$499 For the 950XL.. Is it time to buy?

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I have been holding off for a long time for my next Windows Phone. I have been rolling with IPhones and various Androids and have been wanting to come back. But the high price point and the mediocre reviews have kept me away.

While $499 is still a lot of money, I am thinking that most of the bugs have been worked out and saving $150 might be the difference.

What do you think?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
My 950XL:
  • Keeps delete folders on SD drop some files a level higher, deleting some other files
  • Notification sounds keep becoming silent once every couple days until I reset phone
  • Photo button when phone is in screen lock mode I can never be sure what it does if pressed.
  • and I had paid about $900 for it

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is the dual sim on eBay for a little less:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...543&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/222013323937

And here is the single sim:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...543&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/201477719073
$448.00

Both are from a trusted seller based out of Texas. I've bought numerous phones from this seller without any issue.

Update:
In light of pankaj981's post, I would suggest you visit the above eBay seller after speaking with pankaj981 about his new 950XL. :)

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wait until tomorrow and I'll be able to sell a new one with warranty :) for a lesser price.

To answer your question, the 950 XL is a great device. You'll love it. WM10 performs solid on my device with occasional software hiccups.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Wait until tomorrow and I'll be able to sell a new one with warranty :) for a lesser price.

To answer your question, the 950 XL is a great device. You'll love it. WM10 performs solid on my device with occasional software hiccups.

What is happening tomorrow?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the Preview Build, and the 950XL is outstanding. I got mine a couple of months ago for $477 from Amazon (Single SIM international version). Best phone, by far, that I've ever had. There's still the occasional W10 bugs, but they are few and far between now.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have been holding off for a long time for my next Windows Phone. I have been rolling with IPhones and various Androids and have been wanting to come back. But the high price point and the mediocre reviews have kept me away.

While $499 is still a lot of money, I am thinking that most of the bugs have been worked out and saving $150 might be the difference.

What do you think?

That has been precisely my thinking until last Wednesday when I picked up a 950 XL at a Microsoft store. At this point I'm quite happy I did. I can't say I've experienced issues like some in here keep writing about. I did lose wifi twice during the time it was gathering old emails and text messages. But once that process was complete, the issue stopped. It has been operating without issue since then.

I did follow some setup advice given in Windows Central.

1) Make sure your SIM card is installed BEFORE you turn on the 950 for the first time
2) Setup the phone, but skip the Microsoft Account login
3) Once at the Start Screen, power the phone off and perform a Hard Reset (Hold down Volume-Down and power the phone on. When you see the ! on the screen, let go of Volume-Down. Then press: Volume-Up, Volume-Down, Power, Volume-Down
4) Setup the phone as normal - but do not restore your backup when prompted - start fresh

That should give you the best experience. Make sure you go into the Store and check for updates - let it download all the App updates. Once done, you can go into "My Library" and download the apps you want to install.

Edited to add: The Continuum dock offer is in effect (while supplies last). Mine is to be delivered Thursday).

Last edited:

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I am very excited to get the phone. I am looking to get the 2 sim version, as I have some international travel to do in the coming months and don't want to carry two phones. The dock offer is cool, I wasn't thinking about buying it, but if its free, its for me!!!

I am skeptical about having a new phone when I am overseas, but if I have it now I have some time to get used to it

Thanks for the advice

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
[
I am skeptical about having a new phone when I am overseas, but if I have it now I have some time to get used to it.

Let us know how it goes. I'll be doing the same thing, but not until October. Right now I'm in the process of trying to decide what type of SIM to get.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

mixaogion

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine when they had the free 950 promo last month. Ended up paying about $380 after splitting cost with a friend. It is an awesome device most of the time. Apps have been crashing a bit more than usual lately, but I knew what I signed up for when joining the Fast ring. If you happen to have a 920, 1020, trade it in to knock out another $150, making the phone $350 before tax. And it does come with a free display dock, too.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine when they had the free 950 promo last month. Ended up paying about $380 after splitting cost with a friend. It is an awesome device most of the time. Apps have been crashing a bit more than usual lately, but I knew what I signed up for when joining the Fast ring. If you happen to have a 920, 1020, trade it in to knock out another $150, making the phone $350 before tax. And it does come with a free display dock, too.

Any luck w production build? Battery life has been terrible for me on production

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Battery life isn't very good? That worries me.. But since the battery is replaceable, hopefully 2 batteries will get me through a big day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb