May 15, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried the following

1. Turn off phone
  2. Remove sim
  3. Turn on phone and wait a few minutes
  4. Turn off phone and insert sim
  5. Turn on phone.
or (plug your phone into a pc / laptop and back up personal files and use the back up settings to back your phone before attempting the next step as it involves a factory reset).

1. Remove sim
  2. factory reset
  3. turn off phone immediately after it has completed
  4. Place in sim and go through the out of box experience.

If it doesn't work, try resetting with the sim inside the phone.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The signal on my 950XL is about the same on AT&T as my Icon was on Verizon. The VZW signal is better in certain spots of the facility I work at, but, throughout the Tampa Bay Area, I've gotten similar signal strength. Mostly LTE, with it occasionally going to 4G. I live in NW Hillsborough in a mostly rural area (just minutes from suburbs) and I just pulled 15Mbps down and 3Mbps up on LTE (varying 2 to 3 bars). Speeds will vary based on signal strength and tower saturation. Each tower has a certain amount of bandwidth, so, even if you have 4 or 5 bars, if a lot of people are using data on that tower at the time you test, you may get slow speeds. Way too many factors to consider here.

As far as the op and others having the no LTE problem are concerned, I've noted in two other threads that the correct way to do this is to go to a corporate AT&T store, preferably before your phone is powered and setup, and have them properly provision a SIM for your 950XL. Once done, pop it in, THEN power up and setup the phone. The vast majority of people either setup the phone first without the SIM, or didn't use a SIM provisioned by AT&T and boot the phone with it first. This method appears to be a surefire success, but I would be leery of the retail only stores.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
FWIW ... I picked up a 950 XL this week. I also picked up a new SIM card because my 1020 used a different size and I really didn't want to mess with cutting it down. I did put the new SIM in the 950 XL before powering it up for the first time. Once the initial setup was complete, I called AT&T to activate the new SIM. There has been no problem with getting LTE.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I am using the same SIM card I cut down to fit the 1520 when that was released, I was using the card for the Nexus 5 briefly, not sure when I got the SIM card, but it might have been new for the N5.
I initially setup the 950 XL with no SIM card in it, I did a factory reset after the first update, but I don't remember if the SIM card was in the phone for the next setup.
I never called ATT to activate the 950 XL, nor did I have to manually set my APN.
The LTE icon is on my top bar. I have not run any speed tests, but real usage has been acceptable.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried the APN settings, and still only 4g for me :(

Have you tried the (free version is fine) Netcheck app, to see what it shows as your rate/type?

I've never had the 4G problem, except if you count the lack of VoLTE. I've done a fair number of resets (early on), a couple of SIM replacements, and other random stuff with regards to cell connectivity. I figured I'd hit this, at some point (okay, so I'm almost afraid to make this post), and maybe I still will, who knows.
Another good thing to check is the Field Test, it can show you if you have LTE signal around, and just aren't using it for some reason (it has various LTE capabilities/status bits too, to show you what's available/on).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786