950XL Dual Sim DNG Camera Profile to fix Skintone/Sky issue.

RobotX

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how many people care about this since there aren't that many 950XL user, let alone care about this stuff too much.

Anyway, here's my story that I want to share.
I was processing a bunch of my pictures from 950XL and notice that skin tone gradation seem to be non existent in 90% of my shot. Now this is not white balance issue, in the beginning I thought it was just the light condition and sensor limitation.
However when I check it casually using X-Rite color chart, immediately I notice that there's not much difference between skin tone and orange hue.

So I did the proper Dual Illumination (2800K and 6500K profile) color profiling and generate a profile that generally works on all color temperature condition. (download link below).
With this profile I notice even more severe issues with Blue and Purple on top of the skin tones that's created by the original 950 Profile.

Here's the before and after color.
(Notice that there's no change on the greyscale since the white balance is perfect match)
950XLProfileComparison.jpg
Download the profile here (onedrive link).

With this profile I'm really happy with the result my 950XL Dual Sim produce and with that I want to share it with you all:grin:

Hope this helps the rare species of 950XL Raw shooter out there.

NOTE:
This profile is intended to process DNG from 950XL Dual Sim only.
Most likely it won't register for 950 or 950XL single sim.
JPEG don't apply here only DNG capture can be processed.
I use Adobe Lightroom to process the pictures with the profile.

RobotX

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
This work in Lightroom when processing the DNG file from Lumia 950XLDS :)
Once you copied the file to the proper folder (included in the zip txt file), simply go to develop > Camera Calibration and select the profile I provide.
You'll notice the difference immediately on the image.
LightroomCameraCalibration.jpg

RobotX

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
neat, MS should just apply these to the camera app algorithm? :D
They do, but their profile isn't great for skintone/bluesky :) There's actually 3 profile embedded in DNG produced by the 950XL
Now, I'm not sure how they decide to calibrate the profile.
Usually camera manufacturer uses bigger chart to calibrate and different lighting condition to tailor the profile based on their camera sensor characteristic. So I'm not sure why they missed this one. Maybe budget cut? :)

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Thx for the link... I will be testing this myself
Originally posted by RobotX
I'm not sure how many people care about this since there aren't that many 950XL user, let alone care about this stuff too much.

Anyway, here's my story that I want to share.
I was processing a bunch of my pictures from 950XL and notice that skin tone gradation seem to be non existent in 90% of my shot. Now this is not white balance issue, in the beginning I thought it was just the light condition and sensor limitation.
However when I check it casually using X-Rite color chart, immediately I notice that there's not much difference between skin tone and orange hue.

So I did the proper Dual Illumination (2800K and 6500K profile) color profiling and generate a profile that generally works on all color temperature condition. (download link below).
With this profile I notice even more severe issues with Blue and Purple on top of the skin tones that's created by the original 950 Profile.

Here's the before and after color.
(Notice that there's no change on the greyscale since the white balance is perfect match)
attachment.php

Download the profile here (onedrive link).

With this profile I'm really happy with the result my 950XL Dual Sim produce and with that I want to share it with you all:grin:

Hope this helps the rare species of 950XL Raw shooter out there.

NOTE:
This profile is intended to process DNG from 950XL Dual Sim only.
Most likely it won't register for 950 or 950XL single sim.
JPEG don't apply here only DNG capture can be processed.
I use Adobe Lightroom to process the pictures with the profile.

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot!

I've modified your color profiles to work with other models:
  • Lumia 950 Dual Sim - tested, 100% working
  • Lumia 950 Single Sim - untested
  • Lumia 950 XL Single Sim -untested
To download profile, follow THIS OneDrive link.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit of a bump but I just wanted to say thanks for the profile, this is really nice for those shots that you just want to get right. Awesome work!

squeezy99

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I will give this a try as I use Lightroom with my Nikons but I love the 950XL camera, so easy to use and portable. Images are very impressive.

RobotX

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Glad people are finding the profile useful and thanks to valuxin to convert the profile header to be used for other 950.
The Camera in Lumia 950XL are great. The resolution is also great for cropping.
Given the right lighting situation, it'll match the quality of Full Frame DSLR to an untrained eye.
There are many occasion now where I rely on 950xl due to convinience and raw capability instead of full DSLR and the result came out great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett