gap, OVERALL I prefer it over iphone and android for various reasons. IF windows 10 mobile were to tank, I'd probably go towards android. I have to use an iphone for work and it's not a bad phone, but still prefer windows 10 mobile.

Honestly, use whatever phone/OS fits your needs. If I was so heavily dependent on apps such as snapchat or certain banking apps or if certain things REALLY bothered me, then I would probably just switch.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
2013 is when I gave him my windows phone and let me tell you I have not had any regrets since. Microsoft has thoroughly disappointed me with their product. It is useless and now that I hear there are issues with this new phone and software it makes me think they should just stop all together. This is a consumer product and I should not have to troubleshoot right out of the box to figure out why something isn't working. I think anyone who jumps from IOS to windows phone is a fool asking for trouble. And its about time they stop with this exclusive carrier garbage. If I cannot find the phone I want on my carrier's network I'm not interested period!!! And if I cannot find the apps I want especially is a really big deal now at this stage. In other words if IOS and Android have what you would need why deal with anything else and become disappointed.

If you're not happy with the experience, then that's fine. I'd probably be unhappy on iphone or android even with more available apps. As I mentioned before, choose the OS/phone that fits your needs best. However, don't pretend that iphone or android is bug-free or that they don't have their issues right out of the box. Re the exclusive carrier issue, certainly there are issues on both sides (carriers and microsoft) but it doesn't help that for the most part the carriers basically shun windows phone/windows 10 mobile, it wastes more money than anything. And I get it, it's about money and android/iphones are the more popular ones that will make the carriers money. BUT, that also comes along with biases where store reps will go as far as to dissuade people from even purchasing windows 10 mobile phones or just talk bad about them in general.

raw464

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not naive I did not say android or ios doesn't have bugs in them. But Microsoft has made their phone too difficult to rely on and as a person who works in IT the phone is useles if I cannot use the apps I need for work such as (Landesk, cisco, VPN clients, etc. ) Also whatever reason it is that the phone does not make it to all carriers or there is some kind of "discrimination" from sales people is not my problem all I know is when I look into my carrier to see what phones are available most likely they are not windows phones.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not naive I did not say android or ios doesn't have bugs in them. But Microsoft has made their phone too difficult to rely on and as a person who works in IT the phone is useles if I cannot use the apps I need for work such as (Landesk, cisco, VPN clients, etc. ) Also whatever reason it is that the phone does not make it to all carriers or there is some kind of "discrimination" from sales people is not my problem all I know is when I look into my carrier to see what phones are available most likely they are not windows phones.

I know you didn't say that, but you seemed to imply it, so I may have misunderstood. Yup, that's why I was saying if you really need certain apps then yeah it makes sense to use a different OS. I didn't say the issues with carriers is your problem, but the way you worded what you said made it seem like you were putting it all on microsoft and I'm pointing out it's not a one-sided problem. I'm just putting things in a more macro-perspective.

raw464

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
That's fine but like I said we are consumers so we shouldn't have to figure out why the phone is or is not on my carrier I really do not care what the reason is all I know it is not there and if it is there it is useless. And this technology is not new anymore so they should either make a device that works for everyone and every carrier or not at all.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Fine, you have made your point. WM is not for you. Now get what works for you an move on. By the way, come back here after you get your new toy and let us know that it doesn't have any problems and you are as happy as a pig in mud. You are an IT buy; use what's best for you.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I agree with some of your points but why bother creating an account to just log in here and complain? Like real said, get a phone that works for you and go with it.

I have owned all 3 on 2 year contracts and WP was my favorite. I could just do more quicker with it. And when I got a 920 3 years ago I thought WP had turned a corner. Some great phones coming out and I was happy with WP OS. But when my contract expired WP had gone ridiculously backward. Hell, it was like MS was doing everything they could to lose the market. And then I also had the issue of no WP phones on Sprint, so not much choice for me.

And I can't stand iPhones anymore. Hated my iPhone 4 and it had plenty o' problems. I personally thought the OS stagnated - it was a glorified app launcher that looks like an iPod touch from 2007. But you don't see me logging into an an iPhone forum and complaining about it for the heck of it.

So now I own a Note 3 and in the next few months if I don't hear any news of the Elite 3 or a WP worth my wait I'll get a newer Android and install Launcher 8 like I have on my Note so I can at least feel like I'm using WP. But if I do get an Android again it would take a miracle for me to go back to WP. Apparently they don't want my money.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's fine but like I said we are consumers so we shouldn't have to figure out why the phone is or is not on my carrier I really do not care what the reason is all I know it is not there and if it is there it is useless. And this technology is not new anymore so they should either make a device that works for everyone and every carrier or not at all.

I get your point and I'm just adding on to it, but I'm ok with agreeing to disagree haha

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
People need to stop defending WP it's a mess and not an isolated incident. I posted this one before and it was pretty much what I saw when I had a 950XL:
You can start at 7:35 to skip the fluff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zbsvN-dNDs

They aren't using the phone right. I bet they didn't do a hard reset on the device when they opened the box. There's a lot of things Windows fans do even subconsciously at this point to make Windows Mobile more user friendly.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
People need to stop defending WP it's a mess and not an isolated incident. I posted this one before and it was pretty much what I saw when I had a 950XL:
You can start at 7:35 to skip the fluff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zbsvN-dNDs

I don't get the negative comments. I love my 950 XL. Have had it since March. It's solid, fast, has all the software I need and much more. It's a great personal and business tool. And having the same OS on my desktop, laptop, tablets and phone is a huge plus. Commonality, integration are essential in business.

amoodie

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
You got a bad phone. And that happens to ALL phone manufacturers. I've heard stories of people who bought defective iPhones from Apple tech people. It happens. It's no big deal. Return the phone and get a new one, and at least get a chance to experience the phone the way it was meant to be.

I have a 950XL and it works just fine. None of the problems you've had.

I've also had a Note 4 and it was buggy as hell. That's why I came back to WP 10. It's been solid from the day I bought it.

Last edited:

shibiyi

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello every one. I have been a windows phone for three years now. My list of phones are the Lumia 520, HTC 8X, Lumia 1020 and now Lumia 640xl. I love them all and I have the apps that I feel and think I need. I am getting tired of the lack of internal storage on my phone. 8GB is quite small. I want to upgrade to Lumia 950xl or should I wait till end of 2017 to get the surface phones? Someone should pls advise.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Went from 950XL to "old" 6 Plus. Opposite experience from OP. Everything just works beautifully. MS is so far behind it's a joke. And the app gap is much worse than thought especially when you factor in the quality of apps

And now tried 2 week old Beta iOS10. Amazingly great software. It's two weeks old and blows away the 1 year old W10M beta, which relative to iOS10 is pure crapware.

No wonder Apple has defeated MS in the phone realm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb