WIndows Update doesn't see 10586.318 on 950XL DS (T-Mobile)

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I would like to get some advice from the forum. My 950 XL DS (T-Mobile network) doesn't see the 10586.318 build when I go to Windows Update. I'm currently on 10586.218. I do not have the Windows Insider app installed. I would like to update my device without hard-resetting my device or erasing my device when using the Recover Tools. Is it possible to update to 10586.318 without erasing or hard-resetting my device? Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Cheers,
Justin

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
When you update it does not erase your data. Even if you use insider to update.
However some people like to do a hard reset after each update to have a clean slate.

You can sign up on insider and then the update will be available when you check for updates.

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
TruMetalGeek,
Thanks for the post. I do understand that when I update through "Windows Update", I don't lose my data (so that is the method I would like to use). You also mentioned using the WI App. From calmlu's post, it sounds like I can't upgrade to 10586.318 via the WI App (I wasn't sure if I could do that). I would like to stay on production builds since my 950XL is my daily driver. Again, thank you for the recommendation. I thought I read on another post that MS was aware of the problem (some 950XL DS not seeing the update). Hopefully they are aware of the problem and will provide a fix sometime in the near future....

Cheers,
Justin

calmlu

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I mean both fast and slow ring, I can't get any update. It seems our phone just stuck on 10586.218
It seems only way to solve this problem is a hard reset, but I also don't want to do it. Hopefully MS can realize this problem and fix it in the next update.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am using the 950XL DS on the T-Mobile network. I updated to 10586.318 the day it was released. The phone is unlocked so carrier has no effect on upgrades. Doing a hard reset after updating was only needed if you are on one of the Windows Insider preview versions, fast ring or slow ring. And even then I only did a hard reset if after updating I was having an issue. You do not need the Windows Insiders App to get the production version of W10M with a 950XL. And if you do set the Insider app to Slow or Fast ring you will get the Redstone version branch, not 10586.318.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I would like to get some advice from the forum. My 950 XL DS (T-Mobile network) doesn't see the 10586.318 build when I go to Windows Update. I'm currently on 10586.218. I do not have the Windows Insider app installed. I would like to update my device without hard-resetting my device or erasing my device when using the Recover Tools. Is it possible to update to 10586.318 without erasing or hard-resetting my device? Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Cheers,
Justin

just try using the insider app. Enrol into the insider program, download the app and select release ring. If the update comes through, download it, update and after updating, go back to insider and select production ring. Your phone will be good to go

calmlu

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I have tried both slow and fast ring. no redstone update came out. It only shows your device is up to date in phone update.

B797

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here!
I have a 950 XL DS (T-Mobile network) and am stuck on 10586.218.
Windows Update does not see any updates.
Please help!

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm (partially) glad to hear others are having problems as well (I wasn't sure if I was the only one). I did pull/remove my SIM and microSD card and tried to grab the latest update (after a soft-reset). No luck. Still stuck on 218. I'm hoping my phone will see the next update (i.e. 10586.338?) released for production. I will update this post if I figure out a way to update (without hard-resetting the device)...

calmlu

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Finally, i know where is the problem. we have a old firmware:16025.39005
you have to use windows device recovery tool update your firmware to 16082.36005
Capture.PNG

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
All,
Good news: I was able to use WDRT to update my device to the latest firmware.
Bad news: I ended up doing a complete hard reset of my device.

Gooder news: After updating the firmware, my device was able to update to 10586.318. I guess somewhere along the way, T-Mobile users lost a firmware update that was causing this issue.

I guess I'll be spending tomorrow re-setting up my device.... bummer...

Cheers,
Justin

calmlu

May 28, 2016
Visit site
weatheryoko
I'm sorry I just saw your post. WDRT will reset your phone. :(
I have another problem for my 950xl: my phone can only connect to T-mobile 4G instead of T-mobile LTE. Did you have the same problem?
Thanks,

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
calmlu,
I'm able to connect to T-Mobile LTE easily. On a different note, I am seeing that my Phone is dropping/disconnecting from my personal 5GHz WiFi signal/network. This was a problem with the phone originally when I bought it. Looks like the bug has been re-introduced in 10586.318...

Cheers,
Justin

calmlu

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi Justin
Thank you for you reply. How many sim cards do you have in you 950XL? If i just use one sim card, it seems LTE is ok, but if i plug two sim card in my phone the sim card 1 can only connect to 4G. It's a weird problem.

sincerely

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
calmlu,
Sorry for the delay. I just saw your post. To answer your question: I use just one SIM card. Sounds like that's problem the difference/what's causing the problems you're seeing (and I'm not)...

Cheers,
Justin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234