$499 For the 950XL.. Is it time to buy?

Ph0n6

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Funny, since people in my country (VN) seems to hate WP so much that the price drop here is pretty insane. I got the 950 XL for a mere 260$ 2ndhanded with 7 months of warranty left. What a both sad and awesome times to be a Windows mobile user. Even new one is retail at 430$ including the dock. But it's a great phone even at full retail price, unless you hate Windows that is lol.

RBX27

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I'm from the UK but working in Vietnam and there are some offers at $380 with a doc, brand new. I think a lot of confidence in Windows phones has disappeared since they have now sold the factory here to a Chinese company. At these prices they're an absolute bargain, only possible concern is if any spare parts will be needed. I think it's worth the risk though. Nokia, Windows Phones used to be very popular here as they were affordable, well made, long lasting. That's come to an end now and as they don't sell the Surface brand here or any OEM's for W10M, I can't see them retaining any mobile market here for a long time, if ever. To be fair I always wondered how they could ever have made any bottom line at all in these kind of markets...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Battery life isn't very good? That worries me.. But since the battery is replaceable, hopefully 2 batteries will get me through a big day.
Battery life is more or less comparable to a 1520 on WM10, that's actually the best you can get on a WP/WM flagship. It usually (almost) lasts a day with medium to heavy usage for me.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know that I just came back from my local Msft store. I showed them an Amazon deal for $480 for the dual sim one and they price matched it without betting an eye. Setting up the phone now along with my new sp4 and band 2.

Oh I have a nice iPhone 6s Plus and a 15" specced out MacBook Pro for sale lol.

By the way. The battery was completely drained on the new 950xl today. When I turned it on I just got the empty battery symbol (so not completely dead as it showed the charge now symbol).

Should I be worried about its health now?? I read somewhere it's bad for them to get completely discharged.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe it's so hard to find a spare batteries for these. If I could buy a spare battery with a charging dock (like the lg G4 and v10 ones) I would do it in a heart beat!

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I sold my 950 xl and returned to my 1520. The 950 does have some advantages. Mainly the screen quality. I found the 1520 to be a better more stable phone. Feels more sturdy, feels just as quick if not quicker, smoother to navigate. If I could run windows 8.1 on the 950xl, I would have kept it.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For anyone interested I have a 950XL that's mint and comes with a leather case/cover combo (unfortunately not Mozo) and tempered glass screen protector that's been on it since purchase that I'd like to unload. (got it for my Mom who wasn't a fan due to the size) I'd like to get $450 for it since it comes with some extras. I'll include shipping and insurance of course. PM me for more details or pictures.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Give it another couple months. now that windows phone market share is less than 1% ( .7%), you will likely see Fire Sales on these and get it for $299 soon.
Still too much IMO, but waste your money however you like.

Ph0n6

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I'm from the UK but working in Vietnam and there are some offers at $380 with a doc, brand new. I think a lot of confidence in Windows phones has disappeared since they have now sold the factory here to a Chinese company. At these prices they're an absolute bargain, only possible concern is if any spare parts will be needed. I think it's worth the risk though. Nokia, Windows Phones used to be very popular here as they were affordable, well made, long lasting. That's come to an end now and as they don't sell the Surface brand here or any OEM's for W10M, I can't see them retaining any mobile market here for a long time, if ever. To be fair I always wondered how they could ever have made any bottom line at all in these kind of markets...

Actually the marketshare of Lumias cheap lineup here used to be not too bad, almost among the highest around the globe of WP if I remember correctly. But there are some quality control issues here and there coupling with the flood of Chinese cheap Android phones (amittedly have gotten way better than what we have a few years ago) kinda sealed the fate of WP. Personally while I like the way they are focusing on bussiness and high-end smartphones, it also means that we won't see M$ presence in the mobile space of Asia for a long time.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
For anyone interested I have a 950XL that's mint and comes with a leather case/cover combo (unfortunately not Mozo) and tempered glass screen protector that's been on it since purchase that I'd like to unload. (got it for my Mom who wasn't a fan due to the size) I'd like to get $450 for it since it comes with some extras. I'll include shipping and insurance of course. PM me for more details or pictures.
Put it on the marketplace, you will get some traction there.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What is the battery draw Percentage rate in active use?
using this app https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fapps%2Fbattery%2F9wzdncrfjc2z&token=V9rQnJWb

I don't use that app, but here's a couple of screenshots of my use that I posted a couple days back in another thread. The most drop I ever see is around 8-12% per hour for certain games. About half that for browsing.
wp_ss_20160530_0001.jpgwp_ss_20160530_0002.jpg

Overall, the battery life is great now.

Oh, and for others, if the Galaxy S7 and iPhone are worth $700, then this phone is easily worth $500.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting...on the 950 i am getting over 12% on active use (web, twitter, news, etc, no games).
I updated, hard reset, then installed apps.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting...on the 950 i am getting over 12% on active use (web, twitter, news, etc, no games).
I updated, hard reset, then installed apps.

What build are you on? Also, what brightness level do you have your display set to? I keep mine between 10-15% with Auto-brightness enabled. Usually more than enough brightness for most situations (quick to bump up if not). The display is one of the main power drivers on the phone. If you have brightness set above 25%, your phone will drain much quicker when the display is on, especially when browsing the web or using the light theme for apps like twitter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo