Took advantage of the BOGO deal. Wow, so impressed by performance and camera quality.
    But I'm seeing SW stability issue with the OS...got real hot and started to drain battery just sitting idle. So I'm wondering what is the best build for 950 XL right now? My unit is currently running the 10586.218. Is it any better with the latest TH2 Insider Release build? Or any of the Redstone builds?
    04-28-2016 11:16 PM
    Took advantage of the BOGO deal. Wow, so impressed by performance and camera quality.
    But I'm seeing SW stability issue with the OS...got real hot and started to drain battery just sitting idle. So I'm wondering what is the best build for 950 XL right now? My unit is currently running the 10586.218. Is it any better with the latest TH2 Insider Release build? Or any of the Redstone builds?
    Not sure why it would be hot. Are apps still updating in the background? Or maybe still warm from updating apps and updating to the latest public build?
    04-28-2016 11:32 PM
    Some runaway OS process, I suppose. Screen wouldn't even turn on until I hard rebooted it. Everything was fine until now. OS and apps were updated right soon after I bought it yesterday. Which build are you guys running with?
    04-28-2016 11:36 PM
    Am on 14328 build and so far it is the best in fast insider build release . 14332 dint fair well for some .
    04-28-2016 11:37 PM
    Some runaway OS process, I suppose. Screen wouldn't even turn on until I hard rebooted it. Everything was fine until now. OS and apps were updated right soon after I bought it yesterday. Which build are you guys running with?
    Possibly. That's a little disconcerting. Anyway, the two new XLs I have are running 10586.218 as well.
    04-28-2016 11:47 PM
    After hard reboot I saw one issue I haven't come across in my 5.5 years of WP ownership: one tile on home screen (LINE app) was shown in darkened color and in the app list pane it reads "pending" under the icon. Even after reboot. Maybe it was being updated and got hung real bad. I was able to uninstall and reinstall it though. Will see how it goes.
    04-29-2016 12:04 AM
    I am on the same boat .218 build. Phone is getting insanely hot, and battery drains out in no time :(

Any recommendations on options?
    04-29-2016 12:09 AM
    wait a few days, as the unit updates all the apps and stuff on the background. battery life will get better.
    04-29-2016 12:21 AM
    Stay on the production build. phone usually gets hot in the first few hours due to app updates etc. give it some time and it will settle. Do not step into the insider builds if you want to use ur mobile for productivity. (my advice from trying insider builds on my daily driver)
    04-29-2016 12:48 AM
    If you want stability and USE it, stay on the Retail Branch (10586.218 ATM). I would suggest you go to the Prerelease Ring and go to .242.
    If you do NOT mind an occasional HARDRESET (hours of work), and want the latest features and BUGS, go to the Fast ring. I am having a good expierence with 14332 but 14322 (I think) made me hard reset and go back to TH for some days.

There WILL be SEVERE Bugs in the Fast ring. If you can live with it, great and report them. If not, which is perfectly fine, I would go to Release Preview (.242 ATM).
    ElronTheElder and xandros9 like this.
    04-29-2016 04:18 AM
    In my view, Release Preview helps out with R&D while still being able to trust your phone....almost all the time.
    I like to think that helps out a bit.
    Corwin_Amber1 and realwarder like this.
    04-29-2016 04:56 AM
    wait a few days, as the unit updates all the apps and stuff on the background. battery life will get better.
    Yeah but I already applied all OS and apps updates. (I know about some sluggishness during the mass app updates after OS install)
    Anyway, this is not about slowness; phone screen wouldn't even come on unless I hard rebooted.

For now I think I just see if it happens again. If it does, sounds like .242 build may be worth trying. Thanks everyone for input!
    04-29-2016 10:38 AM
    Yeah but I already applied all OS and apps updates. (I know about some sluggishness during the mass app updates after OS install)
    Anyway, this is not about slowness; phone screen wouldn't even come on unless I hard rebooted.

For now I think I just see if it happens again. If it does, sounds like .242 build may be worth trying. Thanks everyone for input!
    Is glance screen turned on? If yes you can trying turning that off. In .218 I've been having an issue where I go to turn the screen on and the Windows Hello iris reader lights up but I get nothing. I hit the power button again and give it a few seconds and try again then it works. I did hard reboot it the first time it happened because my 920 did the same thing to me on an early build of 10.
    04-29-2016 12:48 PM

I got one too and was running 218. 242 doesn't change anything much except felt Edge was more responsive.

Like you, even though all apps up to date and a couple of days later, still seeing some warmth at times.

There is reportedly a newer firmware on DRT than is rolled out OTA which may fix things that the OS doesn't. Just an idea to check if you haven't got too far into things.

I did a restore from backup and am wondering if something there is causing an issue too.

Currently reminds me of my 920 which had similar issues. At least 10 is upgraded much faster so I expect it to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Great phone though!
    04-29-2016 08:03 PM
    Like others have said. It gets hot the first days. It will be fine in a couple of days. I wouldn't go on redstone just yet. I suggest the release preview ring.
    04-30-2016 04:25 AM
    When is windows 10 original update coming???
    04-30-2016 04:30 AM
    When is windows 10 original update coming???
    All OS's are works in progress.
    Some more than others.
    To answer your question: Nobody knows.
    That "updates" are forthcoming is a good thing.
    MS seems to have a update Wednesday pretty regularly.
    04-30-2016 05:31 AM
    I'm using 10586.242 and enjoying stability - it's been loaded for a day, no over-heating, hanging or other issues noticed so far. And this is upon a lower spec'd device than the 950.
    04-30-2016 08:13 AM