[WP10M, New Lumia 950 XL, Build .218] Real Bad Battery Issues Continued...

Sathya Ch

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
All,

I had posted a thread on heating and related battery issues on my Lumia 950 XL.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-10-0-10586-218]-real-bad-battery-issues.html

I ended up going to the Microsoft store with my old Lumia 950 XL. Extremely friendly staff -- ended up exchanging my old Lumia 950 XL for a brand new Lumia 950 XL.

However, my problems continue and in no less measure. To start with -- take a look at this chart -- https://imgur.com/cakoFbu

That is the chart of my battery charge burndown! The relatively gradual drop from midnight through ~7.30AM was when I was sleeping. I am ok with this drop.

The precipice (almost vertical drop) is this morning when I was using twitter to catch up on my timeline, and whatsapp to catch up with a few friends, and a very brief bit of instagram. None of which would qualify as "heavy" usage. Most definitely not heavy enough to cause such a drastic decline.

Nevertheless, I charged it ~8:50 AM as can be seen in the chart, and the good thing about this phone, it appears that it charges pretty quick, as can be seen on the chart. Let us say ~11AM. There ends the good story. From there on, its an aggressive discharge of the battery. Culminating in an absolute drain out this evening. All this while, I would say, there was no substantive usage of the phone!

Key points

1. I can imagine the first phone being a lemon, and to think that the second phone (new) too being a lemon? I want to think the probability of that should be low.

2. This time, in addition to disabling NFC, and facial recognition, I even turned off bluetooth pairing to my MSFT Band 2.

3. I can not be moving off the retail / stable build, so, suggestions to move to .242 (or other insider previews / fast rings) might not be very helpful

Does someone have any pointers that can be of use? Other users of 950XL, please can you let me know if you are seeing similar issues?

Greatly appreciate any pointers.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
All,

That is the chart of my battery charge burndown! The relatively gradual drop from midnight through ~7.30AM was when I was sleeping. I am ok with this drop.

The precipice (almost vertical drop) is this morning when I was using twitter to catch up on my timeline, and whatsapp to catch up with a few friends, and a very brief bit of instagram. None of which would qualify as "heavy" usage. Most definitely not heavy enough to cause such a drastic decline.

Nevertheless, I charged it ~8:50 AM as can be seen in the chart, and the good thing about this phone, it appears that it charges pretty quick, as can be seen on the chart. Let us say ~11AM. There ends the good story. From there on, its an aggressive discharge of the battery. Culminating in an absolute drain out this evening. All this while, I would say, there was no substantive usage of the phone!

Does someone have any pointers that can be of use? Other users of 950XL, please can you let me know if you are seeing similar issues?

A few things you can try out:
  • Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  • Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  • In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  • In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  • What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  • If you finds that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  • In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  • When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  • If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  • In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  • Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off

Hope this helps you

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
All,

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-10-0-10586-218]-real-bad-battery-issues.html

I ended up going to the Microsoft store with my old Lumia 950 XL. Extremely friendly staff -- ended up exchanging my old Lumia 950 XL for a brand new Lumia 950 XL.

However, my problems continue and in no less measure. To start with -- take a look at this chart -- https://imgur.com/cakoFbu

Key points

1. I can imagine the first phone being a lemon, and to think that the second phone (new) too being a lemon? I want to think the probability of that should be low.

2. This time, in addition to disabling NFC, and facial recognition, I even turned off bluetooth pairing to my MSFT Band 2.

3. I can not be moving off the retail / stable build, so, suggestions to move to .242 (or other insider previews / fast rings) might not be very helpful

Are you from India?? Thats gr8 that they gave u a new phone....My Lumia 950xl on .218 build is going gr8....i get full day of usage that too sometimes more than a day...so i am quite happy
I suggest you turn off the facebook sync it takes a lot of juice...

Shriniwas Shukla

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
All,

Key points

Same here my friend. with moderate use battery life is just 6-8 hours.Battery drain is faster when it is connected to wifi. For me average drain rate is 16% per hour.

Shriniwas Shukla

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
have you tried the suggestions I have made above? It's a big list

disabling everything is not solution my friend. I know if i turn off my phone's cellular data, wifi and disable some of the apps definitely it will not use any juice and battery backup will be more. for me its just 2 days with 950 XL and i was expecting at least 12 hr battery back up ( I know there are bugs in OS). btw thanks for the big list. its gonna help so many people.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it's Whatsapp, it went through a bunch of updates 2 or 3 weeks ago and since then I've noticed way warmer phone thus higher drain. That and Edge are my top two burners right now, by a lot. Last 24hrs is 20.5% edge and 17.3% whatsapp. Following that is Mail at 8.5%

I'm waiting for .242 to drop on production hopefully today before doing a reset of my phone.

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
disabling everything is not solution my friend. I know if i turn off my phone's cellular data, wifi and disable some of the apps definitely it will not use any juice and battery backup will be more. for me its just 2 days with 950 XL and i was expecting at least 12 hr battery back up ( I know there are bugs in OS). btw thanks for the big list. its gonna help so many people.

I'm in the same boat, please keep us updated if you find anything out. Being a new phone, I feel like it should at least last all day with heavy use.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
242 seems promising as I have a Lumia 625 on it and Ieft it on by accident (only connected via wifi, no sim) and I only remembered when it it chimed low battery 3+ days later!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

It's not about disabling everything but disabling what's not needed. Keeping wifi/cellular on at night when you're sleeping doesn't make sense. Or keeping auto update of apps on when you know you have limited cellular data. Or using 4G for whatsapp when you know messages come in at the same speed with 2G. Little things like this go a long way

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb