950XL does not get LTE on AT&T

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
My 950XL does not get LTE on AT&T, it is always showing 4G. My sim card is originally used on 1520 which has LTE all the time. I tried to do factory reset with SIM card inside, the problem is still there. I also manually create APN, no luck. Phone itself has no problem.

What else should I do?

Edit: Call ATT service to add my new phone IMEI to their system, changed the SIM card, now the phone shows LTE instead of 4G.

Last edited:

tsax6010

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What did you use for your APN settings?

I set mine to this and have no issues getting LTE as a newly converted customer when I purchased my 950XL

APN: NXTGENPHONE
IP type: IPv4v6

Everything else blank or "None". Make sure to check the boxes to "Use this for LTE..." and "Apply this profile"​

The Default APN was working fine for me too, but I chose to make custom ones for LTE and MMS after reading a lot on the topic here and elsewhere.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't show "4G" but I'm definitely only getting 4G speed. I get around 10mbps on my RM-1085, while my girlfriend gets 25-30 on her Galaxy S6 Edge+ sitting right next to me. I put her SIM card in my phone and managed to get it up to the 25-30, but putting my SIM back in still only registered 5-10. I'm going to go to AT&T later and see if they'll give me a new SIM, but have them activate it in an AT&T-branded phone first to see if that will make any difference. I'll report back if the results are good.

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by tsax6010
What did you use for your APN settings?

I set mine to this and have no issues getting LTE as a newly converted customer when I purchased my 950XL

APN: NXTGENPHONE
IP type: IPv4v6

Everything else blank or "None". Make sure to check the boxes to "Use this for LTE..." and "Apply this profile"

The Default APN was working fine for me too, but I chose to make custom ones for LTE and MMS after reading a lot on the topic here and elsewhere.

Where/how to view and set the APN ?

Roscoe T Zern

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I am w ATT and having the same issue. I already got new Sims (dual sim version) and no improvement, then got a new phone and put the new sims in and has some improvement for a week. Now its back to E connection on the data sim. when I speed check it I am getting EDGE speeds... its a mess.

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
This is not the problem here, so it does not help at all for my case.

What's the difference? My 950xl was only 4G until I was able to get AT&T to provision the sim card to a AT&T 640 imei #, the sim wouldn't take to my AT&T 920 imei #.

Roscoe T Zern

May 2, 2016
Visit site
already did the IMEI registration w ATT. They did not have a problem with it being an unlocked 950xl dual sim. even when the phone does show LTE it moves data at sloth like speeds: max 4 down and 1 up.... ugh

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
already did the IMEI registration w ATT. They did not have a problem with it being an unlocked 950xl dual sim. even when the phone does show LTE it moves data at sloth like speeds: max 4 down and 1 up.... ugh

This is my issue too. I'm still convinced that it's a SIM card issue though because I get great speeds when I put my girlfriend's SIM card in my phone.

tsax6010

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I put in the APN settings as suggested above, rebooted and saw some improvement in speed, 5 down 5 up.

My experience has been that AT&T (compared to Verizon which is where I have been for years up until switching just last week) is much more variable on LTE speeds depending on the area. At my work I get 3-7 down and 2-3 up. 10 miles away at home I get 17-21 down and 10 or so up. Both suburban areas and about 3 bars shown on the phone at both locations.

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I called ATT, they added IMEI of Lumia 950XL to their system, and I also put a new SIM card. Now I get LTE indicated. Anyhow, I do not see any difference on speed. The speed test shows no difference on LTE and 4G previously (11M download and 5M upload).

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
4G is LTE. Whether they show 4G or LTE depends on the phone model. My Lumia 920 shows LTE and My 950XL shows 4G on the same network. I think what it shows can also be changed via a registry hack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb