Trying to Convert a friend from Android to 950xl

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
My advice: don't try to convert anyone. Simply lay out the options and let them decide. That way they only have themselves to blame if they don't like the decision they made.

Be open and honest about how you use your phone. Tell what you like about the OS, but also make sure to tell what you don't like.

Ask what they do with their current phone. I specifically ask if they use Snapchat. If they say they do, be frank and tell them that if that is a dealbreaker, then a Windows phone may not be for them. Let them know that situation is all on Snapchat: refuse to build an app and also actively sue anyone who tries to provide an alternative app.

If you don't already know the answer, ask what carrier they have. In the US, AT&T generally provides the most phone options--and also still offers the Lumia 640 as an inexpensive way to test the waters. Other carriers may only offer one option, or even none at all.

Of course an unlocked phone provides a lot more phone options and also means no carrier interference when it comes to OS updates. However, that may mean giving up a carrier feature. For example, my unlocked 950XL is on TMobile, and I had to give up Wi-Fi Calling. (The app won't install, and TMo won't help since the 950XL not a phone they sell).

Again, in the end just lay out the facts and let your friend decide for themself.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
- Messenger (its a total bs, it reloads everything during opening, not real time, sometimes starts to load and notify me messages which I received hours ago)
Exactly, I can't stand the app quality gap. This is frustrating because I really want a 950 (XL). The app gap doesn't really bother me, or the creaky cover, or W10M.

Messenger might get fixed in a month, or never. :/
I have a 1020 now, and while it's old and slow, it's easy to see that there's something else that makes Messenger like molasses slow. Will try the beta now, maybe it changes my opinion.. :D

Is there a similar music service that has a decent app for WM? I hate the Spotify app.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, I can't stand the app quality gap. This is frustrating because I really want a 950 (XL). The app gap doesn't really bother me, or the creaky cover, or W10M.

Messenger might get fixed in a month, or never. :/
I have a 1020 now, and while it's old and slow, it's easy to see that there's something else that makes Messenger like molasses slow. Will try the beta now, maybe it changes my opinion.. :D

Is there a similar music service that has a decent app for WM? I hate the Spotify app.

Well there is Groove.... but you get people who hate it with a passion and those who think it's great. It does have plenty of songs to listen to, it's just the app is sometimes not the best (although I personally have not really had much issues with it), but it is still being actively developed/fixed with new features added too.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I could wait forever, but the reason for buying one now is the lowered price. Right now the price is 60 % of what it was when launched.

A new model will probably not be available before April 2017 if presented at MWC. Waiting for the price to drop enough would take almost 18 months from today..

I won't pay the full price just to have it at launch. Given the half baked nature of 10586.0 I think it was a good move to wait.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I won't pay the full price just to have it at launch. Given the half baked nature of 10586.0 I think it was a good move to wait.

W10M's state when the 950 and 950XL were launched was a huge turnoff for me as well. There was no way I was going to pay $549/649 for what could be a pocket full of frustration.

A couple weeks ago the chance combination of a sudden, short-term sale ($499) on top of the 925 trade-in offer ($150), plus the renewed free Display Dock offer ($99) convinced me to upgrade to the 950XL. $349 (47%) for $748 worth of kit ain't bad.

As for W10M, I'm currently running build 10586.318. It is rock-solid and performs well. I haven't felt compelled to install any Insider builds yet.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
W10M's state when the 950 and 950XL were launched was a huge turnoff for me as well.
Yeah, as if MS preferred rushing the launch and scare people off rather than doing it properly.
After all, this was the biggest launch in 3 years (WP8), or maybe 5 (WP7).

I guess Redstone will be the big launch, and Threshhold was just bug squashing. :D

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I won't argue with you about it not being available on all devices.
That should be a given. It's a new technology.

I will apologize for using the term Intellectually Dishonest, as it probably was an honest mistake.

Calling it "limited availability" is the incorrect part of the statement.

Limited Availability means something IS available, but not to all regions or in great quantities.
Not because a previous version of something existing doesn't get it.
Nor is it based on new versions of things that don't get it.
That Does Not constitute Limited Availability.

And it;s a very negative connotation to an already struggling eco system that is far superior than
the ancient Flip phone innovation of Android and iPhone eco system.

everyone wanted a flip phone when they hit the market. it was all the rage you know.

