No advertisements

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I find it strange that there are zero tv commercials for the 950 family. These are supposedly flagships that showcase W10M. I see commercials for iphones and galaxys all the time.
Perhaps the inaction is actually an admission of the horrible state of the software...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft have stated publicly that they are "retrenching" or in layman's terms they are not trying to complete in the consumer space, while they concentrate on getting Windows 10 the best it can be. At some point they plan to come out with something that shifts the paradigm.

The fact that with no advertising and a public statement that they aren't really trying to sell any phones, and yet they still sell phones, is a remarkable thing regardless of what you think of the almighty "market share."

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
pffft!! since when has a commercial made you go out and buy a product? I mean seriously.... not ever im sure lol

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Remember the Lumia 900 beta test adds? They knocked crApple and lagDroid for being beta and the Lumia 900 was the real deal. The 950's literally are a beta test. I wouldn't advertise either. It would only tarnish the pathetic bit of hope the platform has. Better no news than bad news. Once the Surface phone approaches, watch out. There will be commercials galore going after business minded and fanboys.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Remember the Lumia 900 beta test adds? They knocked crApple and lagDroid for being beta and the Lumia 900 was the real deal. The 950's literally are a beta test. I wouldn't advertise either. It would only tarnish the pathetic bit of hope the platform has. Better no news than bad news. Once the Surface phone approaches, watch out. There will be commercials galore going after business minded and fanboys.

A bit off topic but..I still feel bad for those Lumia 900 owners who got stuck in a contract until fall of 2014. ATT kept selling those phones well into 2013, and some just got out recently.

Anyone know what the windows phone 7 store looks like now?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft had learned that money spent on advertising phones doesn't pay for itself in terms of revenues or any impact on the market share. Carriers and phone shops do their own marketing, so this is the direction that things are heading.

It might also be an experiment to see how well the 650/950/950XL sell without having a central advertising presence.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Were great:
http://youtu.be/_elqLDSt36k

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
That ad campaign and the one for the Lumia 1020(parents rumbling for photos of kids) were great at the time. However, they didnt include U2 or the premise that their devices could cure diseases. Not joking about that one, look up the ipad commercials from 2012-2013.... The Surface Phone will be the decider, IMO. If the phones dont move the needle for market share, the platform is likely doomed. They just cant keep losing money on this. At that point there may be a partnership "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em" type thing. The groundwork is, arguably, already in place.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
That ad campaign and the one for the Lumia 1020(parents rumbling for photos of kids) were great at the time. However, they didnt include U2 or the premise that their devices could cure diseases. Not joking about that one, look up the ipad commercials from 2012-2013.... The Surface Phone will be the decider, IMO. If the phones dont move the needle for market share, the platform is likely doomed. They just cant keep losing money on this. At that point there may be a partnership "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em" type thing. The groundwork is, arguably, already in place.

Yep the 1020 ads were great and effective. I had 3 1020s in my family, took mostly amazing pics (minus the yellowing). People always asked me "is that the phone from the crazy parents' commercials?"...

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
A bit off topic but..I still feel bad for those Lumia 900 owners who got stuck in a contract until fall of 2014. ATT kept selling those phones well into 2013, and some just got out recently.

Anyone know what the windows phone 7 store looks like now?

Last time I pulled out my windows phone 7 device in January of this year (HTC Arrive on Sprint) the store was actually still fairly well stocked. And I forgot how much I loved the FB and other social media integration instead of having to use apps.

flitchtag

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
As a former iPhone 6S Plus user, I am also shocked at the lack of advertisements for the MS flagships. YOY sales declines matter in any business, and advertising works.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yep the 1020 ads were great and effective. I had 3 1020s in my family, took mostly amazing pics (minus the yellowing). People always asked me "is that the phone from the crazy parents' commercials?"...
And something special like the 1020 is what it will take to get back in this business. Just another "smartphone" will not improve sales. Most folks are uninformed of the difference and get what there friends have. I would have not found WP had it not been for the 1020. I knew I did not like the Iphone within a week. I was carrying a used Android, when the 1020 appeared, I wanted a super camera. That is how I found WP. It was not the best OS under Windows 8, but the camera made it worth the pain.
The push to a business class phone is a failed dream. Except for the real security jobs, where is no camera, no bluetooth, no wifi, most business does not care what phone you have.
Having had the 950XL, day one, and returning it as my last up vote for doubletap. From where I stand the 1020 is still the best phone for my needs. I end this rant with MS had nothing to advertise, and they knew it. All I wanted was a faster 1020, I am waiting.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
And something special like the 1020 is what it will take to get back in this business. Just another "smartphone" will not improve sales. Most folks are uninformed of the difference and get what there friends have. I would have not found WP had it not been for the 1020. I knew I did not like the Iphone within a week. I was carrying a used Android, when the 1020 appeared, I wanted a super camera. That is how I found WP. It was not the best OS under Windows 8, but the camera made it worth the pain.
The push to a business class phone is a failed dream. Except for the real security jobs, where is no camera, no bluetooth, no wifi, most business does not care what phone you have.
Having had the 950XL, day one, and returning it as my last up vote for doubletap. From where I stand the 1020 is still the best phone for my needs. I end this rant with MS had nothing to advertise, and they knew it. All I wanted was a faster 1020, I am waiting.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

I agree. But the 950xl camera is darn good and in some ways better than 1020; faster, no yellowing and OCS.

I believe the problem is rooted w horrible w10m software. The hardware is fine.

MS lack of commercials is simply a passive affirmation that the software is an embarrassment and needs to be hidden from potential customers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077