4G LTE Band 41 Can be Enabled

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So I am not sure who all knows about this, but apparently LTE Band 41 is disabled out of the box. It is easy to re-enable it (although doesn't really matter on AT&T since they don't use that band, this should be a Sprint band). Go to phone dialer and enter ##DATA# and it will display field test. Under settings there is an option for band locking. That will then let you enable/disable various bands. Band 41 is the only one that is unchecked.

Not sure this really matters to anyone, but thought I would mention it.

wp_ss_20160512_0001.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
enter ##DATA#

Usually it is written as ##3282#. Thanks for that fresh spin. Now I see what might have prompted the selection of that hash code for Field Test.

Never even heard of it

Field Test Menu? It's all over these forums...

Band 41 LTE? Useful in Asia: China, Japan, India, the Philippines all have Band 41 deployments. Madagascar has some too. The FCC auctioned off some Band 41 in the states, but it is underutilized here for Cellular.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
One of those work with Verizon?

Technically speaking LTE bands 2 and 4 should work on Verizon, but their main band 13 is not supported. So no, you cannot activate the phone on Verizon (besides you would have to convince them to let it onto the network and I don't think anyone has been successful talking to Verizon). So I agree with RumoredNow

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
There should not be any negatives for turning on additional bands. Even if the phone does not end up using those bands it should not cause any kind of problems. For what it's worth here are the cell service providers that support LTE Band 41 in Asia:

China Mobile
China Telecom
China Unicom
KDDI (Japan)
SoftBank (Japan; also owner of Sprint)
Globe (Phillippines)

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Any guesses as to why I can't pull this up on my RM-1085? When I dial in the number, it just tells me my phone number. Could it be that AT&T is blocking me from that menu?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Nope, ATT has nothing to do with this one. Some firmwares have field test menu in them, some don't. I've never seen a reason why that is.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the international version though--the single sim RM-1085. Can AT&T really dictate that kind of thing? Or maybe the code is different for this model?

Sorry, I didn't track down the RM # and mistakenly assumed you had the ATT variant.

I have a factory unlocked 1520.3 that can't access Field Test. As PepperdotNet says: some do, some don't and dang if we know why from this end.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
What if i enable only my country LTE bands? (28,4) It will eat less battery?

I actually thought about that and I went through and disabled all bands except for those that AT&T uses to see how the battery does. I could not tell any kind of difference. But it has only been 2 days so far since I did the change.

Anyways, give it a try, but I would not expect much if any battery improvement.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What if i enable only my country LTE bands? (28,4) It will eat less battery?

Probably not.

What you could do, if you are in an area where your data signal wavers between H+ and LTE is disable the H+ Bands or disable the LTE Bands to force one connection speed throughout.

Battery is impacted by shifts between data speeds and search for signal lock (handoffs). Your device won't try shifting between LTE it can "see" and LTE that does not exist.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Tried the ##DATA# on my Lumia 950XL and it gave me an error. I have the Single SIM International RM-1085 variant of the 950XL and I'm on USA T-Mobile. It actually looks like it tries to gather up the field data, but then pops up an error message. Oh well.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Tried the ##DATA# on my Lumia 950XL and it gave me an error. I have the Single SIM International RM-1085 variant of the 950XL and I'm on USA T-Mobile. It actually looks like it tries to gather up the field data, but then pops up an error message. Oh well.

That's probably due to your specific firmware. Apparently some firmware's don't allow it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99