It's not just semantics, it's an incorrect statement.

Not Supported and Limited Availability are 2 completely different things. And they mean completely different things.

Sorry if it sounds like I am trying to start a flame war,, but it drives me nuts...
It's a term that a know-nothing techno-jurno would use to trash WP and keep the masses lock step with crappy ancient tech.

I kind of understand what you mean, but I still disagree and believe that since Continuum is not available on all devices running w10m, its availability is limited.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Man the 950 and XL was nothing more than a beta test for "the fans" and people who knew no better.
Microsoft should have been up front about it and then maybe those of us that loved WPs and had been with them for years would still be there. Sold my XL months ago, still have my 920 and will not come back until the Surface Phone 2. I'm not beta testing another Microsoft device...ever. Oh and they need a real smart watch to get me back.

And I loved...loved windows phone and hated Android, but the XL fiasco was the last straw. Heck I'm even thinking of going over to IOS when the IP8 comes out...not the 7, but the 8. All they need to do is give me widgets on the home screen, but even then it's not a deal breaker as long as I have a smartwatch.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I reckon you should rethink your strategy. Try to convert your friend to MSFT services first, then think about converting to a W10 device as a natural evolution. Start with Skype, OneDrive, Office 365, Cortana, Microsoft Health + Band 2, perhaps Groove (unlike some, I actually like it), Xbox. Then start thinking about showing what benefits your friend would realize when switching to a native W10 device - that would help lessen some of the app gap pain.

My thoughts why your friend should jump the ship:
- services (full office includes 1TB of OneDrive storage) - nice to have
- price - 950XL is a tall order, I'd start with 640XL or 650. Neither is an impulse buy, but won't break the bank either. 2nd most important for me
- privacy - read MSFT's and GOOG's privacy agreements - #1 reason for me

MSFT collects a ton of data on me with my consent, but their privacy statement clearly states that they will not use that data sell me advertising.
Unlike GOOG, who makes their living off of it. If you use Android, you are the product, no the devices or services they sell to you.
This in and of itself is the primary reason I will never use Google's services, it's their sheer pervasiveness. Having worked in data privacy field for several years, I've grown cautious. Google's privacy agreement is one of the most egregious. You simply give up your rights to privacy.

May be their execs have the right intents, but it takes only one evil mind to reverse all of it years later. I agree with Musk - there is only one company to fear when it comes to data intelligence.

I even cringe when having to use Instagram, because my relatives do. I keep it private, don't share location and use a 3rd party 6tag app whenever I can.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Well guys,

I am back :)

I had the new Android flagship for almost a week now, and I am sending it back on Monday.

It was the HTC 10 with Android 6.0.1

While it was fast, the charger (head) stopped working after only the fourth charge cycle (funny)
and even I had all the apps I needed, something was missing to be honest...oh yeah and the bottom of the screen was sensitiv to touches like an LCD on your laptop....
you touched it, you have seen the mark for a few msec.

That is the windows OS..with all its bugs...

So I am back again, original software, not the fast ring and waiting for improvements.

- Messenger, the heck...I just don't care.
- Facebook app on Android (same sh*t different Platform )
- Spotify (yes it was fast and I am gonna miss it)
- Camera (hahaha 950 xl wins this round )
- Audio quality, the HTC one might have 24 bit dac and high-res flac recording with 96Khz still it has less microphones and no control over videos...cool)
- Display (bigger better on 950XL)

So my only wish is for now : 5.1 audio recording

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge as my main phone. Went to Europe in May and bought the Lumia 650. Amazing phone for the price of 200 euros, but I'm still hanging on both phones as I love the Lumia (always have loved windows phone/mobile) and also love my S6 Edge. Apps are getting better on Windows 10 Mobile. Heck today I took a picture with both phones and guess what the Lumia 650 had a better shot than my S6 hahaha.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Why would you do that to your friend? Windows Phone for consumers is dead. Plain and simple. To think or expect anything else is ludicrous. I used to for a long time try to convince or explain why WM was better but its not.....WM10 is hard on the eyes, the GUI is outdated and looks very plain compared to Android. It doesn't have the features or the Apps. And before you fanboys start flaming me know that I supported WM for over 7 years. After having a 950 which is a terrible phone, and having numerous hardware issues I finally got an S6 and yes, it has a lot of garbage apps ill never use but it works and has software to use on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss