Clear Black Display sucks big time on the 950XL

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was driving today to Detroit and was using the maps app on my 950XL for the directions but couldn't see anything properly because the display would not brighten up (or the contrast) when sunlight fell on it...it was so annoying that I had to stop at a rest area...i knew I couldn't trust this phone so had kept my 920 with me, and finally had to use that one for the directions...the CBD on that one is light years ahead of the one on the 950XL...damn annoying...has anyone else noticed this?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was driving today to Detroit and was using the maps app on my 950XL for the directions but couldn't see anything properly because the display would not brighten up (or the contrast) when sunlight fell on it...it was so annoying that I had to stop at a rest area...i knew I couldn't trust this phone so had kept my 920 with me, and finally had to use that one for the directions...the CBD on that one is light years ahead of the one on the 950XL...damn annoying...has anyone else noticed this?

the light sensor wasn't covered by any chance?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is LCD while the 950 XL is OLED. LCDs usually have better sunlight readability than OLED screens. This has nothing to do with CBD. Besides did you have the sunlight readability mode switched ON under Extras >> Display?

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The 920 is LCD while the 950 XL is OLED. LCDs usually have better sunlight readability than OLED screens. This has nothing to do with CBD. Besides did you have the sunlight readability mode switched ON under Extras >> Display?

This. OLEDs usually sit around 250 nits while LEDs (LCD) can kick up to 400 and even 600 nits in some cases. iPhone 6 has 400 nits for example.

"When it comes to brightness, LED (TVs) have a slight advantage. LEDs are just really good at getting extremely bright. OLED (TVs) can get bright, too, but cranking OLED pixels to maximum brightness for extended periods not only reduces that pixel’s lifespan, but the pixel also takes a little while to return to total black."

OLED vs. LED | Digital Trends

Don't quote me on this as I'm writing this without any coffee!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Brightest phone out of any phone out there, beats the 950 as well.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL review: The Master Chief - page 3 - GSMArena.com

You need to set it to auto and then max. Without auto it can't reach as high brightness.

Next wipe the screen/sensors with a microfiber cloth. The glass on this thing stains and gets dirty easily. This also impacts the iris scan if you let the dirt/stains build up. Consider my lumia 830 never gets dirty. Seems the coating on this thing is not as great.

Narathan Read my link. It's not true of oleds anymore. Especially if you consider the style of design with the layout of pixels.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Besides did you have the sunlight readability mode switched ON under Extras >> Display?

I'm not sure when that was moved, but it's now in Extras/Color Profile. (I picked up a 950 XL this week with the $150 off sale, so the setup is fresh in my mind.)

FWIW ... Once everything was set up and all the old emails and texts had been collected, there have been absolutely none of the issues I've read about on this forum for months. I followed the advice about letting it update itself, then doing a hard reset and setting it up fresh without restoring from my previous 1020 on 8.1. It has been thoroughly enjoyable.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

I replied to this using the windowscentral app but it never showed up...but like mggm100 pointed out, it's under extras profile and mine was turned on

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Brightest phone out of any phone out there, beats the 950 as well.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL review: The Master Chief - page 3 - GSMArena.com

You need to set it to auto and then max. Without auto it can't reach as high brightness.

Next wipe the screen/sensors with a microfiber cloth. The glass on this thing stains and gets dirty easily. This also impacts the iris scan if you let the dirt/stains build up. Consider my lumia 830 never gets dirty. Seems the coating on this thing is not as great.

Narathan Read my link. It's not true of oleds anymore. Especially if you consider the style of design with the layout of pixels.

It is set to auto...but for some reason, when i pull the action center, it shows me the percentage on the brightness icon, and not 'automatic'. I'm pretty sure it used to say 'automatic' before. It is set to automatic though in the settings. So, not sure what's going wrong here.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It is set to auto...but for some reason, when i pull the action center, it shows me the percentage on the brightness icon, and not 'automatic'. I'm pretty sure it used to say 'automatic' before. It is set to automatic though in the settings. So, not sure what's going wrong here.

Not sure if it's a difference between production and redstone. But mine says "darkest, dark, bright, brightest" or something like that. And you need to have auto combined with brightest. IF this is not how production is supposed to be my guess would be auto combined with 100%. But I had a bug at one point where changing the values didn't change the brightness but it was on a particular build. Had to do a hard reset to fix it.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I own a 650, a oled screen. With auto brightness on, under direct sunlight it's amazing even in Darker mode (Redstone).
In Suggested mode I can read screen under sunlight with sunglasses on

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's a difference between production and redstone. But mine says "darkest, dark, bright, brightest" or something like that. And you need to have auto combined with brightest. IF this is not how production is supposed to be my guess would be auto combined with 100%. But I had a bug at one point where changing the values didn't change the brightness but it was on a particular build. Had to do a hard reset to fix it.

I have it at 100% and the brightness is set to auto. I wanted to uploaded a screenshot but for some reason I get an error saying I cannot access it.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure when that was moved, but it's now in Extras/Color Profile.

I don't have "sunlight readability mode" anywhere to be found on my device! because I am having the same problem with my phone when in sunlight and I have to set the brightness all the way to 100% and I still can hardly see anything.... can someone post a pic of what this setting is supposed to look like?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
hahahaha! ok so I just checked my phone and low & behold I had an update *14342.1004* and I NOW have the sunlight readability... wait (goes outside to test it) be back later LOL

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hahahaha! ok so I just checked my phone and low & behold I had an update *14342.1004* and I NOW have the sunlight readability... wait (goes outside to test it) be back later LOL

It's been a while since we've heard back from you, is everything alright on your end?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium